Dick Dickey

Maybe it’s wise not to try to come up with a clever, pun-filled image caption for this person’s name…

Hello Funny Names Blog fans – Dave here with a rare Tuesday post!

Astute readers may know that I actually pre-wrote an entire month of posts so that I could focus more on the MCAT, which I’ll be taking on Thursday.  However, today I stumbled upon a truly exceptional name, and decided I simply couldn’t wait to share it with you.

What’s the name?

Dick Dickey

He was a basketball star at NC State in the late 1940’s, and became a member of the Boston Celtics for one season during the early years of the National Basketball association. Like many stars in sports’ early days, Dick Dickey ended up making most of his money outside of sports, where he spent 29 years in the insurance industry. However, he was also inducted into the Indiana Sports Hall of Fame, and his #70 jersey number was retired at NC State in his honor.

Hopefully it’s obvious by now that the Funny Names Blog isn’t like many “funny names” lists where they try to find as many gross, anatomical, or vulgar-sounding names as possible.  We enjoy the finer, more distinguished side of funny names. Though it wasn’t a policy, I think we actually went out of our way to avoid adult-themed names until Arto’s Ed Balls post.

But when Arto and I looked at our new subscribers the day after that post, and found no fewer than six women who regularly post about Christian topics (including one of our favorite commenters and bloggers Beatrix Mana), it got us thinking.  Then, on that same post about a left-leaning British politician named Ed Balls, we received possibly my all-time favorite comment so far, from outspoken Conservative Christian blogger Susan Shannon aka Short Little Rebel, which included these words:

It made me realize that other serious people really needed a laugh – something NOT mean spirited. Something easy and something cheerful. Something, in the end, that makes us realize that we are all humans, after all, and that we are alike. I mean, EVERYONE has to enjoy a Mr. Balls or a Mr. Hand article, right?

Apparently they used to make sports cards (brought to you by Coca Cola!) for college athletes.

That statement perfectly articulated the idea that we had just begun to think about: funny names have a near-universal appeal. Since then, we still exercise discretion, but no longer shy away from posting a semi-vulgar name if it’s one of the most famous funny names ever, or is oddly appropriate.

In fact, I just decided that this is worthy enough to become the newest Funny Names Theory!

The Ed Balls Reflection

1. Vulgarity alone does not make a name funny. However, some vulgar-sounding names are very funny.

2. When used sparingly and with discretion, this humor has near-universal appeal.

3. We will exercise restraint and moderation, but will not shy away from posting about people named Ed Balls or Dick Dickey when we discover them.

About Dave

Based out of San Diego, California. Co-founder of the Blog of Funny Names. funnynamesblog.wordpress.com
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Dick Dickey

1. Funny is as funny does. Rule 1 is so true. Rule 2 is the best one. Rule 3 provides both clarity and leeway. I was wondering where you would go with that tangent.

2. beatrix mana says:

I always like your posts,even though the people you post have funny names their lives are quite interesting. I was told when I was little that I would learn something new everyday. I sure do with your posts. Thank you.

3. As always – both entertaining and educational.
    On an aside… I have to say my first thought was poor chap – can you imagine the teasing at school when calling out the register – our school always had surname first and then christian name….

Please pity poor old Dickey,
    with such a dickey name,
    let’s hope he got his own back,
    and slam dunked his way to fame!

Good luck with the MCAT’s 🙂

Haha, that’s excellent! That one might win our Nipsey competition – the results will be announced soon!

I like that you wrote 85 words about Dick Dickey in this post entitled “Dick Dickey”; and 403 words on writing about Dick Dickey. The good news is, all of the words were delightful, as is the name Dick Dickey, which I just used four times in the space of 40 words, and can indeed therefore confirm is hilarious.

5. Love this post! Honest to God we had a female patient with the name Minnie Dick. Now, sometimes keeping your maiden name is necessary…this was one of those times. Now I am ver grateful Minnie never fancied Dick Dickey. Yes, that would be worse.

Haha, you’re so right! I kind of wish she had fancied Dick Dickey, though, just because the name “Minnie Dickey” is such a fun one.

6. Bumba says:

Hats off! I think. Yes, when you try to keep it clean, the dirty jokes are funnier.

I totally agree. I always thought the Queen of England could have an awesome second career as a stand-up comedian for that reason. It’s also part of why Betty White is so funny now as she advances in age.

• Bumba says:

I totally agree about Queen Elizabeth as a stand-up comedian. All she’d have to do is stand there, holding her pocketbook.
        and yes, Betty White is very funny too. Ever see Moms Mabley?

7. rhijulbec says:

Sometimes ya just hafta wonder what’s in these parents heads when they name their progeny! Would you not think they would picture their kid getting his/her a.s.s. kicked on the playground at school?

Haha, there were so many people named “Dick” in that generation that I assume it must not have had the same meaning. The name would have just been mildly amusing like “Carl Carlson” or “Bill Williamson.”

You don’t meet too many Dick’s or Dickie’s these days, though – for obvious reasons… This blog would be a lot easier to write if they still did 🙂

• rhijulbec says:

We had neighbours who’s last name was Liss. They named their son Richard! He used to introduce himself as “Richard Liss and do NOT call me Dick!” Poor guy was also a captain in the US Navy! Can you inagine the taunting behind his back??

8. Pingback: Our 100th Post! Sweet Brown’s Got Time for That! « The Blog of Funny Names

9. Pingback: The Funniest, Strangest and Most Impressive Names of NCAA March Madness 2015 : Complete Your Funny Name Bracket | The Blog of Funny Names

10. hot dife says:

If yyou are going for best contents like me, just go to see this website
    daily because it gives quality contents, thanks