Olympics 2012: Closing Ceremony for our London Coverage

Hello Dear Readers,

Today is awesome because it’s Arto’s birthday! (and because today’s post features original artwork!)

I’ve decided to celebrate by forgoing our usual Friday Funny Names in the News post. Instead, I’d like to conduct our own closing ceremony on a fantastic Olympics season here at the Blog of Funny Names, much as they’re probably doing in London right about now for the real Olympics.

All nationalistic puffery aside, we’re genuinely proud of all Olympic athletes and their accomplishments, and it has been a privilege to watch them push the limits of human activity and represent their countries and the world of mind-blowingly awesome names!

And to think, just two weeks ago, Saeid Mohammadpourkarkaragh was a name that we thought only existed in our imaginations!

This has been a record-setting two weeks not just for the athletes and organizers, but also for us here at The Blog of Funny Names. We found out quite early that our funny names Olympics coverage really struck a chord with readers and Googlers worldwide, and we hope that many of the thousands of new readers who found us recently will continue to return to get a dose of our fun little corner of the internet.

Just how big has this Olympics season been for us?

Huge!

And by that, we mean ginormous, gargantuan and overwhelmingly exciting.

As hard as it may be to believe, we don’t actually get paid to sit in front of our computers giggling at people’s amusing names and trying to be witty.

We do this because it’s fun, and we love hearing stories of people who succeed in spite of (or perhaps because of) everyone identifying them by some humorous concordance of letters and words.

Olympics and traffic. I love it when good things come together!

The only thing we love more than writing about these people is when we find readers who appreciate what we have to offer, and I think I speak for all of us when I say we’re grateful to every single one of you who does.

That’s why, when we experienced some unforeseen magical events happening on our hits counter, we decided to ride the wave and bring you the funny Olympic names you were all so desperately seeking. That, and it makes us feel popular, which is one of those things that makes us feel all warm and sparkly inside.

In the past two weeks, we’ve seen more people visit our site than in the previous thirty. That’s delightful, and we hope to see y’all again!

Of course, as our blogging pal extraordinaire Becky Gabo Mayhew so elegantly put it, you simply can’t have an Olympic ceremony without a random assortment of loosely-linked symbols that supposedly signify what values and traditions you hold dear.

For London’s opening ceremonies, that was apparently: Grass, some chimneys, a LOT of drums, Queen+James Bond=Parachute, loads of beds, scare the kids, internet dude, Mr. Bean.

And, since London hosted the Olympics and Becky lives kind of close to London, what better way to say thanks and recognize our own Olympics closing ceremony than with our very own Beckysaysthings-inspired  MS Paint masterpiece replete with British sayings! (and in Technicolor!)

So… what symbols do we hold dear? Well, after 4 seconds of a lot of thought, we came up with this representative list: Waldo, turnip, panflute, and Outerbridge Horsey VII.

Before you throw a wobbly and go off your trolley, chivvy along now because it’s all Tickety-Boo! Codswallop!

Thank you, from our interventricular septums!

(aka the bottoms of our hearts)

For those who somehow missed it, here is our 2012 Olympics coverage:

Cappie Pondexter
Funny Names at the Olympics are driving Gaylord Silly – FNITN 7
2012 Olympics: More Funny, Strange, and Hilarious Names
Funny Names in the Olympics Continued : Funniest Olympic Medalist Names Of All Time
Lowell Turpin, Tammy Thrower, Mike Fuchs, and more Funny Names in the News 8
Olympics 2012: Saeid Mohammadpourkarkaragh and His Heavyweight Name
Olympics 2012 : Stambolova Stumbles, Laugher vs. Giglmayer

About Dave

Based out of San Diego, California. Co-founder of the Blog of Funny Names. funnynamesblog.wordpress.com
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Olympics 2012: Closing Ceremony for our London Coverage

1. Woooooooooooo! Congratulations on your incredibly large and impressive …… stats. WOO HOO! And your representation of England is truly wonderful. EXCEPT that Waldo is called WALLY in the UK! We made him and called him Wally, and you lot decided to MUTATE him into Waldo! But your attempt at classic British sayings is masterful – well done. Tickety-Boo is a particular favourite of mine.
    Thanks for the Beckysaysthings loving, and thank you for making everyone think that my name is really Becky Gabo Mayhew!
    Big blogging love from Londonland 🙂

Sorry about the Wally MUTATION, 😉 although I still think Waldo is the funnier name, so I’d probably end up choosing that one anyway in a pinch.

Thanks for acknowledging my mastery of British sayings. I’ll admit I had to consult The Google on that one!

I didn’t know your name *wasn’t* Becky Gabo Mayhew. Have you checked your birth certificate lately?

I have to thank YOU for the inspiration! I never would have decided to draw such a sophisticated MS Paint image without you leading the way. You’re a trailblazer, Becky Gabo. A trailblazer!

2. amb says:

Happy Birthday Arto! So awesome that you get to celebrate by feeling warm and sparkly inside. (I’m sure there’s an innuendo in there somewhere, but I haven’t had my coffee yet so I’ll leave that in your capable hands…hey, there’s another one…)

Meanwhile, Dave, since our mind meld is obviously continuing, the Superfluous Olympic Closing Ceremonies are today as well. And you’re obviously on the podium: http://wp.me/p2myYW-kS

Arto also gets to celebrate with the ticket I’m buying him for the September 15th bout in Las Vegas between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and the extremely, extremely swoon-worthy Sergio Martinez, and I think he’s also going on a weekend trip to the pie capital of Southern California.

Man, if I get any more podium love, I’ll have to start my blog comments with “I want to thank God, …” That would be awkward. 🙂

• amb says:

Just Googled Sergio Martinez…think I may have to develop an interest in boxing now! Oh, my.

Arto and I will be watching him take on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in Las Vegas on September 15th. That was my birthday gift to him. His birthday gift to me this year? A picture of him holding mayonnaise. Mayonnaise is the only food item I can’t stand.

• amb says:

Really? Mayonnaise? But then what do you put on your BLTs?!? Not that I’m one to talk. I can’t stand watermelon or blueberries, which are perfectly lovely and harmless, apparently.

Well, I’ve recently gone vegetarian (thanks to the movie Forks Over Knives, which Arto’s wife made everyone watch during one of her famous “documentary nights”), so I don’t even have BLTs anymore.

That said, I’m a big believer in mustard. It’s delicious, punchy and basically calorie-free.

Blueberries are a super food. They’re really high in natural antioxidants which prevent all sorts of cancers. See if you can give them another try!

• amb says:

Do they count in pie form? Muffins? Cake??

I don’t see why not

• amb says:

Now we’re talking! Except that I’d have them with a cup of coffee …

3. Happy Birthday to Arto.

Dave-Congratulations on the huge uptick in stats. It’s every bloggers dream. Keep up the great work. I look forward to your posts every morning when I log in.

Thank you for the awesome comment! I didn’t use the term “interventricular septum” in this post all willy-nilly, that’s for sure. You are one of our favorite commenters, and it’s you guys that make everything fun!

Happy Birthday, Arto!

5. metan says:

Those stats are hilarious, it is a little like you were freshly pressed although at least this way you haven’t got so many people shamelessly self-promoting 🙂

6. Pingback: Kash Kade Biermann Ushers In Funny Names In The News 9 « The Blog of Funny Names

7. Pingback: Critter Fuqua and the Old Crow Medicine Show « The Blog of Funny Names

8. If you’re still not sure, don’t be afraid to give the
    Gamefly trial a shot. ) Asus will provide a cross-ship option that offers
    the customer the least amount of system downtime, the company said.

Spain was the homeland to Maria and her entire family.