Konstantinos “Dino” Stamatopoulos

Konstantinos Stamatopoulos as Alex “Star-Burns” Osborne. The name is self-explanatory.

If longtime readers know anything about the writers of the Blog of Funny Names, they know that we enjoy funny names and we absolutely love NBC’s Community. In fact, many of our most notable “firsts” (such as our first FNITN, and my first guest post) have been Community-related.

For the uninitiated, Community does a masterful job of toying with the boundaries of acceptable network comedy fare. One of its main characters, Abed, constantly breaks the fourth wall – a big television no-no. However, due to the fact that he has some undiagnosable condition that makes him view everything through the lens of a movie or TV show, it fits into the show’s storyline. The show has filmed episodes in claymation, 8-bit Nintendo NES graphics, and constantly satirizes other popular shows – Law and Order and Glee were spoofed to hilarious effect last season.

So when I heard that the network was pushing back the show’s fourth season premiere (originally slated for October 19th) indefinitely, and then found out that the cast came up with the idea to film their own YouTube video self-referentially poking fun at this development, I wasn’t at all surprised. It’s part of the brilliance I’ve come to expect from the Community cast and writers.

The anticipation is killing me, mostly because last season’s finale had a major cliffhanger involving fan favorite Alex “Starburns” Osborne. How does this fit into a Funny Names post? Well, Star-Burns is portrayed by Konstantinos “Dino” Stamatopoulos, who is also a writer for the show. (He’s not the only writer-actor on this show, either. Donald Glover, who portrays Troy, began as a writer for 30 Rock at age 25.)

Stamatopoulos is an accomplished fella. His 20-year writing career has included stints with Mr. Show, TV Funhous, Mad TV, David Letterman, Conan O’Brien, and two Adult Swim cartoons that he created prior to joining Community. Add to that a hilarious tenure as Greendale Community College’s most lovable misfit, and you have quite a guy, even if co-star Joel McHale can’t seem to stop telling him to get his teeth fixed (spoiler alert).

In any case, we look forward to seeing more of Konstantinos Stamatopoulos’ work on October 19th, whenever that ends up being…

What, me worry?

About Dave

Based out of San Diego, California. Co-founder of the Blog of Funny Names. funnynamesblog.wordpress.com
This entry was posted in Greatest hits. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Konstantinos “Dino” Stamatopoulos

1. unfetteredbs says:

Happy October 19th! (why do they always cancel the good ones?)

We still have some good ones going – Dexter, Community, Homeland – so I’m feeling hopeful that they don’t cancel all the good ones. I was sad to see Fox’s “Lights Out” cancelled a year or two ago, though. That was an excellent series that never really gained traction – I only started watching it after it went off the air, so I guess I’m part of the problem 😦

2. Community is such a smart show! I’ve ofter thought “too smart” for this dumbed down society we are living in these days. When Honey Boo-boo is still on and Community is delayed….something is seriously wrong. Great post! I am in LOVE with the starburns!!!

I know – there is something up with the world right now! I’m glad you love Star-Burns – I wouldn’t expect anything less from you, my friend! 🙂

3. amb says:

Dave!! This made me so happy, on so many levels! *swoon*

Amber, Amber, Amber… you know I swoon every time I see you use that word, don’t you? 😉 I had a feeling you’d enjoy this post. I’ve been going through a busy stretch and have missed a few recent blog posts, so this felt like a great way to get back into the swing of things. Let’s just hope October 19th is soon!

• amb says:

You know I enjoyed it – how could I not, with our now infamous tv-mind-melding?!? (We really should patent that). October 19th is in our hearts!! And anyway, Homeland has officially been renewed for a third season, so there’s that.