Warrior

Warrior has appeared on C-Span to discuss his political views. What a guy!

What is the Ultimate Warrior doing now? Appearing on C-Span to discuss his political views, that’s what! What a guy!

Warrior (born James Brian Hellwig, June 16, 1959) is … wait, I know what you’re thinking – the guy’s real name is Warrior? Yes, his name is Warrior. Warrior! The reason for the awesome name shall become apparent soon enough.

Anyway, Warrior is a retired pro wrestler who gained great fame as the Ultimate Warrior, a larger-than-life, face painted, muscular modern day warrior…or something. In any case, the Ultimate Warrior was one of the most colorful, amusing and beloved wrestlers of the late 80’s and early 90’s. He ended his wrestling career with 2 Intercontinental Championship reigns and one WWF Championship reign, and is undoubtedly a wrestling legend.

Despite having, in my opinion, less-than-stellar wrestling skills, Warrior more than made up for it with his intensity and charisma… and some of the greatest promos (interviews) the wrestling world has ever seen. Instead of trying to explain the awesomeness that is an Ultimate Warrior promo, I’ll just let the video do the talking:

But anyway, back to the name. Hellwig legally changed his name to Warrior in 1993, likely for copyright reasons. Both he and his employer were involved in extensive litigation, with each side claiming they owned the names “Warrior” and “Ultimate Warrior.” The court ruled in Warrior’s favor, allowing him the use of the name and wrestling character. Warrior’s one-word name is found on all legal documents pertaining to Warrior.

How awesome is that? You go, Warrior!

About Rob

Huge San Diego Padres fan, working as an economic consultant in Pasadena, CA. Contributor to the Funny Names Blog. funnynamesblog.wordpress.com

23 Responses to Warrior

Fun fact: with this post, Rob has set the record for the shortest name of anyone ever profiled on the Blog of Funny Names (as long as the spaces in Ed Balls and Kip Sopp are considered characters).

Oh man, and those promos are something else. I don’t know how I ever thought that character was so cool while growing up.

… Oh, never mind, I do remember. I was 5 or 6 at the time. 🙂

• Rob says:

I think it’s totally understandable. Warrior was so over with the fans. He had a gimmick that no one, before or since, has come close to. I love his quote “I live for a good frustration, combat is what it will be!” I never knew combat was a frustration, but now I do!

That is pretty fantastic! I can’t recall a word he says because nothing is logical. It sounds cool though, and that’s the important thing with wrestling promos

3. amb says:

You go Rob! Thanks for waking me up with those promos this morning. Personally, I enjoy the way that Warrior’s eye makeup is always colour co-ordinated with his wristbands and his … erm … bicep tassels?

It is impressive, isn’t it? That he can emerge from parts unknown, across galaxies of thunder and combat, through the veil of fear and tumult that lives in the hearts of all the warriors, and still coordinate the facepaint that adorns his raw flesh with the bands that encompass his hands of justiccccce!

In case I didn’t make it clear, I personally enjoy that fact as well. 🙂

• amb says:

Yeah, well, I enjoy YOU, so there you go 🙂

• amb says:

Also that whole “hands of justicccccce” thing. Cracked me up.

I’m glad to hear it. It’s actually kind of fun to write as though you’re the Ultimate Warrior. It really stretches your ability to pin unnecessary (but cool sounding) verbs and adjectives to a series of non sequitur statements. You never know when that could come in handy 🙂

• Rob says:

Haha my pleasure! The bicep tassels are pretty classy, aren’t they?

why do you suppose bicep tassles never caught on? hoo boy. Thanks for a morning video experience that I’ve never had until today 🙂 You guys are really expanding my horizons.

5. This is amazing. I’m not sure which I enjoyed more, Rob’s post, the colorful video or the comment threads which followed.

I’m with Liz on this one, you are really expanding my horizons.

6. paralaxvu says:

Didn’t look at the video, but the still has me wondering–why does his head look so small in that suit? Is he taking lessons from Kristin Wiig? BTW, you’re funny, as usual;-)

I’m not sure, but now that you mention it, it does look small. Maybe it’s just due to the fact that he’s a really burly guy.

I presume you’re talking about Kristin Wiig’s old “and I’M Judith!” sketches from SNL?