Chi McBride

The last time I talked about a boy on this blog, I will admit that, yes, I may have gotten perhaps just a tiny bit carried away. I can assure you that this won’t be happening today, my friends. Not because I’ve suddenly and mysteriously matured in some way (perish the thought!) but because today’s funny-named actor has one of the most marvelously mellifluous voices on television. Everyone sit back, relax, and enjoy the oh-so-smooth stylings of Mr. Chi McBride:

Have his dulcet tones drawn you in to the drama? Do you not want to keep watching this show, just to hear Chi tell the rest of the story? You should; “Golden Boy” is, at least according to this particular culture vulture, one of the best new dramas of the season. But that’s another Favourite Television Show You’ve Never Heard Of  for another time; today’s post is all about Chi. Which, by the way, is pronounced “shy” (as in, the opposite of Amber) and not “chi” (as in, tai-chi).
Chi McBride with a daisy

“Pushing Daisies” may have gotten cancelled, but this picture of a very big Chi with a very tiny flower is forever

I wasn’t kidding when I said his stylings were smooth: although he’s best known for his roles on long running television drama series like “House” and “The Practice”, Chi grew up singing with gospel choirs in his native Chicago, and his first success in show business came with the song “He’s the Champ”, which parodied the marriage of boxer Mike Tyson and actress Robin Givens. I’ll leave it up to Dave to make some boxing jokes in the comments, and will just say that the tune was a knock out hit. (*groan* I know. I’m sorry Dave – deceased paleontologist references I can handle; but boxing puns are way out of my weight-class). Anyway, based on the tune’s success, McBride was signed by Esquire Records and he joined the rhythm and blues band Covert.

Once he hit the ripe old age of thirty, Chi decided that it was time to make the switch from reading sheet music to reading scripts, so he headed to L.A. His distinctive look and voice quickly earned him guest spots on popular shows like “In Living Color” and “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” and he’s worked steadily in TV and film ever since. In fact, “steadily” might be an understatement: my showbiz sources tell me that Chi has played the same character (Steven Harper) in three different television series spanning from 1997 to 2004: “The Practice”, “Boston Public” and “Boston Legal”.

“Golden Boy” airs Tuesday nights on CBS; if you’ve already googled “funny names blog + amb” and are looking for a way to fill your Tuesday evenings, might I suggest mellowing out with Chi?

love amb

About amb

Would rather spend time in TV land than Corporate World. Writes at wordsbecomesuperfluous.com and wishes she was more like Ingrid Bergman.
This entry was posted in funny names in tv and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Chi McBride

1. Pingback: I’m (Also) at The Blog of Funny Names Today! | words become superfluous

Wonderfully written, amb. Now if you could just record Mr. McBride reading your post aloud. Wouldn’t that be dreamy?

Chi is a good name. I remember the great golfer Chi Chi Rodriguez, who I first learned about when he did some ads for a magical magnetic bracelet that solved all of your health problems.

• amb says:

Sweet. Sounds almost as good as Offer Shlomi and his magical lint roller that can clean your whole house. Oh, I’m down the infomercial rabbit hole now …

I love that guy! It’s a shame he was felled by a prostitution scandal… he could’ve been the heir to Billy Mays’ throne!

• amb says:

So true! By the way, very impressed that you managed to avoid making any slap-chop jokes when referring to the above scandal. Well done!

Nice to see you branching out, AMB. Your writing has pizzazz. Or maybe it’s love.

I’m drawing a blank stare on almost all your cultural references, reinforcing my Rip Van Wrinkle-ishness.

Is Hill Street Blues still on or did they cancel it?

• amb says:

LOL!! Maybe. Although I’ve talked like this since long before a certain BoFN boy showed up. Now I just talk … more, if such a thing is even possible.

I love the word “Rip Van Winkle-ishness” … am going to have to figure out how to work that into an upcoming Wordful Wednesday! 🙂

Hill Street Blues is still on in syndication and is streaming on Hulu – isn’t technology the greatest? How would I ever keep up with all my Favourite Shows You’ve Never Heard Of without it?!?

• wdydfae says:

“BoFN boy” is a good word, too.

“So, what kind of boy is he?”
        “He’s . . . he’s . . . How can I describe it? He’s just an amazingly, incredibly BoFN boy!

5. Pingback: Fionnula Flanagan | The Blog of Funny Names