Bumpus Jones and Bobo Holloman

The no-hitter is one of baseball’s rarer feats. Since the first no-hitter was thrown in the 1870’s, there have only been 278 more – or an average of about 2 per year. No-hitters are often thrown by great pitchers, and in fact, even some of baseball’s all-time greats have gone their entire career without throwing the much-heralded no-no.

But we’re not here to celebrate greatness. We’re here for funny names. And it turns out that two of baseball’s most improbable no-hitters were thrown by two great named guys – Bobo Holloman and Bumpus Jones.

The man, the myth - Bumpus Jones. (Credit: sabr.org)

The man, the myth – Bumpus Jones. (Credit: sabr.org)

Charles Leander “Bumpus” Jones was not a very good pitcher. However, despite having a career that spanned all of eight games, Bumpus hurled a no-hitter in his first major league appearance! Unbelievable. That incredible no-no awesomeness is matched only by Johnny Vander Meer’s insane feat of pitching no-hitters in back-to-back starts! But back to Bumpus. On October 15, 1892, the last day of the season, Bumpus bested the Cincinnati Reds, 7-1 (the one run scored on an error), giving up four walks. The next season, he appeared in seven games, going 1-4 with a 10.19 ERA. He would never pitch in the Majors again. He finished his short career with a 2-4 record, a 7.99 ERA, and 10 strikeouts.

Which brings us to Alva Lee “Bobo” Holloman. In terms of no-hitter awesomeness, Bobo is a complete and utter slacker compared to Bumpus. Bobo didn’t throw a no-no in his first Major League appearance. It took him until his second appearance – but first start – to get his no-no, beating the Philadelphia A’s on May 6, 1953. Like Bumpus, Bobo didn’t do much after that, pitching only 20 more games, compiling a career record of 3-7 with a 5.23 ERA and 25 strikeouts in his three-month career.

And there you have it – Bumpus and Bobo. Baseball’s most unlikely no-nos.

About Rob

Huge San Diego Padres fan, working as an economic consultant in Pasadena, CA. Contributor to the Funny Names Blog. funnynamesblog.wordpress.com
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Bumpus Jones and Bobo Holloman

Those are truly funny names. Not just odd. Not just a bit different or out there.Truly funny lol names. Bumpus and Bobo. *shaking head* Thanks, Rob!

2. amb says:

Rob, I think that “Bobo is a complete and utter slacker compared to Bumpus.” might be my favourite sentence you’ve ever written on this blog!

• Rob says:

Why thank you! It’s definitely a sentence you don’t hear every day. And that u in favourite is so Canadian! 🙂

• amb says:

Lol! I know; WordPress keeps wanting to spellcheck me, and I’m like, no no, I’m international .

• Rob says:

You must think you’re super special with the whole italicization of international. 😉 You sure are a colourful gal, though.

• amb says:

Of course 😉

But you can be special too, muffin. Put em and /em in the little pointy brackets around words and you can have as much italicization as you want!

3. Rob-what a great post. Bumpus and Bobo great names. What I can’t believe is that Ogden Nash didn’t immortalize them. . .

Yeah, and I like that Rob used the term “no no” so often here!

5. Ohhh, you have no idea how happy the name Bumpus Jones has made me. I actually think that is the best name I’ve ever heard in my life. In fact I’m going to change my name to Bumpus Jones. Damn, I just love saying it. Bumpus Jones. Bumpus Bumpus Bumpus. Christ, I enjoyed that. 🙂

6. Pingback: What should we call Arto? | The Blog of Funny Names