Asa Maxwell Thornton Farr Butterfield

I came across this amazing name while I was watching movie trailers on the IMDB website the other day. (It’s something I do. Just go with it; it’s part of my charm). We’ll talk about the trailer shortly; my geek heart needs a minute to recover first. While I’m getting over that, let’s chat about Asa, shall we?

Asa has been making films for nearly a decade, which is saying something, because he just turned 16 last month! When he was 10 years old, he was nominated for a British Independent Film Award for his role in the deeply affecting Holocaust drama, “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas”.

Asa Butterfield

Look, Asa, I’m really sorry about that whole “microwave incident”. I’ll try to get it together, I promise.

He continued to demonstrate wisdom beyond his years by choosing films that were made by well-respected members of Hollywood: by the time he was 12, he had already worked with Oscar winners Emma Thompson (in “Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang”) and Martin Scorsese (in “Hugo”). By the time I was 12, I chose after-school snacks that were made almost entirely of corn syrup and red dye number 40, and demonstrated my wisdom by putting tin foil in the microwave. I’m just saying.

On that note, I do believe I’m sufficiently recovered, so let’s get to the good stuff:

Asa will be starring in the upcoming movie adaptation of the best-selling novel “Ender’s Game”.

The trailer has just been released, and, you guys, it looks amazing!!!

For those of you who might not be familiar with the book, “Ender’s Game” takes place in a future when humankind has been decimated by two brutal conflicts with an alien species. In a desperate attempt to save the population from extinction, human children are selected to train for combat at the Battle School, located in Earth’s orbit.

I know, I know. It sounds … spacey. But one of the things that I love about science fiction is that a fantastically rendered alternate universe can be used to illustrate problematic value systems and social structures here on Earth. It can encourage critical thinking about how we, as individuals, can choose to participate in, or perhaps challenge, those cultural narratives that we might otherwise take for granted.

Science fiction messes with your mind … in the best possible way. I’ve talked about this in my own little corner of the universe once or twice; come visit and we can continue our conversation. We haven’t even touched on the ways that Ender represents morality, or the idea that your intentions can shape your ethics … or how wicked Ben Kingsley looks with his super awesome face tattoo. You guys, we have so much to talk about!!!

Whew. See: I told you I would need a minute.

love amb

About amb

Would rather spend time in TV land than Corporate World. Writes at wordsbecomesuperfluous.com and wishes she was more like Ingrid Bergman.
This entry was posted in funny names in movies and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Asa Maxwell Thornton Farr Butterfield

ENDER’S GAME IS MY FAVORITE FICTIONAL NOVEL OF ALL TIME! (Admittedly I haven’t read a whole lot of fiction since high school, but I’ve read that book 3 times since then)

amb, you’ve redeemed yourself for your The Voice misstep.

• amb says:

I’m about 2/3 of the way through it right now. SO. GOOD. I won’t even tell you how late I stayed up reading last night – definitely pulled a Mad Dave with that one!

Ha – you say “misstep”, I say, “keeping you on your toes” xo.

What a great name! Am duly impressed–five names and only 16 years old. Sheesh. And so accomplished. lol the foil in the microwave. Try a bar of Dove soap sometime–it’s hilarious. (I’M just saying 😉 )

I can see the geek glasses (is that what you called them?) are back on as you’ve spun some crazy-intelligent phrases here. My fave part is how you summed up a particularly brilliant paragraph with “Science fiction messes with your mind.” Perfect!!!! You should be writing those trailers. Perhaps Hollywood will come knocking one of these days? Then you’ll be invited to all of those star parties and maybe even meet Ryan G 🙂

• amb says:

Right?!? My parents only gave me one middle name – I’m sure that’s the reason I’m not a super accomplished movie star by now …

LOL at the Dove soap. And curious, now, too ….

Thank you Liz! I did indeed put the geek glasses back on for this one. I’m so glad you enjoyed it! And thank you for the vote of confidence in my trailer-writing abilities. You know I’ll bring you with me to Ryan’s party! 🙂

• Liz says:

was hoping you’d bring me 😉 just watched the movie trailer and seems a good role for HFord. (Did you see his Morning Glory a few years back? not a good character for him at all–my opinion.) Movie looks a bit intense for me–I think I’d be scrunched down in the seat covering my eyes for a lot of it. Will you report back after you’ve seen?

Y’know, I only have one middle name as well, though never made the connection with that being why I’m not famous. Totally explains it.

• amb says:

Of course! 🙂 Yes, I’ve seen MG and totally agree with you, I don’t think it suited him at all either. I found the whole movie was awkward! For sure will report back after I’ve seen Ender. I may watch parts of it scrunched down myself, lol. I’m really curious to see how they’ll depict some of the more brutal scenes from the book, or if they’ll depict them at all …

LOL! Totally!!

3. Bonnie says:

Amb..this:

“But one of the things that I love about science fiction is that a fantastically rendered alternate universe can be used to illustrate problematic value systems and social structures here on Earth. It can encourage critical thinking about how we, as individuals, can choose to participate in, or perhaps challenge, those cultural narratives that we might otherwise take for granted.”

= fantastic! I have to admit, I am not a sci-fan in general, but I do have my moments. With this description…I think I can be persuaded! Love the correlation with names and success. Now I know! xo

• amb says:

Thanks Bon! I’m so glad you think so. I had fun writing this one 🙂 Let me know if you come across any sci-fi you particularly like and I’ll be sure to check it out. Lovely to see you as always, my friend!!

Asa? What the heck kind of a name is that? Funny, that’s what.

You know what else was surprising that I just learned? Harrison Ford’s real name is Harrison Ford. I mean, that’s just such a made-up sounding perfectly measured movie-star name that I thought it must’ve been a fake name and he was born Eldridge Hornberger or something. But no, real name. Go figure.

• amb says:

Dude. I know just what you mean. Harrison Ford is right up there with Cary Grant and Rock Hudson in terms of perfectly-measured-ness. I didn’t know that was his real name either! I’m all kinds of impressed. Just when we thought Indiana Jones couldn’t get any cooler, eh?

5. Amb does this mean you are proposing another funny names theory such as the Multiple Middle Name Success Magnifier? It worked for Picasso…

Loved the post.

• amb says:

I LOVE that! Brilliant!

Mind you, whether I’m proposing it or not depends on how much trouble I’m in for all my talk this week, and on how much of his actual, non-blogging work Dave got done last night. I’ll behave myself (for now) and leave that one in his corner.

I’m so glad you liked the post 🙂

• I loved the part about the microwave. It just makes we want to microwave giant marshmallows. Only my older, “more mature” self doesn’t want to clean up the crime scene.

*Fannie raises her tea cup* Here’s to your getting back into Dave’s good graces. 😉

6. Pingback: In Case of Emergency, Click Here. | words become superfluous

7. Pingback: Book Four in the 13 in ’13 Reading Challenge: Ender’s Game | words become superfluous

8. Pingback: Look Up There! It’s a Bird! It’s a Plane! It’s All Kinds of Funny Names in “Man of Steel”! | The Blog of Funny Names

9. Pingback: The Middle Name Acting Aphorism; OR What Happens When Amb Tries to Talk About Sports (Again) | The Blog of Funny Names

10. Pingback: Troian Bellisario | The Blog of Funny Names