A Change of Pace: Funny Names Before and After Quiz

After a good day at a celebratory barbecue for a friend who not only got his MD but also won a statewide “outstanding graduate student” award, I went over to Arto’s last night to edit a fascinatingly bizarre “creative project” I’m doing where my lab group and I pretend to be news reporters from the neuromuscular junction. Yep, that’s how they’re training the future medical leaders of the world, folks!

Amb, I see your Michael Douglas and I raise you world middleweight champion Sergio Martinez.

Anyway, after a few hours of wrangling with cables and formatting issues, annoying freeware video editing software that puts gigantic watermarks all over your beautiful artistic creations, and video conversion software that hijacks your browser to direct all search results to Bing (or “Bings you!” as Arto so eloquently put it), we did what any frustrated twenty-something males would do…

… drank some Quilmes beer (from the Argentinean hometown of my favorite boxer, Sergio Martinez) and logged on to Sporcle for some brain-teasing puzzles. Some were enjoyable but easy (a U.S. Presidents quiz… I can do that in my sleep), some were frustrating (you try to identify U.S. states by a partial picture of their county maps!), or truly quite dull (it’s amazing how un-interesting the 100 most common English words are).

However, we stumbled on to a pretty amazing one about literature and movie before and afters that inspired today’s post and had me thinking hard all the way home about ways to segue the idea into a blog post.

So without further ado…

Funny Names Blog & Pop Music “Before and After” Quiz

Rules:

1.  A “Before and After” is a combination of two phrases in which the end of the first phrase is the beginning of the second. An example is “computer chip off the old block” which combines “computer chip” with “chip off the old block”; or “sunset the table” which combines “sunset” and “set the table.”
  2. For these ones, we will be combining a name profiled in a previous post on the Blog of Funny Names, and some reference to famous pop music from the 1960’s until the present day.
  3. Post your answers in the comment section to gain our everlasting respect and admiration. Don’t worry about checking what others have posted… in fact… don’t check what they’ve posted at all… we’d love to see you take a stab at all of them. Some of these are quite difficult.
  4. You can use the A-Z page for reference. No human being can keep a roster of 300+ posts in their mind at once, so use the tools available!
  5. ***Amb has to wait until 1pm Pacific time to give her answers.*** Just to keep it fun for everyone else 🙂 I have a feeling she’d crush all of us – perhaps even me, and I came up with the questions. Sorry, babe 🙂 It’s a sign of respect for your awesome funny names and pop culture knowledge.

Here they are:

1. The first name of my all-time favorite funny name (and our first ever post); and a Simon and Garfunkel ode to structural engineering.

2. A Terminator Salvation actress; and a Beach Boys song about excitations.

3. The first person ever to reach out to us after being featured in our blog; and a timeless classic by the Old Crow Medicine Show and Critter Fuqua, (with some help from Bob Dylan).

4. Fannie’s post about a famous songstress that inspired a BoFN figure of speech; and a Shania Twain classic about gender identity.

What's this? Just an adorable picture... or perhaps it's a clue?

What’s this? Just an adorable picture? … or perhaps it’s a clue?

5. Rob’s first post – about a baseball player (surprise!) whose name inspired a legendary 1970 song about funny-named baseball players; and a British band from the 70’s who sang about the summertime and whose name was inspired by a T.S. Eliot poem.

6. The youngest person I have ever devoted a full post to; and the 1960’s husband and wife duo who sang “I Got You Babe.”

7. A vivacious and quotable actress from the early-to-mid 1900’s whose dying words were “Codeine… bourbon…”; and an Alanis Morissette song about how she couldn’t help falling… it’s all your fault!

8. Arto’s post about an American railroad pioneer; and Sheryl Crow’s ode to good times.

9. My first obituary post, in tribute to a recently-deceased raconteur of all things boxing; and Fall Out Boy’s breakthrough hit, whose chorus hinged on a boxing-related refrain.

10. Another of Arto’s posts about obscure historical figures – this one about an American diplomat, politician and tobacco trader who was married to the also-well-named Louise Barbe Vanderclooster; and a U2 song about Bono’s inability to live in any circumstance.

=================

I hope you enjoy this fun little diversion, and please feel free to chime in with your answers in the comments section! I’d love to hear from you. Some of these were pretty tough, so I wish you luck!

About Dave

Based out of San Diego, California. Co-founder of the Blog of Funny Names. funnynamesblog.wordpress.com
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to A Change of Pace: Funny Names Before and After Quiz

1. amb says:

I love your brain, have I told you that lately? See you at 1pm Pacific Time, xo.

2. marksackler says:

1. Outerbridge Over Troubled Waters. 2-10. I haven’t the foggiest…

Well done with #1! I’ll give you a hint about #5… you considered posting about this player as well… and the band’s name has also been featured on the blog 🙂

• marksackler says:

Oh, I have it. I absolutely hate that song, by the way. Van Lingle Mungo Jerry.

Haha, a lot of hate for that song in the comments section today 🙂 Perhaps if I was alive and conscious during its heyday, I’d hate it as well. For me, it’s a pretty cool opportunity to observe some of the facial hair of yore 🙂

• marksackler says:

Utterly idiotic lyrics. A song with the line “have a drink, have a drive” could only have made the top 40 before the advent of MADD.

wow, my brain is busting ) cool challenge –

1. Outerbridge Under Troubled Water
    2. Moon Bloodgood Vibrations
    3. Crescent Dragonwagon Wheel? If so, brilliant.
    6. Ever Andersonny and Cher? Haha, your mind, Dave, your mind!

That’s all I can do without consulting the a-z. I’m drawing a blank on all my historical figures. Unless it’s Julius Kruttschitthefirstcutisthedeepest. Haha.

5. Oh the Ethel of it all, Dave. I now have Mungo Jerry stuck in my head again…I’m not sure if I should say thank you. 🙂

Well I’m certain I should say “You’re welcome!”

Are you a Shania Twain fan? There’s a belter-related one that has your name on it!

Haha, actually, now that I re-read your comment, I realize that you referred directly to the post, so you obviously knew half of it 🙂 Quick… get it before Amb does! It’s one of the many famous singles from Shania’s record-shattering (sales records, not vinyl records 🙂 ) album “Come on Over.”

• Yes, I am a Shania Twain fan. I would love to write about her.

• amb says:

You should! Shania is the bees knees. Plus, she used to be married to a guy named Mutt, who turned out to be, like, an actual dog – how often do you get opportunities to make funny-named insults like that? Go for it 🙂

Clever post for sure, Dave, and I love that you snuck Ms. Dragonwagon in. Going to let the other folks make the guesses as I need all the brain cells I can muster due to nasty migraine that seems to have camped out in my head. (Why am I even on the computer? I’m a tough boss and not granting sick days today–too many deadlines 😦 )

Sounds like an amazing weekend was had on your end! Congratulations on the award–that’s awesome, but not surprising 😉 Of course you’re the best grad student ever. Who else could possibly compete?

Haha, it’s not me. It’s my buddy who won the award. I’m just hoping to be a graduate student-to-be once I get a med school acceptance 🙂

Sorry about the migraine! Someday I’ll find out how to cure those. Until now, all I can do is offer sympathy! 🙂

• Liz says:

the award committee made a terrible mistake if they did not give the award to you. (you not yet being a grad student is inconsequential here) Hadn’t realized you were an undergrad–this changes everything! I AM old enough to be your mom 😉 Does amb know? This makes her a bit of a Cougar. lol. Appreciate the sympathy–thanks. And how awesome it would be to get the headache thing figured out.

Haha, I’m an old undergrad (27 this summer) 🙂 I worked as an entrepreneur and political organizer before going back to school 🙂

• Liz says:

happy early birthday then and phew–this means older sister still works. No wonder you’re so well-versed. You’ve done quite a bit for just shy of 27 years.

• amb says:

LOL! If I was drinking coffee right now it would have come out my nose. Well done, Liz!

And PS: of course I knew that. It’s all part of my plan. One of his favourite shows is Cougar Town, after all 😉

I don’t know any of the answers, but that is one mongo quiz! I just gotta step back and gasp in awe.

Thanks! Well, the good thing is you have the A-Z page for reference if you can figure out some of the songs I’m referring to 🙂 I told amb to hold off on answering so that people get a chance to figure more of them out 🙂

8. Pingback: Today in Superfluous News, OR; Why I’ll Never Be Diane Sawyer | words become superfluous

Are you guys finished yet? I was going to wait until everyone figured out the answers and then come back in and say, “Sorry, had to put this on hold for a sec. Now, let’s see . . . Oh! You did it already! Neat.”

Haha, Amb has them all but I told her to hold off 🙂 Give it a stab. the A-Z page will be very helpful 🙂

10. Pingback: Funny Names Before and After Quiz: A Letter to the Editor | The Blog of Funny Names

11. Pingback: Kind Butler, III and Arto’s Fine Finnish Friends | The Blog of Funny Names