Funny Names Before and After Quiz: A Letter to the Editor

Dear Dave,

Light of my life, apple of my eye, Harry Burns to my Sally Albright – please find enclosed my answers to Monday’s Funny Names Before and After Quiz.

I would like to assure the esteemed judging panel (that would be you, dollface) that no search engines were used during the completion of this quiz.

Yes, my music-geek brain really is that ridiculous; yes, I took the quiz while pretending to do work at the office; and yes, I totally just called you dollface.

Please send any and all prizing to my pocket-sized place in Toronto. (Liz knows where I live). Sending your brilliant self over for a visit would be most appreciated; however, being the bona fide 100% word-nerd that I am, original poetry would also do nicely. Write me a quatrain?

Love, amb

1. The first name of my all-time favorite funny name (and our first ever post); and a Simon and Garfunkel ode to structural engineering.

Outerbridge Over Troubled Water

2. A Terminator Salvation actress; and a Beach Boys song about excitations.

Korinna Moon Bloodgood Vibrations

3. The first person ever to reach out to us after being featured in our blog; and a timeless classic by the Old Crow Medicine Show and Critter Fuqua, (with some help from Bob Dylan).

Crescent Dragonwagon Wheel

4. Fannie’s post about a famous songstress that inspired a BoFN figure of speech; and a Shania Twain classic about gender identity.

Ethel Merman I Feel Like a Woman

5. Rob’s first post – about a baseball player (surprise!) whose name inspired a legendary 1970 song about funny-named baseball players; and a British band from the 70′s who sang about the summertime and whose name was inspired by a T.S. Eliot poem.

Van Lingle Mungo Jerry

6. The youngest person I have ever devoted a full post to; and the 1960′s husband and wife duo who sang “I Got You Babe.”

Ever Gabo Jovich-Andersonny and Cher

7. A vivacious and quotable actress from the early-to-mid 1900′s whose dying words were “Codeine… bourbon…”; and an Alanis Morissette song about how she couldn’t help falling… it’s all your fault!

Tallulah Bankhead Over Feet

8. Arto’s post about an American railroad pioneer; and Sheryl Crow’s ode to good times.

Whitmell P Tunstall I Wanna Do (Is Have Some Fun)

9. My first obituary post, in tribute to a recently-deceased raconteur of all things boxing; and Fall Out Boy’s breakthrough hit, whose chorus hinged on a boxing-related refrain.

Bert Randolph Sugar We’re Goin’ Down

10. Another of Arto’s posts about obscure historical figures – this one about an American diplomat, politician and tobacco trader who was married to the also-well-named Louise Barbe Vanderclooster; and a U2 song about Bono’s inability to live in any circumstance.

Fulwar Skipwith or Without You

love amb

About amb

Would rather spend time in TV land than Corporate World. Writes at wordsbecomesuperfluous.com and wishes she was more like Ingrid Bergman.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Funny Names Before and After Quiz: A Letter to the Editor

1. Pingback: A Word Nerd Reviews The Great Gatsby | words become superfluous

Well darling, the first thing I promised was that I’d tell you the awesome thing Arto said about you on the night I designed that quiz. With only 1 beer in his slight Finnish frame, he said “Amb… well she’s all pancakes and kittens isn’t she?!?”

The man’s mastery of Southern U.S. figures of speech defies his Finnish upbringing… and I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck, so I know what I’m talking about!

I’ll have to up my game this time. Stay tuned 🙂

• Liz says:

Dave, I haven’t laughed this hard (am busting a gut here) since your comment about “pulling a Liz.” You crack me up. That is too funny about the pancakes and kittens. (I know Arto said it, but you relayed the story well.)

Where you found the time to put that quiz together I don’t know, but sounds like there will be more to look forward to. Always enjoy watching you and amb playing your games 🙂

• amb says:

I know, right?! I was telling Fannie earlier, it’s a good thing no one else is around when I first get to the office. Between her hilarious post and this one, I was a bit of a hot mess this morning. Had to bust out my emergency mascara stash after laughing so hard I was crying!

• amb says:

Oh, my. Awesome indeed! Arto, you know you’ve got Liz calling me “kitten” over at Food for Fun now, right?

Dave, you leave me breathless. With anticipation. xo.

Yay, Amb–you win you win you win!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait to see what you’ve won, but looks like Arto’s line is a great start. I bow before your great knowledge of all things BoFN and pop music.

Were those really her dying words?

5. Congratulations Amb on the quiz and getting a really great line out of Arto!

• amb says:

Isn’t it though? And wouldn’t “Pancakes and kittens” make a fantastic band name?!? Hey, Fannie, wanna start a band with me?!?!?

• Wouldn’t that be fun? Have you ever seen the play, Angry Housewives? Pancakes and Kittens could be the fun opposite…without all the eating of cornflakes. 🙂

• amb says:

I haven’t, and I’m intrigued … off to google and will report back 🙂

• amb says:

Honestly, sometimes the people on this blog just make my whole entire life.

There’s a musical called Angry Housewives?! About a group of housewives who form a punk rock band?!? And then they play songs like “Eat Your F&*%#ing Cornflakes?!?!”

I’m so happy right now I can’t even type.

I can’t even.

😀

A very impressive show, from both wings of Team Ambrave.

Well played Amb! The quote, as far as I recall, is accurate. I don’t recall very far, but it certainly sounds right! 🙂

• amb says:

Thank you Arto! Fannie and I will give you a shout out in the liner notes for the Pancakes and Kittens first album, for sure 🙂

8. Pingback: WoW Fridays: Rudy Francisco | words become superfluous