A Kerfuffle in Alabama in Funny Names in the News – 40th Edition!

Hello there, funny names in the news spotters! Welcome to our weekly recap of the names that crack us up that appeared in the newspapers, blogs, and other newfangled newspaper replacements this week.

If there was ever a time to purchase a record based only on its name, this is it.

One of those newfangled gadgets I was acquiring my news from today is something called the radio. The kids tell me it’s the latest thing so I plugged it on as I was driving home from a jam session last night, and sure enough, I was delighted to find a program that appealed to me right away. It was called Free Time with Miff Mole. That’s right, a progressive jazz show hosted by Miff Mole. You can’t go wrong with that.

Speaking of music, here’s another article from our Pussy Riot enthusiast Dave, which says something or other about Pussy Riot. I think Dave is just happy to bring some wild rock’n’roll to these blog pages and that’s why he keeps sending these in. Good enough for me.

Speaking of rock’n’roll, that’s the last name of actress Kate Winslet’s husband Ned Rocknroll! Cool name, man! Much cooler than his original name of Ned Smith. Our official Showbiz Rocket Science Correspondent Amb has also informed me that Mrs. Winslet received space tickets for her birthday – as in, tickets to go to space (as in outside of the earth, because if you think about it, we’re in space right now, man! Whoa, trippy.) But this week she’s in the news because she’s pregnant!  Whoohoo, babies! Here’s hoping the kid is named something appropriately rocknroll, like Gather Moss Rocknroll, or Leonardo DiWinslet Rocknroll, or George Johnson. I don’t know man, look in the comments of the article in that link and you’ll find all the good lame jokes about the name there.

Our Mustache of the Week  Award goes to McIntosh mayor Wilbert Dixon!

Our Mustache of the Week Award goes to McIntosh mayor Wilbert Dixon!

Speaking of rocknroll, again, internet exercise sensation Joanna Rohrback, also known as the Prancercise Lady, is giving interviews all over the place about what she originally called Funky Punky’s Prancercise Program. She’s pretty cool, and her name is fun, and the name of her program is even more fun. We’re big fans here.

Speaking of…oh, forget it, we don’t need all these segues, do we? Certainly not when going to some sad news, and news of former NBA great and all-time funny name all-star Mookie Blaylock being involved in a fatal car accident last week definitely qualifies as pretty sad. Word is Mookie himself is ok but is facing charges for vehicular manslaughter for his role in the accident. It’s a sad situation for all involved.

And finally, speaking of legal stuff, there were some fisticuffs this week at a town council meeting in McIntosh, Alabama, presumably about whether the town should adopt Microsoft or Apple computers. The kerfuffle apparently erupted between the local fire chief and the wonderfully named mayor Wilbert Dixon, with a third man hospitalized in the process. Things sure can get exciting down there in ‘bama! Whoo golly.

Well, that’s all we have for you this week folks. Have a lovely weekend and try these cookies, they’re delicious!

About Arto

Co-founder of the Funny Names Blog, Hawaiian shirt enthusiast, and holder of a funny name himself with too many vowels for any sensible person. Currently residing in San Diego, California, scouring through obscure documents on a hunt for more funny names. www.funnynamesblog.wordpress.com

16 Responses to A Kerfuffle in Alabama in Funny Names in the News – 40th Edition!

i am very taken by, and jealous of, miff mole’s name

2. amb says:

Arto, cupcake, the space tickets were a wedding present. Come on, man. Who would go to outer space for their birthday?!? Outside of the earth on your wedding night is way more rock and roll 😉

• Arto says:

Agh, that’ll teach me to skim through a celebrity baby announcement. This is a good point, although I detect odd undertones in this present. “Hello dear, welcome to the family – want to go to Jupiter?”. Like buying someone deodorant for christmas.

Thanks for the cookie shout-out 🙂 Whoa, trippy. Whoo golly. Always a good ride on Fridays. Driving home from a jam session, you say? Were you rockin’ out with New Kids on the Block?

Maybe we should contact Ms. Rohrback and bring her over to BoFN for a special class? Or maybe not–just read how busy she is. Enjoyed that interview very much. angels, dropping weights on your head and going into a coma, Floridian humidity driving Prancercise into a home-based exercise. What a hoot.

One final laugh for me: my 10-year-old daughter caught the headline of your post (good thing it wasn’t last week’s FNitN) and said, “kerfluffle! I love how adults make up new words.” Goodness–kids today don’t know the English language. Kerfluffle is definitely on my top-5 list of very real words.

Have a great weekend, Arto. Thanks for the (funny-name) smiles. (oh, and did I read correctly and amb just called you cupcake?)

• amb says:

Maybe I should have stuck with this week’s theme of “endearments based on breakfast foods” and called him waffle instead?

• Liz says:

muffin! (sorry, Arto. sorry, Leslie.)

• amb says:

Bahahahahahahaha. I heart you, Liz. (and Arto and Leslie too, of course).

• Arto says:

I just made muffins last night as it happens. Hah, we’ve come full circle. I put the cookie shoutout in there as I was looking for a nice signoff and nothing seemed as good as “eat some cookies, folks”. Cookies make people feel good, therefore they must be healthy. Logic.

• Arto says:

Haha, you could call us the New Kidz on the Block, though I’m not sure we really compare with their success as this stage, although there is a curious dog that often comes to check us out as we’re rocking in the garage.

Oh, kids and their innocence. One day, she will know the true meaning of kerfuffle, not to mention brouhaha, and it will be a great day.

• Liz says:

your first groupie is a dog? What kind of band? Am duly impressed. And I bet you make a mean muffin.

If I were to give them a genre, I’d call them science nerd synth-core 🙂 Not because it’s an accurate description (they have a keyboardist rather than a synthesizer, and Arto isn’t a science nerd), but because it’s a fun-sounding genre. They have Arto and two bio graduates who until recently were working in research labs. Their song “Crystal Fear” is pretty good though.

4. I wonder if Miff Mole has a significant mother.

5. Pingback: Funny Names in the News 67, with a Splendid Announcement from Russia | The Blog of Funny Names