Rebel Wilson

Oh, hi! You’re here. You’ve probably, uhh, come for the funny names. Ok. That’s no problem. Funny names. I can do that. Sure.

I just, um, I have to tell you guys something first.

This is a little awkward.

In almost a year of hanging out here with the BoFN boys (a year! holy bananas), five months of which have been spent actually blogging and not just, you know, hitting on talking to Dave in the comments section, this is the very first Blog of Funny Names post that I’ve had trouble writing.

Not because I’ve run out of things to say, mind you; I cannot even begin to imagine the forces that would need to conspire together in order for that to happen; but because this is the first post where I’ve been sorely tempted to simply post a series of youtube videos up here and call it a day. For example:

Jokes about chocolate and ice cream and funny named 1980s novelty bands – what else do you need? Clearly, my work here is done.

Not quite. All joking aside, fellow funny name enthusiasts, it is my pleasure to introduce you to the lovely and charming Ms. Rebel Wilson.

Rebel was born and raised in Sydney, Australia, but not to worry: her parents more than made up for their hometown’s lack of funny-name-ed-ness by raising the most amazingly named group of siblings on probably the entire continent.

Law and Order logo

Mama and Papa Wilson. I hope.

As you may have heard in the video clip above, Rebel has two sisters named Liberty and Annarchi, as well as a brother named Ryot. Strangely enough, my showbiz sources won’t tell me the names of their parents. I really, really hope that they’re Law and Order, and since Wikipedia doesn’t say otherwise, I’m just going to report that as fact.

One story that I really can report as fact – even though it sounds like something that Law and Order and I made up while watching reruns of formulaic but strangely comforting crime procedurals – is the reason that Rebel got into show business. As part of her duties as a Rotary International Youth Ambassador, Rebel spent a year in South Africa. While she was there, she unfortunately, or fortunately, for us a capella music fans,  contracted malaria. While she was ill, she had hallucinations in which she saw herself winning the Oscar for Best Actress. Once she had recovered, she decided to give up her previously chosen career of mathematics, and pursue acting full time.

Hooray for malaria! Convincing people to leave the fickle world of numbers and join the stable profession of Hollywood since 2002!

That last line was only slightly sarcastic: having malaria might have been the best thing that happened to Rebel since, well, having the awesome name Rebel. She won a drama scholarship to New York, trained with the renowned Second City improv comedy troupe, and hasn’t looked back since. Her breakout film roles include Brynn, Kristen Wigg’s hilarious roomate in “Bridesmaids”

Rebel Wilson

Rebel, showing that malaria who’s boss.

and Fat Amy in “Pitch Perfect”, for which she won the MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance and shared the Best Musical Moment award with her co-stars.

Not content to just make people laugh at the movies, Rebel’s latest project is writing and starring in “Super Fun Night”, a sitcom which follows three friends on a quest to have fun every Friday night, and which will be coming to a television near you this fall. I can’t wait to see what she does next!

love amb

About amb

Would rather spend time in TV land than Corporate World. Writes at wordsbecomesuperfluous.com and wishes she was more like Ingrid Bergman.
This entry was posted in funny names in movies, funny names in tv and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Rebel Wilson

great blog, i loved her work since the first time i saw her, she is a natural, and your piece fills in all the blanks for me. thanks.

• amb says:

Thanks Beth! I agree, she’s totally a natural – I’ve never seen an appearance of hers that felt fake or forced.

Happy to fill in the blanks for you with my, ahem stellar and super thorough journalism skills. Have I mentioned that I love Wikipedia? 😉 Hope you have a fantastic day!

• amb says:

Isn’t she, though? I feel like she’d be that one friend who says out loud what everyone else is thinking. Thanks for stopping by 😀

2. Be says:

wow… can you believe what some people name their kids!
    makes the name “Apple” for a little girl seem so mundane!

• amb says:

LOL! I know, right?! There’s something I bet you never thought you’d say … who knew that one day we’d consider Apple to be a boring name … 🙂

3. Pingback: Much Ado About … Friendship | words become superfluous

Good stuff, amb! Good to have background before I sit in on Pitch Perfect. Mentioned Arrested Development in my WBS comment and your Rebel made me think of Ron Howard’s (fictional I know after a bit of my own “research”) daughter on the show, also named Rebel. Came across this in said research–maybe you’re already in on it, but wanted to share: http://www.omg-facts.com/Celebs/Ron-Howard-Named-His-Kids-After-The-Plac/57340

Who Knew?

• amb says:

Liz!!! You are just making my day all over the place here! I haven’t come across that article before and, well … Reed Cross Howard was named after a street in London “because Volvo isn’t a very good name” = coffee. nose. computer desk clean up. I’m just saying.

That was fantastic. I am so watching Arrested Development now.

• Liz says:

assuming the source is credible…crazy stuff. Hope your computer is still working and didn’t fry from the hot liquid. Glad to be chatting for sure 🙂

Yes, let me know if you do some AD as I’d be curious on your take. Some of it is better than others, but in the end it just seems more intelligent than most. Though the actual storylines and characters are goofball. Something along the lines of being so ugly that it’s beautiful. ??

• amb says:

Oooh, I like the sound of that. Will keep you posted, for sure. I have a quiet weekend planned, so perhaps I can get started then? Looking forward to it – like you, I will also follow Jason Bateman anywhere. Something about his voice is just … appealing.

Good stuff Amb, she’s indeed a funny lady. Good story too, not sure if i’ve heard “I’d like to thank malaria” in an award speech before. Then again, it’s Hollywood, I’m sure I’ve heard something like “I’d like to thank Malaria McConaghey” for the costume design at least once. Well written piece!

Also, I wonder if you’d be interested in the child naming habits of director Robert Rodriguez, whose kids are called Rocket, Racer, Rebel and Rogue. And Rhiannon, apparently, because you gotta have one Fleetwood Mac kid in there. Pretty cool names.

• amb says:

Arto, you know I’m interested in anything you have to say! Throw in some examples of Hollywood folk acting, well, Hollywood, and I am one happy girl 🙂

• amb says:

Right?! I haven’t heard her thank malaria yet, but knowing Rebel, it’s bound to happen eventually.

Glad you’re not sick of the sound of my voice yet, since I’m back covering for Rob tomorrow! Am going to attempt a baseball themed post. Stay tuned …

7. Great post. Can’t wait to see if she takes your advice and thanks the malaria.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s baseball theme.

8. Bonnie says:

Hi Amb…what Liz said…good to have some well-researched info BEFORE I finally sit down to watch Pitch Perfect. Right now, I can’t see the forest for the Downton Abbey however..so until I make my way, and tears, [yes, it’s true…] through season 3, all of my viewing time is wholly dedicated to DA. But, it’s on the list! Nicely done my dear, as always. To say you are on a roll seems an understatement! xo

• amb says:

*sniffle* Just wait. You think you’re crying NOW … *sniffle* We’ll chat when you’re done season 3. Goodness, sometimes I love DA creator Julian Fellows, and sometimes I think he’s an evil genius in league with the kleenex sales team.

In other news, I heart you, have I told you that lately? ❤

• Bonnie says:

OMG…I can only just imagine. Last ep. of Season 2 had me in fits. I have such a push-pull – can’t wait to watch the next one, each time, but then know it’s going to be a long time {January, right?} before we get them all back. 8 episodes to go in S.3. Julian Fellows is just plain freaking brilliant, and yes, totally in cahoots with the Kleenex company. See, brilliant. And news flash here too…I heart you too. xo

“. . . this is the first post where I’ve been sorely tempted to simply post a series of youtube videos up here and call it a day.”

You say that like it’s a bad thing!