Funny Names in the News: A Very Special Birthday Edition!

Bourbon balls, anyone?

Bourbon balls, anyone?

amb: Hi everyone! You made it!! I’m so glad you came – I was worried that your invitations might have gotten lost in the mail. Now that you’re here, the celebrations can start! *amb starts dancing to Kool and the Gang*

liz: I did indeed get an invitation, amb. Party time, yay! And I brought snacks 🙂 Though I’ll take this opportunity to point out that unlike some other BoFN guest posters I know *clears throat, looks pointedly at amb*,  I only come over to Blog of Funny Names by invitation*shakes head and smiles* Aww, never mind how we get here, amb. It’s always fun and I love that we’re co-hosting this party. Care to explain to these beautiful party guests why you’re dancing to such a celebratory song?

amb: I happen to know that it’s a certain someone’s birthday this weekend. Yes, that certain someone. Come on. You guys didn’t think I’d let the Jeff Winger of my blogsphere turn another year older without throwing a party, did you?

liz: Then consider the party on! Amb and I are thrilled to welcome you to Funny Names in the News: Birthday Party-Style.

***

Nothing says "birthday party" like cauliflower curry!

Nothing says “birthday party” like cauliflower curry!

Before amb can make any comments about being Dave’s present, I’m going to jump right in and start talking about the menu. I hope you like Indian fare, Dave, because our first food item is in honor of actor Dev Patel. Dev, star of the Oscar winning “Slumdog Millionaire”,  is rumored to be in talks to be in Neil Blomkamp’s next film. Here’s a cauliflower curry Dave might enjoy – it’s even vegetarian!

What do you think amb? Good food/movie combo?

amb: Delicious, much like Dav- I mean, much like Neil Blomkamp’s other movies. I loved “District 9”. That’s what I was about to say, really. Ok. Moving on to other super-awesome-science-fiction-movies-involving-super-awesome aliens news, I’m super excited to announce that Guillermo del Toro’s new movie opens today! It’s called “Pacific Rim” and it looks, yes, you guessed it, super awesome. I don’t suppose you have any Asian-inspired menu items we can serve with this one?

Cute little lettuce wraps.

Cute little lettuce wraps.

liz: I did bring a plate of these cute little Asian lettuce wraps, but can we talk about birthday cake instead? I need to start unpacking my boxes, here. *becomes notably more enthused as she lifts the lid off of one cake box after another.*

There’s this one.  banana-cake

And this one!

cake

And everyone likes cupcakeswow-cupcakes

Or these!argo cupcake

And this one might be better suited for your birthday, amb, but do you think Dave would like it maybe a little bit?my-little-pony-cake

amb: Ooh! Unicorns! You know me so well. But (and I can’t believe I’m saying this) we need to focus here, Liz. Liz?  *doesn’t hear as she’s continuing to unpack cake boxes* Liz! Over here…

liz: *turning around to face amb* um, yeah?

amb: Listen, you know I love your cakes, I really do. Especially that last one – I’m putting my order in for my own birthday party now. But we’re here for Dave, remember? Technically this is his party, even if we’re the ones having all the fun. So can we wrap it up here?

liz: Oh, right. Sure. Can do. But the ice cream–gotta have it for a proper birthday party. Seeing as how it’s full-sbyon berry season, how about this lovely strawberry version? I won’t tell you what it’s called, but you can find out and get the recipe over at food for fun. 😉 *sees that amb is getting a wee bit impatient*

Alrighty then, moving on folks. Had your fill? Will set the food out and invite you to have at it as we continue unwrapping funny names for Dave. If you need to recover from all of that sugar and butter and cream, we have the perfect exercise routine for you. Prancercise is back! Our favorite funnily-named workout guru Johanna Rohrback is working with one of your favorite musicians, amb.

amb: Music! Oh Liz, I’m glad you brought that up (even though my eyes might never recover). We can’t have a proper party without music! Luckily, Dave recently introduced me to youtube sensation Aaralyn O’Neil. (Don’t you just love how we’re making him DJ his own party?)

liz: Give the guy a break. It’s his birthday, after all. Why don’t we move on to more gifts? Here’s something from me: the wonderful (and wonderfully named) Chris Kluwe, former Minnesota Viking, has been in the news thanks to his support of equal rights. You can see his position, not to mention athletic ability, here.

And he must be a follower of Words Become Superfluous, amb, as his book is called Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies. Sounds like a book after your own heart!

amb: I love that book title! And what a great guy!! He’s very cute. And he has a very nice smile, and … what am I doing here again? I’m kidding, of course. You know you’re my favourite, Dave. To prove it, I’ve combined our two loves of television and politics into a FNITN item just for you! Right wing talk show host Elizabeth Hasselbeck is leaving “The View” for her own show at Fox News. And leaving plenty of drama in her wake!

c-candy3liz: Sounds wild and crazy, amb. And nothing says wild and crazy party food like cotton candy.Will hand c-candy3these out while you wind things down for us. Hope Dave enjoyed all of his gifts. And hope you readers enjoyed the party, too. A toast – thanks for helping us celebrate Dave’s birthday 🙂

amb: One more thing. Your card is in the mail Dave, but I have a little something else for you. I know, it’s not quite an internet takeover, but I promise there’s at least 17 memes worth of love in here. xo.

Nonito Donaire_for dave
louis ck_for dave
rocky_for dave

love amb

About amb

Would rather spend time in TV land than Corporate World. Writes at wordsbecomesuperfluous.com and wishes she was more like Ingrid Bergman.
This entry was posted in funny names in food, funny names in movies, Funny Names In The News and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Funny Names in the News: A Very Special Birthday Edition!

1. Pingback: WoW Fridays: Bill Cosby | words become superfluous

Aww, you two are sweethearts! What a wonderful pre-bedtime treat, and looking forward to rereading it in the morning! You had me grinning and chuckling all the way through, and then I laughed way too loud at the end. I hope I didn’t wake my neighbor.

Indian food, bourbon balls, lettuce wraps and pony cakes… it’s so perfect!

Catch you on the flip side of 9am, and thanks again!

• amb says:

Liz is the sweetheart, for putting up with me:

Liz! Hey Liz! Want to come play with me at FNITN this Friday? It’s not like you’re busy with your husband and two kids and running your own business and taking trips and having your own life, right? Right??

Did I say two kids? I’m sure it feels more like three 🙂

Re: the end – when you re-read, make sure you click on CK. xo.

• Liz says:

amb, joining you in your antics (’cause let’s be honest here, at the end of the day–which is where we always seemed to find ourselves–they’re antics) is a way to blow off steam and laugh and shake the stress that comes from everything you mentioned. I see you as a partner in crime and a friend. Am always honored to be a part of whatever you have brewing.

And again, Happy birthday to Rock Star Dave 🙂

I did… pretty awesome clip. It never hurts to rewatch that one. Poor guy! 🙂

• amb says:

I was in the Louis CK recursive loop for a while after putting that together. My goodness that man makes me laugh. One of my favourites doing stand up today!

• Liz says:

Monica wouldn’t pass on a chance to throw a party for Ross, would she? And I got to plug food for fun ten times 😉 Thinking we gave folks more food than we did funny names. Ah well, it’s a party!

All the jokes aside, you’ve been a fun person to get to know and you deserve an amazing birthday. Hope this helps kick one off. Those memes are pretty cool–amb did good!

Though we have to hide it until after you go to bed next time as you shouldn’t be getting a sneak peek 😉

• amb says:

I know – I need to work on my subterfuge. I almost sent him a message, too, being like DON’T LOOK – but I assumed he would just take that as a challenge and, you know, look 😉

Super spiffing teamwork, amb and Liz!

Happy birthday, Dave!

Awesome alliteration there, Diddy! And thanks – Liz and I make a good team 🙂

• Liz says:

thank ya’ diddy. Just imagine if YOU were part of that team? Amb laying the groundwork and you and I providing the good looks (that part is me 😉 ) and wit (you). We have our invitation waiting for us at WBS.

Interestingly enough, I saw mention of another ghost poster over in the WBS chat room. Is amb trying to line up a few days off? She IS going wireless this weekend. Do you think the poor girl is over-blogging? 😉

• amb says:

LOL! I love poetry, but can’t write it for beans. Neil can though, and his makes me all goose-bump-y, so I’m trying to work my magic and get him to come over 😉

And nice plug for your and Diddy’s joint post, Liz! Well played!!

• wdydfae says:

Is there a WBS chatroom? How far behind the curve am I here?

I’m ready for our grand collaborative banter project, Liz! Or will be after Sunday, anyway.

Yeah, amb probably is over-blogging, and even more than that, probably wearing herself out by being nice and affirming to everyone in comments 24/7. A ghost blogging collective arrangement with other ladies might be just the thing for her.

Hey, I have an idea! Let’s talk about amb in the 3rd person as if she weren’t here and make all kinds of judgments and decisions about her life!

YAY!!!

Go for it. I’ll collect all the material to be posted at a future date. Oooh – can you make it a musical?!?

• amb says:

PS: Diddy, my life is a WBS chatroom. Dave’s not the only one taking over the internet, you know 😉

• Liz says:

there’s that wit I’m talking about 😉 I only know her through virtual chats, but have to believe that she just is that nice and fun and supportive, etc. And she can’t not be those things anymore than I can’t not bring food into every conversation and you can’t not keep speeding up your posting schedule so I find it impossible to keep up.

Will have amb’s people contact my people to contact your people about that guest post 😉 Glad you’re on board!

oh, wbs chatroom is almost what it seems like in the comments section–she should look into adding on and making it offical, don’t you think? Amb’s good like that with technology and all, so bet she could do it.

(how’d I do with the third person thing?)

I’m not sure, but I’m afraid that she’ll spontaneously combust if she stops blogging, so let’s make sure to keep her in the loop.

4. Deborah says:

that was hilarious! what a great way to kickstart a friday morning.

and, happy birthday, dave! i’ve never met you but i feel like i already know you (you can thank amber for that)!

• amb says:

I always get so happy when I see you here, have I told you that lately? 🙂

Dave – Deb is awesome. Yet another benefit of having me around is getting to know her! You’re welcome.

• Deborah says:

i try to come out this way when i have a moment (which is rare since i like to sleep instead of stay up… though some nights that’s debatable) to check out the strangely named. but since i enjoy your witty writing style, i do make a much bigger effort to read what you’ve put together 😉

dave will think i’m awesome too. he just doesn’t know it yet.

I know she’s awesome. I’ve seen her comments on your blog before. You connect with a lot of cool folks, Amb!

5. Now that’s fantastic. You two crack me up. I still don’t know which I love more the post or the comments!

Happy birthday Dave!

• amb says:

No, you’re fantastic. So glad we could make you laugh this morning!

• Liz says:

yay, Fannie is here! Did you bring the apple fritters?

• Apple fritters!!! Now if the world were in black and white, would they still taste the same? I can smell the cinnamon and apple from here.

Liz, you have a little frosting on your chin…enjoy my friend.

• Liz says:

why is the world black and white? Did I miss something? Good call on the frosting. I almost wrote that in there actually 😉 Hope you enjoyed a slice or two of the cakes.

• Oops, I forgot to mentioned we just watched “Pleasantville”. That would be a key ingredient to explaining the “black and white.” My bad.

• amb says:

I LOVE that movie!!! Such a great concept. And it looks gorgeous. And it pays homage to “To Kill a Mockingbird”! AND it has cute outfits!! I mean seriously, what more could a girl want? 🙂

• I never realized the “To Kill a Mockingbird” connection. Wow, that makes so much sense.

And the outfits are adorable!

• amb says:

Right?! With the courtroom scene?! Mind you, it doesn’t make me all choked up and teary eyed like Mockingbird does (when we finally do get together for our own version of dish night, I have to warn you: I cry at store openings 🙂 ) but it’s still pretty awesome!

• I wonder who’s supposed to be the Boo Radley equivalent. I loved Robert Duvall in Mockingbird, he was such a surprise.

I’ll have to pay more attention to the courtroom drama in Pleasantville…

And dish night for sure!

6. THE PONY CAKE!!! Oh, I’m so happy right now.

7. Bonnie says:

OMG…I LOVE banter, especially WITTY banter and I can barely keep up here! Hilarious and like comment up there somewhere…not sure which is better, post or post-post comments.

Best virtual birthday party with folks I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting in person – EVER!

Oh, can we add a pony keg to the party with a pony cake? Yes? Awesome! 🙂

Happy Birthday Dave, And Amb and Liz, perhaps there is a new niche-market as yet, until today, undiscovered: Virtural Birthday Party Planners. Whaddya think?

Cheers!

• Bonnie says:

*virtual. I have not tapped the keg, yet. Promise!

• Liz says:

For Dave’s party, yes let’s tap the pony keg, though I didn’t have one when we celebrated my 7-year-old’s birthdiay. (I’d recently been advised to NOT infuse children with alcohol. haha)

Thanks for your kind words, Bonnie. The party chatter via comments made it a most excellent shin-dig. Gatherings are only as good as the guests, right?

I love throwing parties (have written a post or two or three or more about this fact) and maybe it is time to branch out into virtuals? You’d need to join our team, though. I remember you saying something once about clean-up duty. Are you interested? The after-parties for the parties are worth sticking around for!

• Bonnie says:

I would join the Liz and Amb team in a heartbeat…and was thinking that my nickname fits in perfectly … See like this: Amb, Liz and Bon. Right? See how that three letter thing just totally works?! But, not sure I want to be permanently relegated to clean up crew, I’m just sayin’….maybe we can find another job? 🙂

• amb says:

Bon!!! I think you’re BRILLIANT, is what I think! I’m totally going to put that on a business card!

And a big *yes times a million* to the pony keg. Good call! You think there’s witty banter happening now, just wait until I’ve had a drink! (yes, just one. I’m pocket-sized; doesn’t take much!) 😉

And PS I love YOU, so there you go. xoox

• Liz says:

here’s the thing: we planned the party while punch-drunk tired, so actual spirits could make it that much funnier OR it could go the other way 😉

I think it sounds fantastic! Normally it would sound silly, but those two ladies can pull it off.

Woohoo! My friend Courtney is bringing a bourbon cake to basketball tonight to celebrate! This is exciting!

woo hoo woo hoo woo hoo indeed 🙂 Pretty pretty pretty please take a picture of boozy cake and send it directly to moi or post it on deLiz facebook? You are one lucky guy 🙂

10. Pingback: Jasper White and friends: Who do we thank for multitudes of marshmallows? | The Blog of Funny Names