Funny Names in the News vol. 46 featuring the Robin Hood of Potholes

Good Morning Funny Names fans! Or should I say afternoon? Let’s face it, I’m late, but look on the bright side – I’m here to bring you all the funny named goodness from the week gone by. Whee! Whee, right? Yeah, whee! Also, it’s friday, so pour yourself a Mojito (or your favorite Friday morning pre-work beverage) and settle in because we’ve got some good stuff for you this time.

Our Smart Things correspondent Dave has been reading Gawker lately, mostly because of their well-known reputation for reporting on Smart Things. He brings us this delightful story of a vigilante “rogue road worker”, also known as “The Pothole Patchman”, and “The Robin Hood of Potholes”, who has been fixing up the delapitated roads of Jackson, Mississippi like some sort of superhero with an engineering degree. So far he has fixed more than 100 potholes, but the mayor Chokwe Mulumba is upset because the Man with Many Monikers is using the city’s asphalt to do his good work. By the way, this article was written by Neetzan Zimmerman, who hereby has lifetime membership in our honorary club for funny named journalists. Welcome Neetzan!

On to sports, where a man named Hank Lundy was too strong for another man named Olusegun Ajose in underwear-only-man-to-man combat on ESPN. Names really light up that channel for the non-sports-enthusiasts, am I right ladies?

Moving on to the flashy world of movies, where our Entertaining Correspondent Amb tells me about a new picture starring Aubrey Plaza, Alia Shawkat, andย Christopher Mintz-Plasse. It’s called The To-Do-List, and it also features Community’s Donald “Don” Glover, allowing us to fill our Community reference quota for the week. Hoorah!

Our Aubrey Plaza Appreciation Society Presidency Correspondent Dave also wanted me to share this fine clip of Ms. Plaza, and noted that she “has pretty good wall punching talents – I can tell she twists her core and would get a lot of torque into those punches if she wasn’t concerned about breaking her hand.” Oh Dave.

In “Oh no!” news this week, I’m told that Janeane Garofalo has been unfairly marginalized. This sounds unfair. Stop unfairly marginalizing Janeane, marginalizers!

Moving on to Canada, where the citizens have emerged from their Igloos long enough to enter a writing competition. It was, rightly, won by a person named Mohan Srivastava with a story called “The Gods of Scrabble”. Unconfirmed reports suggest a film version is in the works, and will be molded into a sequel to the 2003 film Dodgeball : A True Underdog Story with a focus instead on Scrabble. It’s about a plucky Canadian team’s victory by way of

A frightening animal.

A frightening animal.

sneaking in extra U’s wherever possible.

That’ll wrap up our coverage for this week – there was more news, but I’m late as it is and you should all just be happy I got here. I leave you with the news that the professional soccer team found in Tijuana, Mexico goes by the name of Club Tijuana Xoloitzcuintles de Caliente. Yes, Xoloitzcuitles. It’s a hairless dog. Sounds like a fierce team.

Have a fine weekend, all!

About Arto

Co-founder of the Funny Names Blog, Hawaiian shirt enthusiast, and holder of a funny name himself with too many vowels for any sensible person. Currently residing in San Diego, California, scouring through obscure documents on a hunt for more funny names. www.funnynamesblog.wordpress.com

17 Responses to Funny Names in the News vol. 46 featuring the Robin Hood of Potholes

Woohoo! Whee! Love the post anyway. Some good stuff!

Who wrote that?! Tip top funniness!

I recognized the gal in the nightclub skit from a great College Humor sketch:

Arto wrote that one. In my opinion, he has a fantastically dry wit and probably is the best one-liner comedian on the team. Amb and I try to make up for it with EXTREME ENTHUSIASM! ๐Ÿ™‚

I don’t know if the lady in the collegehumor skit is the same as Aubrey Plaza (the one in the nightclup skit), but they definitely look similar. Aubrey is one of my favorite actresses – she’s super dry and deadpan, but wacky and hilarious at the same time. She is one of the main characters on Parks & Recreation (a very good comedy, though not one of my all time favorites), and she’s in a new movie called “The To-Do List” that should be very funny because Aubrey is starring in it.

I have to do a double take on some of these names. I feel like certain letters were put next to letters they should never be near. I also will continue to justifiably marginalize Janeane.

I know. It’s remarkable to see some of the weird spellings that are out there.

As long as you’re justifiably marginalizing Janeane, that’s okay. We’re just concerned about the unjust marginalization.

P.S. Janeane Garofalo is one of my favorite all-time names to say. That name alone contains about half of the funniest sounds in the English language. Not too shabby!

• kerbey says:

It is fun to say. I want to rhyme it with buffalo. Vowels are fun, which makes Italian names cool: Carmine Ragusa, Vinnie Barbarelli, Valerie Bertinelli!

4. Gotta love that soccer team.

Waittt….. Club Tijuana Xoloitzcuintles de Caliente… doesn’t that mean “Club Tijuana Hairless Dogs of Hotness” or at least “…of Heat”?????? What an amazing translation!

I hesitate to mention this, but I also think I would be remiss not to inform BoFN of the Carlos Danger name generator at Slate:

The name generated for me (in case anyone is interested) was Sylvestre Bad*ss.

Haha, awesome. I got “Antonio Hazard” and “Dario Smash” when I used “Dave” and “David”, respectively, on the generator. Expect to see this in next week’s FNITN!

great names, Arto. Lots of funny names in Hollywood. Alia Shawkat,is fave from Arrested Development. Glad to see she’s still getting play. Also glad you are out there hunting this bizarre news down for us so we don’t have to. Crazy stuff!

8. Pingback: Welcome to Pawnee, Indiana | The Blog of Funny Names