Welcome to Pawnee, Indiana

I hope you all brought your number two pencils today, always-prepared readers of mine, because we’re starting off this lovely Wednesday with a little pop quiz. Ready?

This post is based on a fictional funny named town because:

a) (the older) Carlson issued an Amber Alert in his latest post and amb would like to continue the cycle of mutual mentionitis;

b) (the younger) Carlson is scandalized by the amount of flirting that happens on Wednesdays and amb would like to continue working here;

c) Amb watches too much TV;

d) All of the above

Have you got the answer? I’ll give you a hint – it’s d).

Yes, the cast members of the sitcom “Parks and Recreation” are up to bat today, since I’m all flibbertigibbety over the fact that Dave manages to keep track of my ridiculous television viewing habits, and since I wanted Rob to be able to read one of my posts without blushing.

Rob, honey, this is for you:

Nick Offerman

I know my photo selection last time made you uncomfortable – this is better, right?

This masculine specimen of mustachioed magnificence is American actor, writer, and carpenter Nick Offerman. Nick’s Blog of Funny Names bona fides are courtesy of the women in his life – he’s married to Megan Mullally, and is dating Lucy Lawless on tv. I love him because, mustache. (If you missed his brilliant Movember awareness campaign, you can see it here).

He also holds a special place in my heart because I think that Nick’s character on “Parks and Recreation”, Ron Swanson (who lives in the above mentioned Pawnee), has one of the best worldviews on television today:

Ron Swanson's pyramid of greatness

Click this picture to read all of Ron’s wisdom in all of its protein loving entirety.

How much do I love that this man puts “romantic love” on the same level of manly greatness as “deer protein”?!? I swoon. And crave venison.

The fine folks of Pawnee are also played by Aubrey Plaza (whose fabulous name has been mentioned here before) and Aziz Ansari, who is something of a funny names aficionado himself:

And finally, I have to close out this post by giving a special shout out to Jean-Ralphio Saperstein. My man Jean is actually a fictional character on the show and not a real person, but, you know, tomato, tomato.

Or as Aziz might say, tomato, soulja boy tell ’ems.

love amb

About amb

Would rather spend time in TV land than Corporate World. Writes at wordsbecomesuperfluous.com and wishes she was more like Ingrid Bergman.
This entry was posted in funny names in tv and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Welcome to Pawnee, Indiana

1. Pingback: Wordful Wednesday for August 7, 2013 | words become superfluous

• amb says:

Me too. His delivery is priceless – I don’t know how he keeps a straight face on set. I hope he keeps going with his stand up comedy, I’d love to see him perform!

2. That EJ says:

Haha! That was hilarious. You had me in stitches. Thank you!

Wow.

Comin’ off my BoFN baptism high just to be left in the dust by Amb.

But of course, that was utterly, utterly predictable.

This pyramid is far superior to any of the seven wonders of the world, and filled with more clarity and truth than all of them combined. Ron Swanson is the man.

I have to go back to WBS now to look at one of your pretty pictures as my eyes are still hurting from looking at that first photo. Aie!

Sounds like a character. Very cool that he’s married to MM. And I love that you’re giving attentions to both the Carlson brothers now. The blogosphere can be a dangerous place 😉

• amb says:

I know, right?!? That image is quite … something. I couldn’t believe my luck in finding it!

He and MM are beyond fabulous together. They met doing theatre in … Chicago, I think? And the way they each talk about the other in interviews and such is just wonderful.

Poor Rob. I’m supposed to be making his life easier and instead I hijack his blog with pictures of shirtless men. A little attention is the least I can do 😉

6. Now that is funny. Mustache and all. I have to agree with Liz that my eye went a little wonky on the first picture.

That video is hysterical. Rappers and Latin. I would have never connected the two.

• amb says:

Indeed. Ron Offerman in all his, erm, glory is quite something to see. Hopefully Rob approves 😉

I never would have, either. I’d love to know if that was scripted or something that Aziz just made up – the whole thing feels very off the cuff to me. Love it!

7. Jack Flacco says:

I’m going to admit this, I haven’t seen the show, but it does sound ultra cool, for sure! I’m wondering now about that mustache comb he’s sporting in the shower. Does it also work on his eyebrows? 🙂

• amb says:

If you do decide to check it out Jack, you can skip season one and go straight to season two. It takes them a while to figure out what kind of show they want to be, but once they do? Brilliant! Did you ever watch Corner Gas? There’s some of that same small-town humour 🙂

Good question about the mustache comb. Knowing Nick, I’m sure it multitasks 😉

Honestly, I haven’t gotten that into Parks and Rec yet. My most recent ex-girlfriend (who may have watched more TV than you, Amb) showed me a few episodes that I enjoyed, but then after the schism, I never got back into it. Now may be the time, since I’m housesitting for Arto and Leslie and have Netflix! Woot!

I do love the “only in America” stereotype that Ron Swanson represents, and of course I’m a big Aubrey Plaza fan and find Amy Poehler and Aziz pretty hilarious. (Fun Fact: My high school buddy Taylor Williamson who’s now on America’s Got Talent was buddies with Aziz for a while back when they were both starting out in LA). Oh, and Detlef. Detlef is awesome!

Oh, and also, did you see the video that Alison Brie, Megan Mullally and Nick Offerman did where they all wore merkins? Actually, never mind. Of course you did! It’s Amb!

• amb says:

I’ll tell you the same thing I told Jack – if you’re going to pick the show up, skip season one (they were trying a little too hard to channel “The Office”) and start with season two. For you, I’d suggest the episode where Amy goes on a date with Louis CK !! Such comedic goodness !!! (Yes, on top of everything else, I also provide awesome personalized tv recommendations. No, I don’t know how you got so lucky, either 😉 ).

9. Pingback: Falling Back In Love With “The Good Wife” | The Duck and The Owl

We got some clickthroughs thanks to a Washington Post article that linked to our Detlef Schrempf article, which recommended this one as a similar article, which led me to read the comments above. It’s mind-blowing to me that only 8 short months ago, I hadn’t gotten into Parks & Rec. I’m an enthusiast now! And the amount that I love that picture of Ron Swanson in the shower makes it either the gayest or most manly thing I’ve ever done. I’m not sure which! 🙂