Funny Names at the Toronto International Film Festival

Hello there, my movie-loving muchachos! Grab your most glamorous pair of sunglasses, the overpriced accessory of your choice, and your entourage, because today we’re heading to the Toronto International Film Festival!

I am SO buying one of these t-shirts.

I am SO buying one of these t-shirts.

Yes, once again it’s that time of year where the beautiful people take over my neighbourhood, and I spend an extra ten minutes on my mascara in the morning in case I run into Ryan Gosling at Starbucks*. The festival opens tomorrow and runs until September 15th  , and I’m pleased to announce that all manner of funny named actors and actresses will be making appearances to support their films.

Here are some of the highlights on Amb’s “Must Stalk” – er, “Would Love to Oh-So-Casually Run Into” list:

Benedict Cumberbatch
Juliette Binoche
Marion Cotillard
Idris Elba
Zach Galifianakis

And that’s just a sampling. The award for “Most Funny Names in a Single Cast” goes to “12 Years a Slave” which stars Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Quvenzhané Wallis and Alfre Woodard! Plus, it just so happens to be TIFF’s most buzzed about flick this year.

I’m all corybantic at the thought of so much funny-named star power being right

Hi, Mark! Hi, Keira!

Hi, Mark! Hi, Keira!

here in my own backyard! Not to mention at the fact that I’ve gotten tickets to two films so far – a neorealist drama from Mexican director Alberto Morais called “The Kids from the Port” and an American romance called “Can a Song Save Your Life”  starring the delicious (and deliciously named) Mark Ruffalo, as well as Keira Knightley, Yaslin Bey, otherwise known as Mos Def, CeeLo Green, and, wait for it, Adam Levine. Can you even stand it?!? My head’s exploding already.

That’s it for me today, folks – I’m off to stock up on mascara and long distance camera lenses. I’ll be chronicling my adventures in Hollywood North over the next few days on my home blog, Words Become Superfluous, so make sure you stop by to find out if Ryan and I declare our love for each other over vanilla soy lattes!

love amb

* You never know, it could happen! Sightings from past years include Amber Tamblyn, Liv Tyler, Will Ferrell, and Samuel L Jackson in a Whole Foods Market, of all places. Do you not have someone who will pick up your organic produce for you, Sam?!?

About amb

Would rather spend time in TV land than Corporate World. Writes at wordsbecomesuperfluous.com and wishes she was more like Ingrid Bergman.
This entry was posted in funny names in movies and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Funny Names at the Toronto International Film Festival

1. Pingback: Wordful Wednesday for September 4, 2013 | words become superfluous

2. I must be really old because I didn’t know one SINGLE person on your list.

• amb says:

Lol! You’re not old, my friend, you just have better things to do than watch as many movies as certain other, pocket-sized bloggers … 😉

3. Holy cow, I love that shirt.

I hope the weather holds, or that you wear waterproof mascara. Can’t wait to hear about who you see.

Have fun!

• amb says:

Isn’t it just the best?! I’m definitely making a trip to the gift shop when I pick up my tickets 🙂

Long range forecast, check. Waterproof mascara, check. Pocket sized notebook so that I can record all the juicy details and report back to Fannie, check! 🙂

Ooh, TIFF time again. That must mean the men in tights are leaving the cinemas and I can venture in again in hopes of seeing actual good movies. Yay!

Also plucked from the program – Jahmil X.T. Qubeka’s “Of Good Report”. Don’t know him, just like man with an X as a middle initial.

Someone named Leanne Pooley has directed a movie about Sir Edmund Hillary. That’ll qualify as a funny name.

Honorary mention also to Wash Westmoreland, another director.

Good luck Gosling spotting!

Yay, amb! Like that you’re also looking at tiff from a funny-names perspective. (agreed–the t-shirt rocks) You’ve found some good ones 🙂 I remember Alfre Woodard from Desperate Housewives, so feel at least a teeny tiny bit in-the-know. Totally have Toronto envy right now, but also lucky to have you as reporter on the ground.

• amb says:

I had totally forgotten that Alfre was on DH, so there you go – you’re keeping me in the TV loop, my friend! I will most definitely put my Girl Friday skills to use and keep you up to date on the latest TIFF scoop! 🙂

6. That EJ says:

Awwwesome! I don’t know if I’d be more excited running into Marion Cotillard or Idris Elba. Either way my head would probably explode from abubbleness.And oyu have got to get one of those shirts! Brilliant!

Enjoy the day, Amb. Cannot wait to hear all about it!

• amb says:

Elba is your Luther, yes? I thought of you yesterday as I saw an article about the show on Slate.com – it looks awesome. I should definitely be adding it to my “must watch” list. I love how British series will do such short runs of episodes, usually means the quality goes way up compared to shows that have to churn out 20+ episodes each season.

You know I’ll fill you in on everything that happens, including any and all t-shirt purchases 🙂

• amb says:

PS: and you know I swooned when you threw “abubbleness” in there, right??

7. Number of t-shirts of different designs and color are available. One of them is funny t-shirt. These are very popular and liked by most of the people. One can choose that t-shirt that gives stylish, trendy and cool look.