Apple to Wellington: funny names in food drops the (baby) ball

Funny thing, this BoFN Contributor position. There are a handful of us who rotate Tuesdays on a monthly basis (except for amb who writes every other Wednesday, complicating things further). After publishing my monthly posts, I let BoFN responsibilities slip my mind, checking the calendar as the weeks go forward so I can mentally mark my next post date. Admittedly, the smart thing to do would be to map out exactly when I’m expected to post and work ahead toward those dates. But I’ve never been an especially organized person and tend to go with that proverbial flow.

Which today, has not served me well. Certain that my Tuesday was NEXT week, I checked the morning BoFN feed to find no new posts. A quick look at the calendar confirmed that I’ve dropped the ball. I considered pulling from my slowly growing archives of Funny Names in Food. I considered dropping Dave a note to say that I got nothin’.

The third option was to give it a go, quickly pulling something together and throwing it out there without too much thought. And that’s where I went with this.

Googling “funny names in food” brings up oodles of links forΒ foods with funny names. Tucked in among these crazy and most unfortunately named foods was a thought-provoking list from a Baby Center website, titledΒ Baby Names Inspired by Food and Drink.

I know not the rhyme nor reason for any of these names being selected (though it does explain a few celebrity baby names) and it’s an odd list overall. Some make sense (I’ve met Margaritas and Candys and Franks), though most do not. (Ice? Capers? Banana?) The list is good for a giggle, though if folks are looking for baby names, I’m offering you a few more choices. You’re welcome πŸ˜‰

I'm going for Baker, though that name didn't make the list.

FNiF readers, meet Baker. Baker, meet FNiF readers. They’re nice people!

Boys

• Ale, Alfredo, Almond, Anise, Bacon, Baker, Barack (Hungarian brandy made from apricots), Barley, Bartlett, Basil, Bass, Benedict, Berry, Bing, Caesar, Cajun, Cane, Capers, Chai, Chili, Chip, Chuck (steak), Cobb, Colby, Devon, Dijon, Dom (champagne), Eggbert (really?), Filbert, Frank, Frito, Graham, Harvey (Harvey Wallbanger cocktail), Hash, Herb, Hero, Ice, Jack (cheese), Joe (Sloppy Joe), Jordan (almonds), Kale, Kobe (beef), Louie (crab Louie), Mace, Maize, Monte – (Monte Cristo sandwich), Mulligan (stew), Napoleon, Pippin (apple), Ray (fish; also known as skate), Reuben, Sage, Shepherd (shepherd’s pie), Tom (Tom Collins cocktail), Vin (French for wine), Waldorf (salad), Wellington (as in beef)
Berry? Peaches?

Berry? Peaches?

Girls

• Abalone (edible mollusks), Absinthe (drink), Almond, Amandine, Amarantha (seeds, leaves, and stems of the amaranth plant), Ambrosia, Angelica (herb), Anise, Anjou, Apple, Banana, Bean, Bellini (cocktail), Berry, Blanche (from the cooking term, blanch), Blueberry, Brandy, Brie (cheese), Burgundy, Candy, Cashew, Cassis (liqueur), Chai, Champagne, Chardonnay, Charlotte (dessert made with ladyfingers), Cherry, Chianti, Clementine, Clove, Coco, Colby, Cookie, Coriander, Cress (green, leafy vegetable in the mustard family), Curry, Danish, Dolce (Italian for dessert), Dulce (Spanish for dessert), Γ‰clair, Fig, Ginger, Hallah (or Challah, type of bread), Honey, Jelly, Julienne, Kale, Lilikoi (Hawaiian for passion fruit), Madeleine, Magdalena (small sponge cake), Margarita, Martini, Melba, Melony (from melon), Merlot, Nori, Olive, Paprika, Parsley, Peach(es), Pear, Pepper, Plum, Reese, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Sherry, Shirley (Shirley Temple cocktail), Sugar, Sultana (type of grape used for raisins), Suzette (crΓͺpe preparation), Sweetpea, Syrah, Taffy, Thyme, Virginia (ham)

Seal_LLC (2)

About Liz

Owner of deLizious Food Communications. Projects include recipe development, editing, and formatting; food writing and editing; nutrition analysis; public speaking and cooking instruction. Past and present clients: General Mills, Green Giant Fresh, Hormel, Minnesota Beef Council, Minnesota Soybean, Minnesota Pork Producers, Norwood Promotional Products, Pillsbury, Tad Ware, and Weight Watchers Publishing. Mother of two young girls.
This entry was posted in baby names, funny names in food and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Apple to Wellington: funny names in food drops the (baby) ball

Eggbert is obviously the best name here. I mean, Eggbert. That works with any last name you can think of.

I’ve certainly forgotten my post more than once and then thrown something together in a hurry (as I’m sure you’ve noticed). Good job throwing out probably a record amount of names in one post in spite of your condensed posting time! Haha.

Eclair and Waldorf, sitting in a tree…

Goes along with my longstanding “bert names are almost always awesome” postulate. Hey… sounds like something that could morph into a Funny Names Theory…

• Liz says:

So you’ll be naming your first child Eggbert, then? Excellent. Glad I could help.

I do remember you (and Rob) not posting, then Dave handing out horrible punishments. (does the title, “Pony Cake Crusher” ring bells? How about mullet photos?) So was determined not to go that route. Dave can be tough like that πŸ˜‰

Looks like he’s having plenty of fun down there, so I need to hurry over to stop him before he gets out of hand. haha. Appreciate your comments always, Arto.

• Arto says:

I suppose it’s agreed. Eggbert it is. I’ll see what Leslie has to say about this. πŸ˜‰

Two words: Ted Danson. That was the Outerbridge Horsey VII of punishments (or perhaps of punishments that don’t actually have any real world impact).

For you, Liz, I may have photoshopped a photo of your face next to a very hairy celebrity like Tom Selleck. Luckily you dodged that fate!

2. mimijk says:

There was a song we used to sing at camp about a girl called ‘Sassafras’ – I just throw it out there because all these names made me think of it. You did a great save – love this post!!

Probably better than naming your kid Sarsaparilla! πŸ™‚

And I totally agree… Liz rocked this post! Sometimes it takes unusual restrictions to breed awesome creativity!

• Liz says:

Sassafras–liking that! We have a health store in town with that name, so didn’t think of it as a people name. She would surely be Sassy, haha. (like you didn’t see that coming) Hope your day is going splendiferously, Mimi. Thanks for coming by πŸ™‚

Liz, as Rocky once said: “it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!”

Well done on a surprisingly enjoyable post! We’ve barely scraped the surface of baby names, but there’s a goldmine out there.

• amb says:

You and your Rocky quotes – taking over multiple social media platforms with a single boxing franchise! Well played. (Stallone has a new boxing movie coming out, by the way. I saw the previews over the weekend. Who’s going to win in a match – him or De Niro?)

• Liz says:

And you are mining that goldmine πŸ™‚ You are a veritable treasure trove of motivational quotes, Dave. I’m failing to see the correlation between what you said and me spacing my post, so thinking you just wanted to write about Rocky today. Am I right? πŸ˜‰

Though that quote applies to much of daily life, so am glad to have read it this morning.

Haha, I guess the important thing was not that you stumbled on your scheduling, but that you produced something awesome anyway!

Although your other guess was good too πŸ™‚

If I met a woman named Absinthe, Chardonnay, or Merlot, I’d be smitten; and we all know how I feel about Alison Brie, so let’s add Brie, Clementine and Parsley to the list. Brandy reminds me of the Feist song Brandy Alexander, which is a good thing, even if the cocktail is overly sweet. Taffy is a super endearing name that reminds me of Taffy Nivert, the first person I ever profiled on this blog. Sweetpea reminds me of legendary boxer Pernell “Sweet Pea” Whitaker, who I’ve surprisingly not yet featured on this blog.

I’d probably “holla!” if I met a lady named Hallah.

Some of those names are just odd, though: Champagne is pretty much giving your child permission to become a lush when they get older.

I’ve met a dude named Cale, but not a lady named Kale.

Just because I’m weird like that, I’d consider naming my kid Hero.

Ice is a hardcore name. He’d be a badass. So would Mulligan, because of the wrestler Blackjack Mulligan.

Capers? Capers Carlson. Sounds too weird to be real.

And Waldorf has a lot of weird sounds in it. Kids would go to town on that name during grade school. Wall-dork, ball-dorf, tall-dorf (if he was tall), small-dorf (if he was small) – probably a bit too perilous.

Reuben is a super cool name and may be my favorite kind of sandwich.

I wonder if any Baracks are named after the Hungarian brandy rather than the President. That would be awkward to explain to your child πŸ™‚

Last thing: a fella with the first and middle names Harvey Wallbanger would grow up to be an awesome achiever. It’s a bit of a Kermit Can Kill Conjecture, mixed in with the quirkiness of being a Harvey.

• Liz says:

Dave! I may score a few creativity points for pulling out this food baby name thing (and proceeding to copy/paste for my post after the standard rambling intro), but you are the word maestro here with your review of the names. Nice!

You’ve talked about being an “idea guy” and I’m going to counter you here with my own “idea gal” thought: You should write a book of food puns. I’ll sign on to edit (giving you a reasonable rate, of course–haha) and could even add recipes. I can see it being the IT book come holiday season. Have your people call my people and we’ll get it done πŸ˜‰

I like it! I’m totally open to the idea… probably not til next holiday season (when I’m in med school, haha), but honestly think a food puns/recipe cookbook could be a good idea.

• Arto says:

That’s a great idea. After particularly labored puns you can offer cocktail recipes to help people get over their pun-inspired (punspired?) forehead slapping. What a fine idea!

Hopefully their forehead slapping doesn’t leave them in cham-pain!

• Liz says:

Hope you’re writing these all down, Dave. And not just here. In a separate notebook labeled “food pun/recipe book” project.

Haha, you overestimate my organizational abilities, Liz. If anything I’ll open a Google Doc for it. Otherwise it’s a bunch of things scribbled on printer paper that I hope I can still find in a month or two.

• Arto says:

You need a good title. “Happy Hours d’Oeuvres”? “Rice to the Challenge?” “Cookie sheet hits the fan”? Ok, I got nothing.

5. amb says:

Liz!!! This cracked me the heck up. Do you think it’s a bad sign that some of my favourite names are the alcohol based ones? (Absinthe, Bellini. Bellini!!!). πŸ˜‰

So much fun. If you hadn’t said that you dropped the (baby) ball – love that title, by the way – I never would have guessed it!

It’s not a bad sign. It’s a very good one, and I’m glad we agree on Absinthe as an awesome baby name!

• Liz says:

Thanks, amb. Definitely spit this one out extremely last-minute. (kind of like baby spit-up, haha or eeewwww, gross depending on perspective)

But here’s what I’m thinking now. Should Dave ever accept one of your proposals, and should you start a family together one day, I hope you use this list to name your babies πŸ™‚ Arto already said he was going to name his first child Eggbert. (Sorry, Arto! I’m supposed to be one of the nice ones around here πŸ˜‰ )

I liked the alcohol-based names, too. Funny how there are Brandys, but no Rums or Bourbons. Why is that?

• amb says:

LOL! Oh my goodness. This may be my favourite reply in the history of BoFN – no pressure, Dave.

Little Absinthe is going to be a critically thinking-cultural analyzing-entrepreneurial genius !!! Who is devastatingly gorgeous and has a mean right hook, obviously.

Don’t “no pressure” me! I thrive on pressure. πŸ˜‰

A mean right hook means Absinthe will be probably be a southpaw (traditional fighters tend to have trouble landing a good right hook because they have to hook across their body, which makes it a bit of a looping (therefore easy to anticipate) punch and exposes their torso, just because I know you care). All-time greats Sergio Martinez, Pernell “Sweet Pea” Whitaker, Manny Pacquiao and Marvelous Marvin Hagler were all southpaws, and people have trouble anticipating their punches. We could be onto something here, Amber! πŸ˜‰

What about Cayenne or Cholula? Those would be some spicy names!

And one of my favorite cocktails is the Gordon’s Breakfast (I’m a sucker for spicy things), so add Gordon to the list.

• amb says:

Dave, honey, I can be as spicy as you want.

(Sorry, Liz. Why is it that I always misbehave during your posts?! The free flowing cocktails, perhaps πŸ˜‰ ).

• Liz says:

added, though I don’t know this cocktail so am off to google it. Already liking it because you can have it for breakfast, yes?

If you want! I tend to enjoy it in the evening too πŸ™‚ There’s a little speakeasy in San Diego that’s only accessible by a secret hidden door, and they make amazing Gordon’s Breakfasts!

7. Liz-I’m so impressed how you could pull a post out of your proverbial “chef’s” hat. (Yes, I know you’re not a chef.)

Again, I can not decide which I like more the comments or the post.

Dave-Loved your post within a comment…I’m just sayin’. πŸ™‚

Regarding the name Hero–didn’t Shakespeare beat us to the punch on that one? (Much Ado About Nothing.)

Thanks! I wish posting were as easy as writing a post within the comments. I always find it easier to riff on what other people give me, which is why I have so much fun with FNITN.

I’ll make a confession: I’m notoriously bad at Shakespeare stuff. I never enjoyed the script-style form of storytelling (it’s supposed to be acted, not read, in my opinion), and since it’s Shakespeare there are tons of online summaries so I tended not to read too deeply into the plays I was forced to read in high school.

Beautiful boxing pun. It’s the little things I appreciate πŸ™‚

• Liz says:

Thanks, Tracy. You wouldn’t believe the things I can pull out of that hat πŸ˜‰ This comment thread is especially entertaining, agreed. Not intimately familiar with Shakespeare’s work, but have Much Ado on my netflix queue–does that count?

• It absolutely counts!

Although I’ve noticed it’s better live than on the big screen. Some things “get lost in translation”.

• Liz says:

agreed. Which was another good movie–did you see? Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray?

• Yes, and I had mixed feelings about the movie. I’ve spent time in Japan. They nailed the cultural differences in the movie. I’m just not sure the plot grabbed me.

• Liz says:

I cried like a baby. Seems we’ve brought amb’s discussion over here πŸ™‚

• I guess we have. πŸ˜€

But I get why you cried. It was a very poignant film. Completely worth the Oscar nod.

• amb says:

Yay! Because obviously my name hasn’t come up in this comment thread often enough. πŸ˜‰ I was all set to geek out on Dave about how Shakespeare is meant to be read out loud and that the musicality he brings to language is just gorgeous – but I’d much rather talk movies with you two lovely ladies. I have to admit that I haven’t seen “Lost in Translation” from start to finish, only in bits and pieces. Considering my deep and undying love for Bill Murray, this is quite a sad state of affairs.

great post liz, and i don’t really have a leg to stand on, as my nickname has been ‘peaches’ since i was a young child and now my grandchildren call me the same )

9. Pingback: Taraji P Henson and the Cast of Person of Interest | The Blog of Funny Names

Is it you up already, Liz? I thought you just did one . . .

You’re not the only one who’s losing track.

Well, anyway, I thought this post was totally infantile.

But I mean that in a totally good way!

• Liz says:

Hey, thanks, diddy! Like to think of myself in younger terms, so I’ll totally take infantile πŸ˜‰

Yes, not sure how my turn came up so quickly. Thinking amb’s Dr. Who took a week out of September somehow as I really did think I was next week. This just means you’re coming up quickly, too, so hope you’re plotting. Wouldn’t want want to get stuck putting something out there last minute.

I’ll tell you a secret, Liz. I write these things up obsessively,at least three weeks before they’re due, and fuss over them endlessly for those three weeks. The next is no exception. According to my calendar, mine’s like Oct. 29, right?

• Liz says:

you’re asking ME when YOU post? I don’t even known when I post next. And need to think about tonight’s food for fun post first.

Looking forward to reading yours whenever it comes up. Thanks for letting me in on your secret πŸ˜‰

12. Pingback: syrupy sweet | food for fun

13. Pingback: Crescent Dragonwagon, etc: The Summer Slide Edition | The Blog of Funny Names