Movember, Baseball Style!

By popular demand (and by popular demand, I mean at the request of one somewhat dorky, lovable, peanut butter eating, Dave loving Canadian – none other than, you guessed it, Amber Lavitt), I have decided to do a Movember-dedicated post. Apparently, November has become a bit of a mustache month, to my surprise. Movember (http://us.movember.com/about) is a movement dedicated to improving men’s health by growing mustaches to raise awareness and funds for the cause.

Anywho, I’ll be talking mustaches (and other facial hair) today – baseball style! The mustache and baseball have a long and beautiful history, and some of the greatest ‘staches of all-time have been worn by some of the great game’s finest. This will be more visual than most of my posts.

Among the game’s great mustachioed (and funny-named) men:

Rollie Fingers – I’ve already written about him here, but Rollie has perhaps baseball’s most iconic, awesome ‘stache – the famous wax handle bar. He also had a Hall of Fame career, which I guess makes his a Hall of Fame mustache.

Goose Gossage – Already wrote about him a little bit as well. Another guy with an iconic mustache, which made his already intimidating demeanor all the more fearsome. Ended up in the Hall of Fame, just like Rollie.

Gorman Thomas – I love the name Gorman. Brewers fans love the man affectionately known as “Stormin’ Gorman.” One of the most popular players in Brewers history, Gorman was a two time AL home run champion and a one time all-star. Hit 268 homers in his career, but struck out more often than Amb swoons over Dave, and also had an abysmal .225 career average. You gotta love the ‘stache though. One of the most manly baseball ‘staches of all time.

Corky Miller – Corky Abraham Phillip Miller last played with the Reds last season. A journeyman backup catcher, Miller’s career hasn’t been exceptional. He debuted in 2001 and has amassed a .193 average to go along with 11 dingers and 67 RBIs. What he lacks in baseball might, however, he more than makes up for with his uber-manly Fu Manchu. This guy makes Gorman look like cotton candy.

Corky is Classy! (source: zimbio.com)

Corky is Classy! (source: zimbio.com)

Catfish Hunter – James Augustus Hunter was saddled with the nickname Catfish for no other reason than the fact that zany A’s owner Charlie Finley thought Jim Hunter needed a flashy nickname. The nickname might have been fitting, however, as Catfish actually lost a toe in a hunting accident before his Major League career began. Catfish had a mediocre mustache but a great career. He finished his Hall of Fame career with a 224-166 record to go along with a 3.26 ERA.

He's a cool Cat(fish).

He’s a cool Cat(fish).

Al “The Mad Hungarian” Hrabosky – One of baseball’s great characters, who also happens to bear a striking resemblance to the lovely Amber Lavitt. (I’m kidding, Amb!) You’ll be relieved to know, however, that The Mad Hungarian doesn’t sign his name with a heart, unlike Miss Lavitt. Thank god. Anywho, Al Hrabosky had a decent big league career, amassing a 64-35 record, 97 saves, and a 3.10 ERA in stints with the Cardinals, Royals and Braves. But Al is more famous for his great on-field antics. Between pitches, The Mad Hungarian would turn his back to the batter, walk towards second base, rub the ball between his palms, take a deep breath, and pound the ball into his mitt. He would then storm back to the mound and stare down the batter. To make himself even more menacing, he busted out this fantastic ‘stache.

The Mad Hungarian himself.

The Mad Hungarian himself.

There you have it. You go, Rollie, Goose, Gorman, Corky, Catfish and Mad Hungarian!

About Rob

Huge San Diego Padres fan, working as an economic consultant in Pasadena, CA. Contributor to the Funny Names Blog. funnynamesblog.wordpress.com
This entry was posted in funny names in baseball and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Movember, Baseball Style!

1. amb says:

Rob !!! Oh my goodness. I can’t believe that actually worked !!! I’ll be getting you to write television recaps before you know it.

I’m teasing. This post has even more mustachioed greatness than I was hoping for, so I’d best quit while I’m ahead 😉 Corporate World has been crazed for the last few days, and this was exactly what I needed to make it through my Wednesday. Thank you! You go Rob !!!

PS: I’m totally using these descriptions of me for my LinkinIn profile.

Whatever the heck LinkinIn is, you really should!

Also, I was wondering if you’re OK with your first-name-last-name combo being on the blog. If not, it’s something we should address sooner rather than later. Then again, with that kind of description, who could resist having that be Google-able!

• amb says:

LinkedIn is a professional networking site. If you’re not on it, you should be!

Thanks for asking. Your brother’s the only one who last-names me around here, and it doesn’t happen often, so it’s not a problem. For all my flirting, I manage my online self like a grownup – if you Google me the search results are professional. Nothing scandalous! 😉

• Rob says:

My pleasure Amb! Thanks for the idea. 🙂

Rob, all this amb teasing is making me think there is more than one Carlson brother sweet on the pocket-sized, hat-wearing, peanut butter-loving Canadian. ??

But about the post–glad I read it in the morning as it would give me mustachioed nightmares before bed. All that facial hair! I will give Rollie a few points for those curlie-cues, though. Wow.

Good research, Rob. Mustaches and the stats to back them up. (there’s a facial hair pun in there somewhere, but didn’t get enough sleep last night to untangle it)

Haha, the weirdest thing is that Rollie Fingers and Goose Gossage both played for the Padres. And in fact, I attended one year of grade school as a classmate of Rollie Fingers’ son.

I can’t make a good mustache pun either. Something in the aether is amiss!

• Rob says:

Go Friars! Hahaha, I have a tendency to make fun of everything and everyone, so Dave need not worry that I’m sweet on Amb! 🙂 Rollie is the man. He actually grew that mustache in order to get paid a bonus by the same guy who gave Catfish Hunter his nickname…but Rollie ended up keeping it!

This post is dripping testosterone all over my laptop.

That is a lot of mustache.

Stormin’ Gorman looks like the kind of guy you’d see sippin’ on a cup of joe at an Idaho roadside diner at 3am.

5. Rob says:

Well said, Arto! Yes he does! He actually looks a little bit more Montana than Idaho to me, though.

That’s a fantastic moustache display! They scream Alpha Male all over the place.

It ocurred to me that it is also possible to have Octobeard (though I think Arto featured beards already not too long ago) and Desideburn.

7. Pingback: Idrissa Akuna “Idris” Elba | The Blog of Funny Names