Funny Names Blog’s Weekend Boxing Update

Hello folks,

It’s your friendly neighborhood funny names blogger Dave here, with a surprise announcement.

We're all out of funny names blog posts, but perhaps I can interest you in a picture of Rollie Fingers?

We’re all out of funny names blog posts, but perhaps I can interest you in a picture of Rollie Fingers?

Due to some extenuating circumstances – namely, writing 38 application essays, two lengthy tutoring sessions, and a job interview in a 4 day span – I am too exhausted to write an all-new Monday Funny Names Blog post. I struggle to remember the last time this happened.

However, just so I don’t leave you hanging, I’ll give you a boxing update, which has more funny names than you can shake a stick at. It’s been such a crazy week that it’s hard for me to believe it’s been only one week since Gennady Gennadyevich Golovkin defeated Curtis Stevens.

In the first bout on Saturday’s Boxing After DarkDemetrius Andrade defeated Vanes “Nightmare” Martirosyan in the battle of the Greek-sounding guy versus the Armenian guy. Andrade won by split decision, but it was enough to bring him a light middleweight title.

This is the left hook that knocked out Darchinyan.

This is the left hook that knocked out Darchinyan. Ouch. I don’t care if they’re 126-pound munchkins. Nonito’s left hook is the best in the bidness!

In the show’s second bout, Funny Names Blog mainstay Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire, Jr. looked shaky in the first fight back since his loss to Guillermo Rigondeaux and the birth of his child Jarel Donaire (stands for Junior And Rachel Everlasting Love… and yes, Rachel is Nonito’s wife’s name), but managed to pull off a stunning 9th round knockout of tough competitor Vic “The Raging Bull” Darchinyan, in a rematch of the upset victory that launched Donaire to stardom 6 years ago.

Finally, in the night’s main event, Miguel Angel “Mikey” Garcia carried his dominance into a new weight division with a knockout victory – by body shot no less – over Roman “Rocky” Martinez, an all-action fighter who doesn’t go down easy.

Do you want to know how crazy this week has been? I only just now (2AM on Sunday night/Monday morning) got around to watching one of the three all-star bouts this weekend. And it’s not getting easier: I have two more apps (8 essays) and a 5-hour tutoring sesh today (I’m accepting that it’s Monday now). The good news is if Nonito can bounce back from a loss to Olympic legend Rigondeaux, then Dave can bounce back from this… whatever the heck it is.

Oh look, a dancing pickle!

Oh look, a dancing pickle!

Happy Monday everybody! I just now realized that it’s Veteran’s Day and I could have had an excuse to take today off. Oh well. Pickles.

About Dave

Based out of San Diego, California. Co-founder of the Blog of Funny Names. funnynamesblog.wordpress.com

11 Responses to Funny Names Blog’s Weekend Boxing Update

Why is this not to be considered a regular Monday Funny Names post? It’s a Monday. It’s a post. And look! There are funny names in it!

So . . . ??

Sometimes I don’t understand youses guys.

But one thing I know: since you and Amb routinely overextend yourselves, you definitely must be perfect for each other!

Normally on the Monday after we do a FNITN, Arto and I write a post profiling a funny-named individual in great, irreverent detail. I felt too exhausted to do that, but I guess I always get carried away when writing about boxing, so I managed to fill the post anyway.

Good note about Amb. It’s true.

I think another difference is that this one took me 20 minutes, whereas a usual Monday post takes at least 40, sometimes much more.

Wait, I almost forgot:

” . . . seemingly down for the count, Dave rises up to give a knock-out post . . .”

“. . . Dave starts out like Walking Dead and walks out with bobble heads . . .”

“. . . an extraordinary resurrection . . . a post-Apocalyptic tour de force . . .”

“. . . snatching funny name virtuosity from the jaws of overcommitment and sleep deprivation, Dave tops it off with a surreal self-recrimination that will leave you wondering, ‘whuh huuuhhh?’ . . .”

am with diddy on wondering how this is not a regularly scheduled funny names post. ?? Besides, we all know there’s no such thing as “regular” or “scheduled” or even “normal” around here. Anything goes! So your pictures of Rollie Fingers and that cute little dancing pickle are fine by me. The boxing stuff in the middle is ok, too, but I mostly like the dancing pickle 😉

Good luck with all, Dave. And even more, keep up with this practicing to perform at a high level in many things all at the same time as things will never change! The issues and tasks may, but am thinking we are similar in that we always have a lot to do and when we don’t, we find something to do. So you will always be busy and am thinking that will suit you well. Keep on keeping on and come find me when you need a cocktail or are ready for a snack break.

Thanks for the kind words! I’m feeling like that could be another unifying trait of us BoFN folk – we have a sort of rampant curiosity that leads us to always find new things to fill our time. Just throwing around ideas but sometimes being sleepy makes me reflective. 🙂 I’ll definitely hit you up for a cocktail break or snack break (wait?!? Those are two different things?!?) when the time comes 🙂

• Liz says:

hey–always here. Not sure there are too many upsides to sleepy (though if being reflective is one, that’s good to know), but it seems a price to pay for that rampant curiosity that is always egging us on. Last night fell asleep at 7 p.m. (husband is out of town, so my two kids had to put themselves to bed–lol) as I think I crossed the “sleepy” mark and hit “passed out tired.” (no alcohol involved, btw. I try to be a good mom 😉 ) You definitely have age on your side! lol snack vs cocktail. If I make a Bloody Mary and serve one of your dancing pickles on the side, we have food and drink.

‘nightmare’ is one great nickname. pulls a little more weight than my nickname,’peaches.’