Funny Names in the News 63 Caps off a weird week

iBienvenidos mis amigos! It’s another exciting edition of Funnnnnnnnny Names in the News, where we bring you the most fascinating names we’ve encountered this week.

And what a strange week it has been! If you feel like we’ve just spoken recently, there’s a good reason for that – this week has seen no fewer than 3 missed posts. In fact, were it not for my chance encounter with an article about Pepper Roach, this would be the first BoFN post this week. Insanity!

In addition to being an exceptional photo, this had an exceptional caption, so I'll just borrow that. " 'We are the children of Dionysus, sailing in a barrel and not ­recognising any authority' … Nadezhda Tolokonnikova of Pussy Riot writing to Slavoj Žižek."

In addition to being an exceptional photo, this had an exceptional caption that I’ll shamelessly borrow: ” ‘We are the children of Dionysus, sailing in a barrel and not ­recognising any authority’ … Nadezhda Tolokonnikova of Pussy Riot writing to Slavoj Žižek.”

Speaking of insanity, the Russian government is holding steadfastly to its ridiculous decision to imprison Nadezhda Tolokonnikova of Liz’s favorite band, Pussy Riot. It’s a darn shame when a country can’t recognize it has a national treasure on its hands until far too late. However, not all is lost, because first of all Nadezhda has still got gumption, and she’s doing awesome stuff like writing about Greek gods.

We’re most pleased by the fact that she has been writing about Greek gods to none other than everyone’s favorite Slovenian philosopher, Slavoj Žižek, whose birds perching on Z’s have made him the newest member in the Blog of Funny Names’ venerable cast of “copy and paste” characters. The impressive crew is led by orange-wearing gang leader Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson, who you may know as the guy who runs that fishing company in Iceland yet steadfastly claims that he’s “not into fishing.” Which is funny, because that’s what I’ve been saying about my mayonnaise and textile companies all these years.

(Kshama Sawant) I've never met someone with three consecutive consonants in their name that I didn't like. You're welcome Jeff Probst and Jon Voight!

(Kshama Sawant) I’ve never met someone with three consecutive consonants in their name that I didn’t like. You’re welcome Jeff Probst and Jon Voight!

Moving on to the other side of the world, Blog of Funny Names political correspondent Davey Boy is thrilled that Socialist candidate Kshama Sawant was elected to Seattle’s City Council, becoming the first Socialist to hold office in that damp but wonderful city in at least 100 years. I think I should clarify that the reason we’re thrilled is not because of any political convictions (the Blog of Funny Names is an inclusive, nonpartisan community), but because of her name, Kshama Sawant (the Blog of Funny Names *is* pro-funny names… you could even call us the lunatic fringe of the funny names debate).

Ms. Sawant, who works as a college economics professor – is anyone else intrigued by the idea of a socialist economist? – has been pushing a platform of raising the minimum wage to $15, enacting rent control, and taxing multimillionaires to fund a public transit system. Granted, a city councilmember doesn’t have the authority of a mayor, and a mayor doesn’t have the authority of Vladimir Putin, but we nonetheless hope Sawant can work together with her colleagues and get some good stuff through the marshy landscape of city politics.

Charlotte Zolotow, author of many books, editor of many more, and creator of Crescent Dragonwagon.

Taking a more pensive tone, we are sad to report that famed children’s author Charlotte Zolotow has passed away at age 98. The New York Times posted a touching tribute to Zolotow, and she is remembered fondly by the thousands of people influenced by her writing. Speaking of people who she influenced, Zolotow is survived by her children Zee and Crescent Dragonwagon. You may remember Crescent Dragonwagon as one of our all-time favorite funny-named personalities, who graced us with her appreciative comments and generosity in response to Liz’s inaugural post. We wish Crescent and family the very best as they deal with this loss.

Finally, BoFN Pilfering Correspondent Arto decided to take a break from his erudite readings to share a factoid about… well, something. Take it away, Arto!

“There’s a great article in the New Yorker this week about grease oil theft. Apparently, collecting and processing used frier oil from restaurants is a multibillion dollar business. It features people with names like Randall Stuewe, Steve Felchak, Danny Spurlock, and Ronny Lemond, the last of whom is a cousin of a guy who refers to himself as the “Cat Daddy”. It’s a good read if you can get your hands on it.”

That’s it for Funny Names in the News, capping off one of our blog’s strangest weeks ever. Tune in next week, when we intrepidly explore the light side of the moon.

About Dave

Based out of San Diego, California. Co-founder of the Blog of Funny Names. funnynamesblog.wordpress.com
This entry was posted in Funny Names In The News, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Funny Names in the News 63 Caps off a weird week

Another FNIT tour de force!

Sometimes it’s hard to tell you and Arto apart because your FNitN styles are so similar. If I hadn’t had the clues, I would have guessed Arto on this one.

This, of course, is a totally positive observation, in case there is doubt on that point!

Personally, I think it’s OK to relax that post every weekday thing. It’s kind of a punishing posting schedule.

• amb says:

Back in the early, dark days of this blog, before the BoFN boys realized just how good their lives would be with me in them, I would try to guess the author of each post before scrolling down to the comments. Made mornings in Corporate World that much more edutaining. Good for my ego too, as I could almost always tell them apart 🙂

Thanks! I’ve always thought Arto was a bit tighter with his style and a tad funnier with his concise one-liners, where I try to make up for it with weird sayings and a whole lotta personality. I agree this post was more Arto-like than many of mine. The part about my mayonnaise and textile companies seems very Arto-like. I even felt-Arto like while writing it!

nicely done, Dave. It’s weeks like this when we realize that YOU are BoFN and the co-founders and contributors simply your minions. But now that you’ve had lessons in how to feed us well, we’ll do just fine serving under you.

Great shout-out to Charlotte. It’s been fun to see Crescent’s relationship with her mom through the fb feeds. What a powerhouse and trailblazer her mom was. Apple don’t fall far from tree!

Disturbing to hear that a Pussy Riot member is heading to jail. Doesn’t bode well.

Thanks for keeping the ship afloat, Captain! Aye-aye and all that 😉

Did you hear that Arto?! You’re my minion?!? (I’ll make sure to bring this comment to his attention at least once a week for the rest of his life 😉 )

Haha, in all fairness, I can’t entirely agree. Arto was the one who created this WordPress blog and wrote the inaugural Outerbridge Horsey VII post, and there’s no way this blog would have survived its early days without the two of us keeping each other accountable. He’s just nice and Finnish and lets me take more of the credit.

That said, I LOVE that you have given me a comment that I can lord over Arto forever. I still remind him every now and then that I was the first one to make a young lady swoon over my writing.

In exchange for that, *furtively looks to see if anyone’s watching* here’s the virtual sandwich you requested on Tuesday, with pepper and sandwichy things! Enjoy!

I think Pussy Riot is doing an awesome job building awareness for the harsh political climate in Russia, and admire them greatly.

I was not surprised in the least to read about Crescent Dragonwagon’s mother being an awesome pioneer/trailblazer type. Makes sense! Plus, I’m always pleased to write, read, or hear the name Crescent Dragonwagon. It’s an all-time great!

Happy Friday evening!

• Arto says:

Now now Dave, just because a nice Minnesotan says something doesn’t make it true. I can bring someone in too to say you’re my love slave but we both know that doesn’t make it (entirely) true.

• Liz says:

lol, was just swinging by to tell Dave that just because I see us as his minions doesn’t mean Arto would see it the same way. It’s all in perception.

Thanks for the sammy, Big D. I’ll have another 😉

Any name starting with Z should end in “ow”. Just gives it that nice punchy sound. Zolotow!

i love the used frier oil gang’s names. perfect for that profession. they were destined for it.

I totally agree! We have a theory called “nominative determinism” where someone’s name influences their personality and career path. This is one more piece of evidence supporting that idea.

I heard Pussy Riot was incited by the Vagina Demagogues.

6. Again, what do I love more, the post or the comments. . . I can never decide.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised to see Kshama highlighted in this esteemed blog. While I no longer reside in Seattle, it’s fun to watch what happens there. For example, the war on bicycles will be interesting, no doubt. 😉 If any funny names abound, I’ll keep you posted. 😀

Is that a Seattle Post-Intelligencer reference? One of my favorite newspaper names (yes, I have a list of favorite newspaper names. Rob’s list may be even better. I think Arto is building one too, haha 🙂 )

Some other favorites:

The Cleveland Plain Dealer
      The Des Moines Register
      The New Orleans Times Picayune
      The Sacramento Bee
      The Tombstone Epitaph
      The Saskatoon StarPhoenix
      The Youngstown Vindicator
      The Toledo Blade

Those are all that have come to mind right now, but I’m sure there are some great ones I’m overlooking.

7. Pingback: Funny Names in the News 67, with a Splendid Announcement from Russia | The Blog of Funny Names