Chiwetel Eijiofor

Ok. This is getting ridiculous. I’ve clearly been hanging around the BoFN boys for too long. It’s bad enough that I now notice funny names everywhere I go (you try sending a communication out on schedule when your recipients have names like Blaine McPhail!) but now our lives are starting to match up, too. Last Wednesday Rob was dealing with a fire drill, and today I’m dealing with one of my own – that is, if you can call it a fire drill when your team member throws you under the firetruck and then backs up over you a couple of times. Ouch.

See, here he is with Nathan. Hi, Nathan!

See, here he is with Nathan. Hi, Nathan!

But we all know that I’d never republish an old post when I could talk about new showbiz gossip instead, so here we go! We’re smack dab in the middle of Hollywood Schmoozing Season, leading up to this year’s Oscar nominations. And one name that’s being heard over and over at luncheons and screenings and sparkly parties is Chiwetel Eijiofor. Whether or not people are pronouncing it correctly is another matter.

I’m pretty sure that Chiwetel (pronounced CHEW-eh-tell EDGE-ee-oh-four) is one of the best names that I’ve written about on this blog to date. I’m basing this statement on the following highly scientific and very precise formula: the dude has been in some of my very favourite movies (Love Actually! Serenity! Inside Man! Children of Men!)Β  with some of my very favourite actors (Liam Neeson! Nathan Fillion!! Clive Owen!! Clive Owen again!!!) and I never realized just how talented he was or just what an amazing name he had until now.

And here he is with Clive. Hi, Clive!

And here he is with Clive. Hi, Clive!

Of course, that amazing talent (and name!) is front-and-center these days, as Chiwetel is considered a sure thing for a Best Actor Oscar nomination, and most likely a win as well, for his role in 12 Years a Slave. I haven’t seen the movie yet – I need to prepare myself to be a complete emotional basket case first – but by all accounts his performance is simply astonishing.

All historical implications aside, my little drama-geek heart is just thrilled that a classically trained, British stage actor is breaking through in Hollywood in such a big way! According to my showbiz sources, next up for Chiwetel is the movie Z for Zachariah, in which he, Chris Pine, and Amanda Seyfried will reportedly play survivors of a radioactive event. The world needs more men who can take on Shakespeare and science-fiction, don’t you think?

And here he is at this year's Toronto International Film Festival. Hi, Chiwetel!

And here he is at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival. Hi, Chiwetel!

love amb

About amb

Would rather spend time in TV land than Corporate World. Writes at wordsbecomesuperfluous.com and wishes she was more like Ingrid Bergman.
This entry was posted in funny names in movies and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Chiwetel Eijiofor

1. That EJ says:

I may have said this last time, but I am a huge Ejiofor fan! I think he’s amazing. I hope he wins the Oscar. Not that I’ve seen the film either. He just deserves one. Great post and funny-name choice, Amb! πŸ™‚

• amb says:

EJ !!! Hi. How much do I love that yours is the first face I get to see around here today ?!? (Hint: it’s a lot). You and I have talked about Chiwetel before, I think. Such a talented guy! Have you seen him in Kinky Boots? I haven’t, but I feel like that movie would be a lot easier for me to handle than 12 Years. Adding it to my holiday viewing list πŸ™‚

Wow. That’s one of those names that I can barely believe is real, and I’m a grizzled funny names veteran. I’m totally rooting for Chewy for that Oscar.I’m similarly hesitant to watch “12 Years a Slave” for the same reasons as you. Seems very heavy – a film that’ll need my full attention.

On the subject of “Love, Actually” did I ever tell you the story (I’m going to say there’s a 50% chance I did) about being in the “media & celebrities” section for the Pacquiao-Margarito fight, and a couple of tourists asked to take photos with me because they thought I was Hugh Grant? They were pretty assertive so I didn’t have the heart to tell them no, and a part of me hopes they cherish those photos and never find out I was just some stupid kid who only vaguely resembles an accent-less, 25-years-younger Hugh Grant, and just got his first press pass. Nonetheless, that was the only 5 seconds I’ve spent as a “celebrity” and it was kind of a weird experience.

(Especially since I’ve never seen a Hugh Grant movie.Someone recently recommended Love Actually to me so it’s in my queue right now. I’ll report back when I watch it.)

Sorry again about the firetruck, and I’m glad you got to say hi to Nathan, Clive and Chewy today! Hope today goes better than yesterday!

Oh, and the name Blaine MacPhail reminds me of former boxer Mike McFail, who appeared back in FNITN 45. https://funnynamesblog.com/2013/07/19/fnitn-45/

• amb says:

I can remain eternally young while you’re over there being grizzly and veteran-ly, right?

Based on interviews I’ve read, I really think there will be scenes in 12 Years that I won’t be able to sit through. I may have to support Chewy in other ways. Speaking of not sitting through movies, you’ll have to let me know what you think of Love, Actually. I’m picturing you enjoying some parts and being thoroughly annoyed by others.

I haven’t heard the Hugh Grant story – that’s great. You should downplay the “weird experience” part and focus on “I’m tall and apparently dapper” when you’re out mingling under the mistletoe over the holidays!

• Arto says:

It really is a great movie though. And it’s not just Chewy, there’s also Benedict Cumberbatch (Cumberbatch magic!), and the I-wish-his-first-name-was-like-Herbert-or-something Michael Fassbender…funny named talented folks and such. There’s really only one scene that’s really gut wrenching, but it’s there. It’s definitely a “broccoli movie”. Good for you but not everyone’s gonna get it on their plate.

It’s not about whether you can remain eternally young, it’s that you *will* remain eternally young!

Enjoying some parts and thoroughly annoyed by others… seems like a reasonable prediction.

Haha, I just don’t want to come across as some jerk who seems like I’m bragging, instead of just relating a funny story, so that’s why I keep talking about its weirdness. And frankly, given my upbringing, I don’t feel all that tall – Rob is significantly taller (although my posture is better so occasionally I’ll actually be taller than him), and I grew up playing basketball so I feel like a very normal height person. 6’0″ is normal, isn’t it? Perhaps we should rephrase that as “I’m dapper and apparently tall”. Because the tall part is more shocking to me πŸ™‚

My mouth can’t say that name, no matter how hard I try. I think I sprained my jaw. Maybe it’s an Ewok language?

holiday game – try to say his name 3 times, really fast, after downing 3 of liz’s holiday cocktails )

5. I’m sorry you had such a rough time at work.

On a separate note, Z for Zachariah was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I bet it makes for a wonderful screen adaptation.

• amb says:

Thanks Fannie !!! It has been a bit brutal, but the end of the week is in sight!! Whoohoo!!

Was it really?! That’s awesome! I actually hadn’t heard of this one before … will have to do some Googling. Looking forward to checking it out! If you like it it’s bound to be good πŸ˜€

amb! Guess Wednesday wasn’t such a woo hoo for you after all 😦 You’ve picked a splendid name just the same. And he does hang out with some mighty fine fellows. You’ve done a good thing here by keeping your head up (take that, firetruck guy) and marching forward. Better luck with your (thrilling) Thursday.

• amb says:

It really wasn’t 😦 But Thursday is looking more thrilling as someone brought me a box of chocolates today πŸ™‚ Now I’ll be powering through the rest of the week on sugar!! Whoohoo!!!! Thanks bunches as always, Liz

Good one! This is one of those names that makes BoFN great.

• amb says:

It is a pretty fantastic name, right ?!?! I was surprised one of the boys hadn’t covered it already! Particularly Arto – as he’s a movie buff and this name appears to be a completely random collection of consonants and vowels, it seems to be smack dab in the middle of his wheelhouse. Luckily for me, he hadn’t gotten to it yet! πŸ˜‰

8. Pingback: Lemon Andersen | The Blog of Funny Names