Una Stubbs

Good morning! Can I get you something? Tea? Crumpets? Bangers and mash?

As you may have guessed from today’s breakfast menu (or perhaps from the sound of a million fangirls spontaneously combusting over the internet) Season Three of the British miniseries “Sherlock” made its North American debut last week.

And I’m not just mentioning that so I have a reason to post pictures of Benedict Cumberbatch.

benedict cumberbatch looking lovely and british

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

I’m sorry, what were we talking about?

Oh, right. Now I remember.

Oh, right.

No, I bring it up because although Benedict gets the lion’s share of the attention, there is, in fact, another “Sherlock” cast member who is worthy of funny-name-inspired fame herself. I’d like to take this morning to introduce you all to the lovely and talented Una Stubbs.

Because the Brits take their funny names very seriously (Seriously. Who else do you know who would coin the delightfully unappetizing phrase ‘bangers and mash’ to describe breakfast?!?) my showbiz sources found no shortage of material for this post. But since Dave gives us a word limit around here, and since, quite frankly, I’d rather use up my extra white space with more pictures of the future Mr. amb, we’ll skip straight to the highlights.

Sherlock and Molly

The hair ruffle. Do you SEE the hair ruffle?!?

Sorry, can’t help it.

Anway, Ms. Stubbs was born in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, and grew up in Hinckley, Leicestershire. As if growing up in a place called Hinckley didn’t make her family amazing enough, Una’s great grandfather was author and early urban planner Sir Ebenezer Howard, who helped design Welwyn Garden City, and Letchworth Garden City. I like to think that design included city name selection, because I’d like to say ‘Welwyn’ one more time in this post.

Young Una got her start modelling for the cover of a Rowantree MacIntosh chocolate box (as if I didn’t have enough reason to be jealous of her already) and went on to appear in a number of long running British tv series. My favourite of these roles is obviously Aunt Sally in “Worzel Gummidge” and “Worzel Gummidge Down Under”, because Worzel, but Mrs. Moody, Gilly Pigeon, and Miss Bat aren’t too shabby either. (In other news, I am clearly living on the wrong continent).

Since 2010 Una has become a recognizable face – and name! – here in North America thanks to her recurring role as my love’s – I mean, as Sherlock’s – housekeeper, Mrs. Hudson.

Now, one more piece of showbiz gossip for you before I get back to the important business of figuring out the best way to embroider “Cumberbatch” on all my linens:

Una is close friends with fellow funny named actress Wanda Ventham, also known as my future mother in law. Yes, my friends, this means that while she’s now playing a second mother to him on tv, Una has actually known Benedict Cumberbatch since he was about 4 years old. If I don’t see you in two weeks for my next post, it’s because I’ve exploded into fangirl goo.

love amb

About amb

Would rather spend time in TV land than Corporate World. Writes at wordsbecomesuperfluous.com and wishes she was more like Ingrid Bergman.
This entry was posted in funny names in tv and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Una Stubbs

So that’s who Benedict Cumberbatch is.

Up until now the name hadn’t registered to me as anything but an in-joke amongst the big kids at BoFN, where I laugh and pretend to get it so’s I can try to be as cool as everyone else.

I give you a word *guideline*, my dear 🙂

Good Benedict gallery. The “hair ruffle” is a move that I’m scared to even try because I could never pull it off that weird. And frankly I think it’d seem weird if it was done by someone other than Benedict.

2 of those paragraphs were a veritable treasure trove of funny names. Do you believe me now that funny names are EVERYWHERE, Diddy?!? 🙂

• amb says:

Every time you call me “my dear” I feel like I’m getting in trouble. So formal!

The infamous “hair ruffle” is part of a scene that’s literally fan fiction brought to life. Moffat and Gatiss truly understand their audience 🙂

You’re supposed to treasure everything I write. (But yes, Diddy darling, funny names are indeed everywhere. See Moffat and Gatiss above).

• amb says:

Also, I should point out that he’s ruffling his hair to remove the bits of broken glass he got covered in when he rappelled down the side of the building and broke through the window like the superhero he is. That plot point’s not included in the GIF though, because all we fangirls care about is THE HAIR RUFFLE.

I like this little thing we’ve developed where I say nice things to you and you tell me how to say them even better 😉 It keeps me on my toes!

• wdydfae says:

I believe! Help thou my unbelief!

3. marksackler says:

I love Sherlock. It’s a shame the season will essentially be over almost before it starts with only three episodes per season.

• amb says:

Me too! I love that each episode is an hour and a half … I just wish there were more of them! I haven’t watched episode 2 yet – I think I’ll wait till I’m back from vacation and then marathon 2 and 3 together. Three whole hours of Sherlockian goodness! 😀

excellent coverage, dear amb. (not to be confused with Dave’s “my dear, amb”) But please do not explode into fangirl goo. I saw that once on a Dr. Who episode (though it wasn’t about fans so much as it was folks turning into goo) and it wasn’t pretty and didn’t end well.

Thumbs-up on your continued coverage of Funny Names in Entertainment 🙂 (which is an anagram for FINE–woohoo!)

• amb says:

Thanks Liz! You didn’t think I was a tad, umm, biased in my presentation? 😉

I love that our Doctor Who discussions are taking over these comment threads now too. This makes me all kinds of happy! And I remember that goo, and rest assured I will be staying far, far away from it. Blegh.

I have never noticed that anagram before, and am so pleased you pointed it out! Good for my ego, lol. Not to mention it makes a very handy FNITN correspondent name/innuendo all in one! Which seems appropriate for me on several levels 😉

i-notta stubs, u-na stubs! just wanted to say that, it’s my kindergarten playground taunt version of her name. ps – bc was my highlight of ‘august:osage.’ and one more thing – i thing that ‘bangers ‘n mash’ sounds like a sex game.

• amb says:

Oh honey, I would play that game with Benedict anytime.

Sorry, I know you made other points there, but that one was obviously the most important and had to be addressed first. 😉 Anyway – kindergarden taunts are always welcome around here, and you’ll have to tell me what you thought of August, I haven’t seen it yet but am so curious!

• ksbeth says:

i love how you tied my comments all in to one, with all paths leading back to bc, of course. okay then, it’s ‘bangers ‘n benedict’ for you.

as for ‘august,’ it is very well acted and very traumatizing and bc will absolutely break your heart in this.

• amb says:

Well, shoot, now I’m completely excited for and completely terrified of this movie all at the same time! Will be sure to stock up on kleenex if/when I watch.

And, ok, “bangers ‘n benedict” made me laugh. A lot. And it is so definitely my new favourite game. And when I play there is so definitely going to be maple syrup involved. And … too distracted to continue. Which is probably for the best, since I already scandalize the Carlson boys enough around here 😉

6. Pingback: Under the Covers with Shawn Colvin | words become superfluous

I just had bangers and mash the other day! Although, strangely, I had it for dinner. Everything’s backwards in America. According to Brits. Don’t get ’em started on the damn tea.

Una Stubbs, of Hickley, great granddaughter of Ebenezer, costars with Cumberbatch, close friends with Wanda Ventham, modeled for Rowantree McIntosh, played Worzel, Gilly and Bat. Yep, funny name credentials check out.

• amb says:

I’m still thinking non-PG-rated thoughts about bangers and mash, thanks to my earlier conversation with Beth, so I’m just going to leave this comment alone 😉

I’m glad you approve of Una’s funny name credentials! She’s quite an impressive lady.

8. Pingback: Iggy Azalea: would Amethyst Amelia Kelly by any other name sound as sweet? | The Blog of Funny Names

Nice hair ruffle.

10. Savion says:

I’m not easily imrsseped but you’ve done it with that posting.