Willie Harcourt-Cooze and Chocolate for Everyone!*

Do you guys like chocolate? Yeah? Thought you might. Just checkin’. I like chocolate.

I also like greatly named chocolate entrepreneurs, which by default makes me a huge fan of a certain Willie Harcourt-Cooze.  You see, Willie is a London- born man with a true passion for chocolate. The product of a Burmese father and an Irish mother, you could have guessed he would have some globe-trotting in his future.

Willie Harcourt-Coozy and a very wonky chocolate machine.

Willie Harcourt-Cooze and a very wonky chocolate machine.

Sure enough, on a honeymoon trip to Venezuela, Willie was talking to a beach umbrella salesman, who for some reason directed him to a lovely piece of land in the neighborhood. He instantly fell in love with the place there and eventually made it his own, turning 1000 acres into a full fledged cacao farm. Since 1998 Willie has been making 100% cacao bars from trees in the property.

The beans are packed up in Venezuela and sent to Willie’s Wonky Chocolate Factory in the town of Uffculme in southwest England. There they are roasted, winnowed, ground, refined, conched, tempered and wrapped, some of which are activities I have heard of before. But hey, the important part is, at the end of this, we all get to eat a delectable chocolate bar. Sorry, a Delectable® chocolate bar.

Delectable, by Calvin Kl...Willie Harcourt-Cooze.

Delectable, by Calvin Kl…Willie Harcourt-Cooze.

Mr. Harcourt-Cooze’s journey has been such a fascinating one, it’s even been documented in pun-tastic reality TV shows such as Willie’s Chocolate Revolution : Raising the Bar. And that’s A-OK with us. Thanks for the chocolate, Willie!

PS. *there’s no chocolate for everyone. Sorry.

About Arto

Co-founder of the Funny Names Blog, Hawaiian shirt enthusiast, and holder of a funny name himself with too many vowels for any sensible person. Currently residing in San Diego, California, scouring through obscure documents on a hunt for more funny names. www.funnynamesblog.wordpress.com

9 Responses to Willie Harcourt-Cooze and Chocolate for Everyone!*

This definitely made me want to try some of that Willie’s chocolate.

It would be nice to make a dream happen like that!

I’m going to search for this guy’s story on the ‘Toobs.

how wonderful it would be to cozy up with cooze and share a bite or two of chocolate )

When I think Willie, I think Nelson, but this may change all that. Willie Harcourt-Cooze looks better and probably smells better. Who on earth wouldn’t want dark chocolate with smooth fruity notes? Especially if it’s been winnowed and conched?

• Arto says:

I’m sure Willie Nelson would have some very special chocolates as well. Harcourt-Cooze indubitably smells better, so if you’re meeting up in person for fruity conched chocolate he should certainly be your man. For any other purpose, I’d probably go with Nelson.

Did you just post a food post, Arto? (ok, you didn’t JUST post it–I’m late, I know) Not sure if I should be happy or threatened 😉 Thinking I’ll go with happy because there’s enough food newz for everyone. Didn’t know of this guy and would love to try his wares. Cool story and cool name. You, go Arto. (sorry, no one had done that yet and felt it was my duty as a fellow food blogger)

• Arto says:

I hope there’s enough food names out there for everyone! I did think about it, but couldn’t resist a name like Willie’s. And let’s face it, chocolate is for everyone. Thanks for stopping by, let me know how the choco is if you ever find it!