Crescent Dragonwagon, etc: The Summer Slide Edition

Another month, another Funny Names in Food post. Though this round has caught me even more unaware than usual. (And I can get caught plenty unaware.) Even my own blog is being sorely neglected what with summer travels and the kiddos being home from school. So instead of taking time to research a funny culinary name and craft a riveting and interesting and can’t-stop-reading-it post (bahahahahaha), I’ll subject you to offer you a peek into the Funny Names in Food archives.

If you’ve been here before, this is a chance to see how well you’ve been paying attention. If you haven’t, click on a name or subject that interests you for your funny names post of the day.

One of my favorite pieces of this Funny Names blogging community is the chance to learn about an incredibly wide variety of subjects. Here’s your chance to pick up all sorts of never-know-when-you-might-need-it food trivia. It’s as simple as matching the funny name to its claim to fame. Go forth and be brilliant 😀

a) Gesine Bullock-Pradogesine 1) fast-food barbecue mavens
b) Cornelius Swartwout 2) prolific food writer and the first official FNiF post
c) Pierce Egan 3) credited with inventing the waffle iron
d) Crescent Dragonwagon 4) Hollywood exec turned pastry queen
e) O.D. and Ellsworth McKee 5) banana guyChiquita!
f) Captain Lorenzo Dow Baker 6) bourbon distiller
g) Ruth Hanly Booe 7) snack cake folks
h) Frank, Georgia, and Herren Hickingbotham 8) molecular gastronomist
i) Mo Rocca  9) fancy-pants chocolate maker
j) Frank Epperson 10) TCBY frozen yogurt chain
k) Travis, Roland, Cullen, and T.D. Dickey 11) bourbon ball belle
l) Pappy Van Winkle 12) on-air food journalist
m) Bob Born and Roscoe E Rodda 13) milk chocolate man
n) Hervé This 14) eggnog innovatordoes it tie in? not really. but how cute is this?
o) Alex Doumak 15) popsicle inventor
p) Domenico “Domingo” Ghirardelli, Sr., 16) revolutionized marshmallow manufacture
q) Milton Hershey 17) Peeps marshmallow candy peeps

Seal_LLC (2)

About Liz

Owner of deLizious Food Communications. Projects include recipe development, editing, and formatting; food writing and editing; nutrition analysis; public speaking and cooking instruction. Past and present clients: General Mills, Green Giant Fresh, Hormel, Minnesota Beef Council, Minnesota Soybean, Minnesota Pork Producers, Norwood Promotional Products, Pillsbury, Tad Ware, and Weight Watchers Publishing. Mother of two young girls.
This entry was posted in funny names in food and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Crescent Dragonwagon, etc: The Summer Slide Edition

oh, i love the game, liz. thanks for this, and i’m afraid i didn’t do too well. it should be a jeopardy category. funny names and what they are known for.

2. What a great idea. I remembered more than I expected, but who could forget Crescent Dragonwagon? Or that she linked the post to her FB page.

Well played, Liz!

Crescent Dragonwagon is unforgettable!!

• Liz says:

Thanks, Fannie. I’m digging deep, can you tell? Totally out of fresh ideas! (and time) WWFD? (What Would Fannie Do)

• I received a new cookbook recently and I’m a cover-to-cover gal. I love it when I read the names of the staff involved in editing the books. Sometimes I find real gems like Guy Rockford, Stephen Hussar and Carl Tremblay. Amy Klee gives me glee, she’s also the design director of the cookbook. The senior production manager is Jessica Lindheimer Quirk. She may not be famous, but I love her name! And I’ll leave you with this one: Lauren Pettapiece–Senior Color and Imaging Specialist.

You just never know where it will lead. 🙂

That’s a marvelous collection of names, and an equally strong list of titles. Fancy-pants chocolate maker, Banana guy and eggnog innovator are my favorites on that list of descriptors. I’m hungry now.

Alright, let me have a go at this, from memory:

a4 “Gesine Bullock Prado: Pastry Queen and so much more”
    b3 “Cornelius Swartwout’s Wafflemania!”
    c – you missed c! Unless it’s some clever trick I’m not getting.
    d “Pierce Egan” … I’m struggling with this one
    e2 “Crescent Dragonwagon: Dragon with a Wagon, but not a full moon!”
    f5 “Captain Lorenzo Dow Baker Knew There’s Always More Money In The Banana Stand”
    g11 ‘Ruth Hanly Booe: Mother of the Bourbon Ball”
    h7 The Hickingbothams – I’m guessing based on the plural “Folks” in the description that it’s them
    i12 “Mo Rocca” who tweeted about us!!!
    j15 Frank Epperson, inventor of the Eppsicle!
    k1 Who could forget the Dickey fast food barbecue mavens?!
    l11 “Pappy Van Winkle” mmmm…. bourbon!
    m17 “Bob Born son of Sam Born…” the peeps peeps!
    n16? Herve This was the molecular gastronomy guy… does that mean he revolutionized marshmallow manufacture. Still such a weird idea to me!
    o10 Alex Doumak… struggling with this one, but maybe he’s the TCBY guy by process of elimination
    p9 Ghirardelli = fancy pants chocolate guy
    q13 Hershey = milk chocolate man!

How did I do? Not too shabby for a guy who barely knows how to operate a microwave 🙂 🙂

• Liz says:

Dave, Dave, Dave. What I’m saying here is that I’m busy darnit and don’t have time to correct your work so this here is a self-correcting quiz. Click and check. Got it?

bahahaha, never mind the cheeky. I don’t really talk back like that. and lol, you’re right–I messed up on the lettering. Made a change, planned to circle back, but then forgot. Ooops my bad. Will fix that now. It appears you’ve been listening very well. Glad you’re here. Hope all is well on your end.

That post went from snippy to sweet in no time! 🙂 You Minnesotans are funny!

I’m pretty pleased with my performance. This was a fun post – good job throwing something together during a busy stretch!

• Liz says:

Dave! (threw in an ambism with that exclamation point. someone has to pick up her slack, haha) You have pegged Minnesota Nice. We go from snippy to sweet in no time 😉 lol, never looked at it like that before but that’s exactly what we do. Funny Minnesotans. But we’re still awesome and amazing.

Thinking I’ll be throwing a lot of things together this summer. You’re heading into a busy stretch yourself, yes?

Reblogged this on food for fun and commented:

Recapping funny culinary names @ Blog of Funny Names. There will be a test 😉

6. LFFL says:

That was pretty cool, Liz.

I’m so sorry I’ve been out and missed a whole mess of BoFN. Splendid post, Liz! I like that quiz roundup a lot, though I don’t have time to take it right now . . .

• Liz says:

thanks, diddy. Actually playing the game is optional–my true motive is to give old posts more play. But mostly it was because I didn’t have time or energy to come up with anything new. These posting duties sneak up on a person.

Well, I’d say

a4 “Gesine Bullock Prado”
    b3 “Cornelius Swartwout”
    c – you missed c!
    d “Pierce Egan” … Not sure
    e2 “Crescent Dragonwagon”
    f5 “Captain Lorenzo Dow Baker”
    g11 ‘Ruth Hanly Booe”
    h7 The Hickingbothams
    i12 “Mo Rocca”
    j15 Frank Epperson
    k1 Dickey fast food barbecue mavens
    l11 “Pappy Van Winkle”
    m17 “Bob Born son of Sam Born…”
    n16? Herve
    o10 Alex Douma
    p9 Ghirardelli = fancy pants chocolate guy
    q13 Hershey = milk chocolate man!

What?

No, of course I didn’t copy and paste Dave’s answers!

I’m really offended that you would think I’d do something like that.

If I don’t get A’s, I am a failure, so I could not even attemp this. Except I DO remember the Hickingbothams!!

• Liz says:

ah yes, the Hickingbothams the Hickingbothams. Who could forget the Hickingbothams?

You’ll always be straight-A here in the blogosphere 🙂

10. Pingback: going to the dark side and the tour | food for fun