Funny Names in the News Returns with vol. 88 : Meanwhile in Sweden…

Hey funny names fans! I’m a week late here thanks to a scheduling related confusion and generally not knowing which day of the week is Friday, but better late than never, eh? True for most things, except for getting hit with a falling piano. I’d prefer never on that one.

We begin our weekly funny names news coverage with sad news. Former Vancouver Canucks hockey team tough guy Gino Odjick has been diagnosed with a rare terminal disease and expects to not have much more time left on this earth. Very sad news as the always positive Odjick is only 43.ย  In a great gesture, hundreds of Canucks fans gathered outside Vancouver General Hospital to chant his name upon hearing the news.

In further sad news, actor Meschach Taylor, most famous for the sitcom Designing Women, has died at the age of 67. The news was relayed by his agent Dede Binder, who at least has a delightful name to cheer us up a bit.

Moving on to more positive topics, and a guy named Pigmy Kokietgym! Yes, Pigmy! Kokietgym! He’s a boxer, which explains the “gym” in “Kokietgym”, and recently fought against No. 1-rated strawweight Hekkie Budler, whose name is just funny enough that it may even edge out Pigmy for funniest strawweight fighter.

The strawweight category always makes me think of strawberries. Those are delicious. What’s with the name though, there’s nothing so strawy about them, is there?

Important questions.

Thanks to our Pigmy vs. Hekkie correspondent Dave.

Meanwhile in Sweden, a man born with a very short name, Alexander Ek, has come to a logical decision in his life and changed his name to what may be the world’s longest. It contains 63 words and is hopefully the only name in the world containing a reference to a North Korean dictator and the words “Gilgamesh” and “Arse Hole”. The name in full reads as follows (deep breath here) :ย Kim-Jong Sexy Glorious Beast Divine Dick Father Lovely Iron Man Even Unique Poh Un Winn Charlie Ghora Khaos Mehan Hansa Kimmy Humbero Uno Master Over Dance Shake Bouti Bepop Rocksteady Shredder Kung Ulf Road House Gilgamesh Flap Guy Theo Arse Hole Im Yoda Funky Boy Slam Duck Chuck Jorma Jukka Pekka Ryan Super Air Ooy Rusell Salvador Alfons Molgan Akta Papa Long Nameh Ek.

I’ll grant him extra points for the meta inclusion of “Long Nameh” near the end. We wish him well in his future employment searches. Many thanks to Leslie Jo Chase for spotting that one.

In more sports news, our friend Michelle spotted this list of the best soccer player nicknames. The standout from the list is a classic, the former Oldham Athletic player “One Size” Fitz Hall. Some of that famous English wit right there.

Aaaaand that’ll just about do it for this week’s coverage. Tune back in next week with more funny name related shenanigans!

About Arto

Co-founder of the Funny Names Blog, Hawaiian shirt enthusiast, and holder of a funny name himself with too many vowels for any sensible person. Currently residing in San Diego, California, scouring through obscure documents on a hunt for more funny names. www.funnynamesblog.wordpress.com

15 Responses to Funny Names in the News Returns with vol. 88 : Meanwhile in Sweden…

pigmy and hekkie – aren’t they winnie the pooh characters?

Up to the monstrously good standards of FNitN! Thanks for the deep breath advice on the Ek amendments. I got through reading that in one breath, but just barely.

Well, you started with an appetizer of sad and ended with a dessert of crazy. So he just up and got rid of Alexander altogether? While 63 is my favorite number, it is much too many names for one person, especially for Alexander Ick, which is what I will call him from now on. I am quite sure he must be icky to have chosen those names. Is there really such a thing as a strawweight? Is it composed entirely of scarecrows?

• Arto says:

I always connected strawweight to the flimsy plastic ones you drink through. Perhaps scarecrows are a more logical source. Mr Ek, well, I think his actions speak much louder than my words ever could.

Haha, I wasn’t even aware I’d told you about the strawweight division, since I rarely talk about them, but I assume you must have heard about it through me!

The Strawweight division, also known as the minimumweight or mini flyweight division, is the smallest division in boxing – it’s usually for tiny little Asian and Latino guys, since the weight limit is 105 pounds. It’s a lot more popular in Asian countries, and somewhat popular in Mexico, but doesn’t get much coverage here because there are very few American strawweights. We’re much more keen on the welterweights, middleweights and heavyweights.

so a few things here, Arto. You mention strawberries, but then leave us hanging. No, muddled berries in cocktails? No cobblers? Pies? Muffins? Scones? Even just a bowl of whipped cream served alongside would’ve been nice. But then again, this is not Blog of Food, is it. I keep forgetting.

But what I really wanted to say (besides hey, good to see you again! enjoyed your post ๐Ÿ™‚ ) was that the obvious next step is to change YOUR name (or we could make Dave do it) to include 64 words. I’d suggest Kerbey, but she has enough on her plate. You and Dave are the obvious choices. Or Diddy. He’s yet to tell his real name, so no harm in changing it. I can help with the list of names, if you’d like.

I know Diddy’s real name (*muahahahaha!*) but I agree 64 words would be a huge improvement from what his name is!

• Arto says:

Well, as we were hanging, Leslie here prepared some nice homemade strawberry jam, so we had a thematically appropriate weekend at least! Thanks for stopping by, even without any food follow through ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Pingback: Extra! Extra! Special Edition! World Cup Winners in Funny Names! | The Blog of Funny Names