Bear Grylls

Yes, this is a person. Who is on tv. How did I not know about this ?!?

In my initial notes for this post, the aforementioned sentence contained a lot more, shall we say, enthusiastic, punctuation marks at the end of it. You guys! I still can’t believe this has happened!! I found a television show that I’ve never heard of !!!

Let’s just all take a moment and let that sentence sink in, shall we? I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling a bit like the ground has fallen away from my feet and I’m barely hanging on, here.

zac efron ropeburn

Ok. You know what? Maybe the situation isn’t really so bad. Maybe we just need to look at it from another angle.

zac2

Ahh, perspective. There’s nothing like it.

Those are shots from a brand new adventure series called “Running Wild with Bear Grylls” that airs Monday nights on NBC. Now, intrepid pop culture reporter that I am, I could stop here and tell you a number of things. I could give you a rundown of the show’s funny name credentials (renowned survivalist Bear Grylls takes celebrities such as Zac Efron and Channing Tatum on extreme wilderness excusions) or of Bear’s (he grew up in Donaghadee in County Down, Northern Ireland), for instance.

Wild creatures, those mustangs

Wild creatures, those mustangs

Or we could dig deeper and I could tell you about the controversy surrounding certain episodes of his previous show, “Man vs. Wild” … like the time Bear claimed he was stranded on a deserted island in Hawaii and actually spent the night in a motel. … or like the time that, ahem, wild mustang he lassoed in the Sierra Nevada turned out to be a pony from a petting zoo.

But really, all of the journalistic details that you need to know are right there in that first sentence: Monday nights on NBC. Because then you’ll know to set the DVR on your televisions, and you’ll never again have to worry about missing something like this:

I love television.

love amb

About amb

Would rather spend time in TV land than Corporate World. Writes at wordsbecomesuperfluous.com and wishes she was more like Ingrid Bergman.
This entry was posted in funny names in tv and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Bear Grylls

1. Ah, Bear. Did you also know he drinks a fair amount of wee and yak blood, sleeps in camel carcasses and eats raw hearts? I think I’d want to kip in a hotel after that!

• amb says:

Normally I’m all about the hard-hitting investigative reporting (thanks, Wikipedia!) but I must confess that this time, I stopped reading as soon as I saw the phrase, using a bird guano/water enema for hydration. Because eeeeuuurggguah. There is not a hotel in the world that would help me recover from that !!!

Thanks for visiting Mollie!

2. PigLove says:

Squeal! I’ve been watching this new show for a couple of weeks now. They even had Ben Stiller on one episode. I like Running with Bear a LOT better than Man vs. Wild. Awesome! XOXO – Bacon

• amb says:

I missed the Ben Stiller episode! Will have to track that one down. I haven’t seen Man vs. Wild, but based on the blood/carcass/bird guano shenanigans described above, I think that’s probably a good thing. Again with the eeeeuuurggguah.

XOXO back at ya, Bacon!

• PigLove says:

The new show is pretty interesting probably because it’s not “ALL” about Bear – snorts. And really, who names their kid Bear – growl oink? Oh, right. Who names their kid Bacon – snorts.
        The Ben Stiller episode was my least favorite of them so far. Which was a real bummer because I like Stiller. Next week it’s Tom Arnold. Should be fun. XOXO – Bacon

• amb says:

Tom Arnold manning up in the wilderness?!? The mind boggles.

• PigLove says:

Snorts – mine too. And in the preview, he looks really thin. REALLY thin. How will he survive in the woods eating bugs? Even I, a mere little piggy, wouldn’t survive in the woods with Bear. I think he would start looking at me funny after a couple of days. You think? That should be a good show Monday night for sure. XOXO – Bacon

3. I can’t get over how cute the baby mustang is. I had to go back and read the rest of the post a second time. You know–the whole shiny object thing . . . . 😉

Love that you found Bear, my husband was addicted to Man vs Wild in our old TV viewing days. I can’t possibly tell him about this one, unless it can be viewed online.

All the episodes have been great, especially with Zac Efron. If I were 15 yrs younger…I also was forced to watch “Man vs Wild” with the husband in years past, so I have seen him do many things worse than drink his own pee. Let us not forget his children: Jesse, Huckleberry, and Marmaduke. He must have eaten bad mushrooms when he named them.

yes, it was preordained that bear would do an outdoor survival show i think. i became interested when i saw channing on a promo ad. and now – on to dating naked, (vh1).

Absolutely! We have a name for that, it’s “nominative determinism” – someone’s name influences their personality and vocation!

I saw the title “Dating Naked” and had to watch. I lasted about 4 mins. What a silly show!

• ksbeth says:

ooh, thanks for the term, now i can use that when explaining this type of thing to someone. i’m a huge fan or words and phrases. as for naked dating, i could make an off color reply about your 4 minute endurance, but i won’t, and just agree that it is one of the stupidest shows i’ve ever seen, but had to stop by and rubberneck the show like an accident scene. )

• amb says:

Oh, honey, he lasted a lot longer than four minutes when he was with me. In Florida. Having … dinner. Not that I’d make that legendary encounter into an off colour reply, or anything. Make innuendos about Dave? Who, me?

• amb says:

Yes, Channing has the power to make me interested in things I never thought I’d want. Like, um. Going camping. Yes. That’s it. Camping. Sorry Beth – what were we talking about, again ?!? 😉

Wow, Bear and Channing dancing on a mountaintop!!! I think this show might be something I’ll actually need to watch an episode or two of. Seems entertaining!

it’s also not pretty little liars or Switched at Birth or Eureka. Good to unearth new treasures 🙂 Looks like you set off quite the discussion. For the gazillionth time, I wish we could have these chats live.

Good to see you. Been waiting for you on facebook 😉 How’d those pickles turn out?