Tahmoh Penikett and the cast of “Dollhouse”

Hello, kittens! I’ve missed you!

I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to visit. I took a hiatus from blogging – a blogatus? – this summer, and then, just as I was feeling refreshed and my creative batteries were feeling recharged  … a ginormous bunch of stuff happened all at once.

“Ginormous bunch”, in case you’re wondering, is in fact the scientific term for the precise number of events that need to converge on amb’s universe simultaneously for her to stay away from WordPress for a while. And while I missed being here with you, kittens, I have to say: some of those events were pretty spectacular. I got to spend lots of time with friends and family! One of my best friends got married !!!

And I went to Fan Expo !!!

Clearly, I have my priorities in order.

The short explanation is that Fan Expo is the Canadian version of Comic-Con. The long explanation is that Fan Expo is four amazing non-stop days where I got to hang out with  some of the most passionate, witty and creative people I’ve ever met. Oh, and my Imaginary Boyfriends were there, too.

Yes, I got to see Matt Smith. Yes, I got to see Nathan Fillion. And yes, that sound you heard over the internet just now was my little geek heart exploding.

There's a reason my Captain is here, I swear. We'll get to it.

There’s a reason my Captain is in today’s post, I swear. We’ll get to it. I just need a second.

Thanks to my time with Nathan (we’re totally on a first name basis now) I have fallen all the way down the Joss Whedon rabbit hole. And let me tell you, it is a good place to be. True, Joss doesn’t hire Nathan to be in every one of his projects, but if Nathan’s not there, he makes up for it by giving me a television cast made up of names like this:

Eliza Dushku
Fran Kranz
Tahmoh Penikett
Enver Gjokaj
Dichen Lachman
Miracle Laurie
Amy Acker

Hi everyone!

Hi everyone!

I promise I didn’t fall asleep on my keyboard; those glorious collections of letters really are together in the same opening credits sequence of a real television show. Oh, and did I mention that the show is a set in a terrifying future that engages a sense of existential unease and post-modern paranoia in its viewers?!?  And we all know how I feel about that kind of television.

Dollhouse credits

See? Twisty!

“Dollhouse” isn’t for everyone – it’s dark and twisty and doesn’t exactly paint humanity in a warm and cozy light. But all of those amazing names belong to amazingly talented actors, so if you’re in the mood for some science fiction that explores the boundaries of how far human

Tamoh Penikett

Or we could just talk about Tahmoh.

morals can be pushed in the name of progress, then head over to Netflix and I’ll meet you there! I’ll bring the popcorn and the socio-political analysis.

love amb

About amb

Would rather spend time in TV land than Corporate World. Writes at wordsbecomesuperfluous.com and wishes she was more like Ingrid Bergman.
This entry was posted in funny names in tv and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Tahmoh Penikett and the cast of “Dollhouse”

so good to see you back and all refreshed, amb. sounds like you had a great time while away, and i once dated an italian man who i called miracle, because i couldn’t understand when he told me his name was ‘mirco,’ and finally he told me one day after about a month that i had been calling him the wrong name the whole time. we did not marry and thank god, because imagine having to also having to learn his last name correctly!

• amb says:

Teeheehee. Miracle, Micro … you can’t blame a girl for mixing the two (especially if she’s looking into a pair of dreamy Italian eyes at the time 😉 ) It’s so good to see you Beth!

Hi, Amb!

Fran Kranz is like what Franz Kafka would look like if the name turned into a giant bug.

3. Amb!!!!! I have never been so happy to see someone on here! Omg, so jealous you saw Nathan Fillion and Matt Smith!!! Smith was at Chicago Comic Con, but OF COURSE this was the one year I couldn’t go.

Wait, hold on, have you NOT fallen down the Whedon rabbit hole before this?! Please tell me you have watched Buffy. You have to have!

I have to admit, Dollhouse never really grabbed me. I should give it another go, though.

• amb says:

Hi Liz !!! *extremely enthusiastic wave* You are the SWEETEST! I’m sorry I haven’t been around in so long, but if it helps, I thought of you every time I made chocolate mug cake over the past couple of months!

Oh, my time with the boys was EPIC. Epic, I tell you! Arthur Darvill was there too!!

I’m sorry I scared you – I’ve watched Buffy! I loved it!! All is right with the universe !!! 🙂 BUT before Fan Expo, I had never seen Firefly or Serenity, and now … well, now my life will never be the same!

• I actually had the same Firefly experience. I learned about it after my first con (C2E2!) and then finally hunkered down and watched it. Of course, I loved it to bits!

• amb says:

I KNEW YOU’D UNDERSTAND.

Nathan got really emotional when he was talking about the show, which I thought was adorable, but I didn’t quite get it. (I also didn’t get why there were so many people wearing those hats Nathan seemed to like so much). Then when I finally had a chance to watch it couple of weeks ago … *deep breath* I got it.

I WILL LOATHE THE FOX NETWORK FOREVER FOR TAKING CAPTAIN MAL AWAY FROM NATHAN. And from me!!!

• There are some delightful nods to the show in Castle. He dresses as Captain Mal for Halloween in one episode AND Adam Baldwin is in another.

• amb says:

He talked about that! Someone asked him to name one of his favourite parts of filming Castle so far, and he said “I asked my friend Adam to come over and he did”. 🙂

• I’m responding to this because I don’t know of another way to reach you – but did you see that The Mortal Instruments is being turned into a TV series?! LOVE!!!!!! I am so freaking excited!

Nathan is smoldering, and I can feel the heat from here. I can’t watch unhappy shows; real life is too scary for me, especially with that new Dallas ebola case just a few hundred miles from home. I love your style of writing. What I don’t get is why someone named her baby Miracle. Yes, every baby is a miracle. Every baby is a baby, but you don’t name them Baby unless they’re going to be dirty dancing in the Catskills in the 50s. And “Tahmoh”? Prettty certain Michael Jackson yelled that term out randomly during a majority of his songs.

• amb says:

I don’t blame you – real life scares the heck out of me! But scary shows have the advantage of the mute button and red wine consumption, both of which help me tremendously when things get a little tense. I haven’t figured out how to transfer these advantages to real life without getting glared at (and possibly arrested) but I’m working on it! 🙂

And for the record, I love your style of writing. This: And “Tahmoh”? Prettty certain Michael Jackson yelled that term out randomly during a majority of his songs.” made me laugh out loud at my desk. A lot.

Yay! Amb returns! It’s sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good to have you back!!!!!!!!

I’ve heard of Eliza Dushku before, but that’s the only one. My favorite name on that list is Gjokaj! How the heck do you pronounce that?!?

• amb says:

Why thank you! It’s good to return to BoFN in general and to bantering with you in particular. 🙂

Both Eliza and Amy have been in multiple Joss Whedon shows (along with Nathan). Dude likes to work with his friends, which I love. My favourite thing about him in the whole world (aside from his ability to write complex, multifaceted, and completely kickass female characters!) is that his idea of taking a break from directing one of the most successful superhero movies of all time involves inviting said friends over … to film Shakespeare in his backyard.

***GIANT ENTHUSIASTIC WAVE WHILE BOUNCING UP AND DOWN***

Hey Amb! Amb! Over here! Hey!

Oh darn, can’t get her attention now that Nathan “Captain Handsome” Fillian is in the room. Oh well, I’ll just come back later. After I get the Captain to sign my butt cheeks, of course.

Oh, here we are again at the blog. Hooray! Great post, Amb! That is a fantastic collection of names you’ve scribbled down in your absence. Love it.

Dichen Lachman is the exact sound that comes out of every drunk Glaswegians mouth after a few adult beverages. That’s what they were talking about the whole time! The Whedonverse. Mystery solved!

• amb says:

Arto, I will love your wit always and appreciate your one liners forever, but Captain Handsome will always have my heart. That’s just the way it is.

(Hi! Thanks for stopping by. Missed you bunches).

ah ha, the prodigal daughter returns 😉 Glad you’ve had so many good things going on. Hope the CW stuff is better. And hope to hear from you soon, Word Girl, because I misses you.

p.s. Still plugging through the doctors with Clare–fun to rewatch. Only up to Martha so she’s yet to meet Matt. Which is something you can’t say for yourself!

8. AAAAAAAAAMMMMMMBBBBBB! Welcome back. I’m so glad you got to met Nathan Fillion and find out about Firefly, one of my all time favorite SciFi programs. I was crushed when they cancelled it.

9. amac says:

I just put Dollhouse in my Netflix cue. You always have good eye candy in your posts. Cheers