Greg Bear

Greg Bear. Photo by Geoffrey A. Landis

Greg Bear wrote a book, more than one. (Photo by Geoffrey A. Landis)

Polish up your geek glasses people, I’ve just spent a month driving close to 9,000 miles with my husband and we’re rolling it into high gear.

Fortunately for me, jocks need nerds and my husband understands my need to geek. He helped me check off an item on the bucket list—jumping over the continental divide . . . feel free to join me. And 5, 6, 7, 8: East, west, east, west. (Shades of lumbago, I needed the exercise after being in the car that long.)

In 2013, we ended the BoFN year with Gary Gygax, founder of Gen Con, the gaming convention. Now Halloween approaches, and costumes will be in full force, let’s segue to our latest installment of geekitude: Author, artist and founding member of Comic-Con San Diego—Greg Bear. Not to be confused with black bears, which I saw plenty of during my trip.

See what I mean?

See what I mean?

Greg shared the same home town as our esteemed colleagues, Dave and Arto—San Diego, California. Is it something in the water or the sunshine down in San Diego?

Somewhere in the late 1960’s a group of high school friend, including but not limited to Greg Bear, Shel Dorf, Ken Krueger and Richard Alf founded San Diego Comic-Con.

Greg and his friends were Ray Bradbury groupies. They followed him to every one of his local author readings. They followed that by hanging out at his home when they were teenagers. They followed that with Ray mentoring them.

Ray became one of their first guest speaker when the event kicked-off (not the dying kind) from August 1st through 3rd, 1970 in the U.S. Grant Hotel. The event hosted 300 attendees in the basement. Now Comic-Con hosts in excess of 130,000 yearly at the San Diego Convention Center plus additional venues.

Back to Mr. Bear, his dad joined the navy, so they moved a lot: Japan, the Philippines, Alaska, and various other parts of the United States. While living in Alaska in 1961, Greg completed his first short story at the age of ten.

Later he attended San Diego State University receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree. While there, he was a teaching assistant to Elizabeth Chater in her course on science fiction writing. Shades of foreshadowing . . .

His art work appeared on the cover of his books. He and his wife, Astrid Anderson Bear (daughter of Sci Fi author, Poul Anderson)—founding members of ASFA, the Association of Science Fiction Artists. He no longer produces commercial artwork, directing his attention to writing full time.

He’s completed over 44 science fiction novels, multiple short stories, consults for Microsoft, Google and other software companies, and, in addition, numerous governmental agencies . He even appeared as himself in the Sunday funnies in the comic Funky Winkerbean.

On September 23rd, he suffered a major heart attack at his home outside Seattle, Washington, He underwent emergency valve replacement surgery. We want to wish him a speedy recovery.

Tracy — Fannie Cranium’s Guide to Irreverent Wisdom

About Fannie Cranium

Writing since she could first hold a pen, Tracy Perkins formed her alter ego, "Fannie Cranium" at the suggestion of her husband. Tracy understands smiling makes people wonder what she’s been up to.
This entry was posted in funny names in science, humor, humour and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Greg Bear

how cool that he’s had a chance to live the life doing something he’s always loved –

Hi Fanny! I’ve enjoyed Greg Bear SF a lot. If I remember, he wrote Moving Mars and The Uplift Wars, both of which were good reads. Now I’ll go and check that and see if that’s right or if I embarrassed myself. Glad you had/are having a good trip!

3. I did not know this backstory to SDCC! So cool!! Definitely keeping Greg Bear in my thoughts and prayers!

He wrote 44 novels? I think I’ve read two sci-fi novels about 30 yrs ago. None of this is in my wheelhouse, so it’s all new to me. Even black bears! The TV show “Extra” did a story last night on how many of the women in costumes at Comic-Con get their parts groped by excited patrons. They followed Wonder Woman around for an hour, and some people had odd requests for photo ops…

• Sci-Fi is not for everyone. I don’t suppose there are a lot of black bears roaming around in Texas. You probably see more scorpions.

I can just imagine what it must be like for the women in costume at Comic-Con. One of my girlfriends made mead before she got married. She invited me to join her at a Renaissance Fair to help sell her product. We were located between the beer garden (my term not theirs) and the pickle stall. Would you believe the Pickle Girl was outselling the alcohol vendors? A bonny, buxom lass in a German barmaid dress, for an extra dollar the men could pluck the pickle with their teeth from her decolletage.

• kerbey says:

Shut. Up. Could they really? So many puns must have been made. I rather enjoy beer gardens myself, preferring them to pickles and bonny lasses. I guess she liked the tips? Oh, dear–that’s nearly a pun in itself. I mean the money. What if she got bit? Or a man wore dentures and lost it in her cleavage? I feel a story coming on…

All these tales of pickles, decolletages and science fiction are just delightful.

So is the name Astrid Anderson Bear. Just rolls off so nicely. Greg Bear. Good symmetry with those four letter names.

Great post again, Fannie!

6. Reblogged this on Fannie Cranium's and commented:

This month’s contribution to the Blog of Funny Names. Author, Greg Bear.

As soon as I saw the name, I thought “That’s a Fannie name!” and it was!! 🙂

once again, my horizons have been expanded here at BoFN. Though it seems plain at first, Greg Bear is an awesomely funny name. Grrrrrrrrrrreg Bear? Greg Grizzly Bear? Sounds like a lovely and fun man. Wishing him well in his recovery, yes. Way too much excitement at those sci fi events I’m sure.

And so glad you had a great road trip!

I thought it was going to be Arto and Dave bringing the puns to bear this time, but it turned out be Liz, or as I like to call her, grrrrLIZly.

That was Oso funny! Diddy, Ursa(ch) a clever guy! I wish I could frame that comment to make it a Kod(i)ak moment, if you will! We thought our puns might be Polar-izing, and that there might be trouble Bruin if we used too many puns, so we stepped aside and let GrLizly take over. She clawed her way to the top. Not going to Pooh-pooh that development!

(Sorry, I know these puns can be overBearing at times!)

10. Pingback: tinapang bangus, with or without lumpia | The Blog of Funny Names