Doctoring Coats and Chock-Based Conjecture in Funny Names in the News Vol. 94

Happy Monday everyone! I trust everyone’s weekend was chock full of excitement, fun times, relaxation and dill pickles (for those that enjoy those). Chock full. What’s a chock anyway? Send us your musings on chocks when you have a chance!

But before we get all stuck on the curvatures of etymology (also coincidentally the title of my first rap album from 2001), let’s take a look at some of the great names in the news this week!

If you like football, you probably already saw the swell one-handed catch that Odell Beckham jr.  scored some points for his team with. If you didn’t and would like to, click here. If you did, and don’t care to again, no need. If you don’t want to see it, whether you already have or not, there is no obligation for you to watch it. No purchase necessary. Offer void in Quebec. Try the veal.

In further sports news, D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Jaiquawn Jarrett both played as the New York Jets lost for the 11th time this season, this time to the pillagin’ Minnesota Vikings. Goes to show you that just having amazingly named athletes on your side isn’t enough sometimes.

Wally Lamb, adopting his friendliest pose.

Wally Lamb, adopting his friendliest pose.

Moving on to TV, where Lifetime this week premiered their film adaptation of Wally Lamb‘s bestseller She’s Come Undone, set at St. Aloysius Gonzaga Catholic School. The all-funny-name cast includes Molly RingwaldMeat LoafBlanche Baker, and Conchata Ferrell. A wonderful casting job there.

Also on TV, a show called Justified. I’ve never seen it, but it’s already flowing onto its sixth season and the word is good. Starring Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins, it’s set in the Appalachian mountains and based on Elmore Leonard books, so it’s sure to be interesting.

And it stars Walton Goggins, which is like the greatest name ever.

We end our coverage with our traditional peek into lady doctor garb. Pittsburgh doctor Dr. Leslie Latterman has designed a doctor’s coat that fits women better and is more comfortable to do doctoring in. Her friend Dr. Ariella Reinherz is also mentioned in the article as a big fan of the new design. Way to go, doctors!

About Arto

Co-founder of the Funny Names Blog, Hawaiian shirt enthusiast, and holder of a funny name himself with too many vowels for any sensible person. Currently residing in San Diego, California, scouring through obscure documents on a hunt for more funny names. www.funnynamesblog.wordpress.com

20 Responses to Doctoring Coats and Chock-Based Conjecture in Funny Names in the News Vol. 94

I know there’s a coffee called Chock Full O’ Nuts, which could also be the title of this blog. I guess you can’t be chock empty? My first thought of Walton Goggins is that he could not be leading man material with a name like Smucker’s it has to be good (sorry, need more coffee). What I mean is with a name like that. So I googled him and was not let down. He is in no way fit to be leading man. And D’Brickashaw Ferguson is just not right. It’s just not right. It goes against all that is right. People are not aware of what the D’ stand for, are they? It means “of.” Like Ponce de Leon was of the Leon. And Beverly D’Angelo is of the Angelo. But no one not nobody not no how is of the Brickashaw. But did you know this? His mother Rhunette (yes, that explains part of it) said it comes from the character of the priest in the novel, The Thornbirds: Father Ralph de Bricassart. WHAT WHAT WHAT?? How is Brickashaw related to Bricassart? It’s more related to a rickshaw. (grinding teeth now…)

• Arto says:

I did not know this origin story of D’Brickashaw’s name. It confuses me slightly, but that can happen with very good names. I have to admire your utter and complete rejection of the name.

Perhaps D’Brickashaw and Walton Goggins could team up for some sort buddy comedy. I think we would all enjoy that. Maybe make it about Ponce de Leon.

• kerbey says:

They were wrong when they sang that what the world needs now is love, sweet love. Forget that. What the world needs now is this buddy comedy of which you speak. I do believe a 70 yr buffer zone has passed, so it’s just about time to bring it back. If Timberlake can bring sexy back, surely Da Brick Shawl and Walter Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins Groggins can do a sequel to “Road to Morocco.”

2. FNITN Monday. Yeah!

After the coffee, which Kerbey already mentioned so eloquently above, the wheel chock comes to mind. No one wants their wheels rolling off without them. Clearly a wheel chock, like a superhero, will save the day. 😉

Loved the post.

• markbialczak says:

I, too, thought of the wheel chock, Fannie, but I thought the chock was what you placed on the other wheels while changing a flat so the car did slip down off the jack and come crashing down upon your skull.

Because, Kerbey, you know what would happen if the car came crashing down upon your skull? You’d be two D’Brickashaw’s short of a load thereafter, of course.

Oh, Arto, what great names you have served us for TV. Molly Ringwald and Meat Loaf in one movie? Better red in ‘Sixteen Candles’ than dead in ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show, ‘ huh?

• Arto says:

“Better red in ‘Sixteen Candles’ than dead in ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show, ‘ huh?” Couldn’t have said it better myself! Haha, those two need to do a musical together, since we’re planning hypothetical movies today.

• Arto says:

Next week on Oprah, wheel chocks for everyone!

Magnificent stuff, Arto! Your musings keep upping the ante!

That Odell Beckham catch is insane. What incredible athletic abilities! I am not worthy!!

Yeah, I was definitely getting that rap vibe. Yeah. Ga BOOM BOOM thwack. Go BOOM BOOM chicky chicky. Skipa dah dune DONE ga bunka chacka THWACKAH.

But before we get all stuck on the curvatures of etymology,
    chock full as it is of funny names and the phreaky phonology,
    I gotta ask, what is the mudshark of your mythology?
    And how does it hold up as the basis of your epistemology?
    Or does it go all the way up, to psychology and ontology?
    Tell Dave I’m gonna need some anesthetic with my crainiotomy . . .

So many names, Arto, and pulled from so many places. You are da man. looks as if my esteemed colleagues have put in their good word re: chock. Was happy to see Molly Ringwald mentioned. She has a lovely website should you be interested: http://www.iammollyringwald.com/

FYI: I checked and iamarto.com is parked, but not live. You could hunt down the owner and pay double. ??

• Arto says:

I think our website needs an “inklings” section. You’re right, that’s a lovely ol’ web page she has there.

Gracias por da nice comment!

7. Pingback: Goodbye Stephen Colbert & Munchma Quchi, and Hello Brandybuck Cumberbund! It’s Funny Names in the News 95! | The Blog of Funny Names