M. Night Shyamalan, A Follow-up

Welcome to the first Funny Name’s post of 2015!

*Fannie blows on a noise maker.*

Feel free to help yourself to some confetti. (Don’t worry, Dave, I brought the shop vac.)

Now I suppose we should talk about today’s subject. Arto covered him in October for a spooky Halloween special here. And it’s what inspired today’s post.

You know him as an actor or writer or director or producer.

How about we dive in and solve a minor league mystery? What does the M. stand for?

Manoj.

Wouldn’t it have been fun if his parent’s would have named him Mid?

Best known for his work on The Sixth Sense.

I see dead people. It would surprise me if you haven’t repeated that line at least once.

Some parents want their children to follow their footsteps. Night’s doctor father was no
Exception. Gifting him a Super-8 camera in his youth, Night, the storyteller,
Excelled at movie making. His mother encouraged him to follow his passion.

During his student days at NYU he made his first film. A drama, “Praying with Anger.”
Earning his stripes, he wrote and directed his next film, “Wide Awake”, featuring
Actors Joseph Cross, Dana Delany, Robert Loggia, Julia Stiles, Camryn Manheim, and
Denis Leary. The film earned Night a Young Artist Award nomination.

Perhaps you enjoyed some of his other films, like “Unbreakable” or “Signs” or “After
Earth”. Plot twists and cameo appearances included. If you’ve ever watched any
Of his movies on DVD, you may have noticed his childhood home movies included as
Part of the special features. The only movie not to include one of these is the film
Lady in the Water. He did not feel any of his early works lead to this film. The story
Evolved from a fairy tale he made up for his children.

I see dead people.

Do you suppose that’s what ran through Young Frankenstein’s mind when he decided to reanimate one?

Or as one of my neighbor’s young children once told me, “He re-organdized him.” Works for me. 🙂

Now for the fun part, where we geek. If you haven’t wasted time playing on Night’s website, try walking through the scary mansion and finding the access to each room and the “easter eggs” planted within them.

I see dead people.

Sorry. It’s in your brain. You’ll be repeating it all day. It’s beats looking outside at the winter doldrums.

You’re welcome.  😉

Tracy – Fannie Cranium’s Guide to Irreverent Wisdom

About Fannie Cranium

Writing since she could first hold a pen, Tracy Perkins formed her alter ego, "Fannie Cranium" at the suggestion of her husband. Tracy understands smiling makes people wonder what she’s been up to.
This entry was posted in funny names in movies, humor, humour and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to M. Night Shyamalan, A Follow-up

Sorry. It’s in your brain. You’ll be repeating it all day.

This can be fixed.

I see dead people.
    I see de ad people.
    I seeded a people.
    I seeded ape pole
    Eel pie eased pod.
    Ed? Is ‘e Ed? Ape lope?
    See? I peed a dope!
    I peel sea Poe, Dad!

OK, I’m getting tired. But in principle, I could go on.

Fannie, you have certainly raised the acronymic bar on this old blog. :0 Night is an even more curious middle name than Manoj is a first. Oh, it sounds like Niki Minaj, now that I say that. BTW, Indian people do have a thing for J names. We just ate Indian food at Teji’s, so I now know everything there is to know about Indians because I ate naan and curry. Sometimes when I am singing on stage at church, I look out at the audience and say those words to myself. “I see dead people.” And then I clap harder to wake them up (before they go-go).

Now, having visited the dark and evil site that allows one to maneuver up old staircases into sinister regions, I have an overwhelming urge to throw open the windows and let the light in! In fact, I dare say M’s dark sense of movie-making led to him just make up “Night” in his name. You know, like teens who pretend they are witches because their parents don’t hug them enough, and then they wear black. So I am going to suggest he change it to M. LIGHT Shyamalan instead. And then he can update his website as needed.

• Thank you for making me laugh so hard I snorted tea onto my monitor. I haven’t don it in quite some time. It was lonely.

I love that eating naan and curry has given you a full understanding of the Indian culture. I got there eating the pappadam.

And the fact that you can sing, and sing in public without getting rotten vegetables thrown at you is fantastic. If I were to join you on stage, using my vocal skils, no amount of my clapping could wake up the parishioners. And then I would see dead people. 🙂

I knew I should have mentioned this in the post. Night made up his middle name in college. It stuck.

I didn’t see a suggestion box on his website, but I’m sure he will read our comments and take changing his name in to consideration.

• kerbey says:

Snorting tea has not prevented you from an insanely quick response. That Typing I class in 7th grade really paid off, Fannie. I have not heard of this damn pappa of which you speak. I must try it. Does it come with lentils?

• Yes, after learning to type on a manual typewriter, A-S-D-F-J-K-L-;, it was all down hill from there.

The pappadam is made from lentils. So the answer is yes. It’s a crispy flat bread, sometimes a little spicy. You might like it.

3. Reblogged this on Fannie Cranium's and commented:

Ever said, “I see dead people?” You might after reading this month’s contribution to the Blog of Funny Names.

Re-organdized him! That’s priceless.

You’ve reanimated a spooky Halloween post in the most impressive manner, Fannie! Manoj, Night, Denis Leary, so much eeriness in one post…

5. markbialczak says:

I was wondering if his parents swiped his first name from the de Twaa family that lived down the block, Fannie.

ah, you’ve solved the mystery for me at last! loved the movie, had no idea about the twist and loved this post –

oh my gosh–I love how you did this post, Tracy! Clever clever clever. You’ve raised the clever bar, oh my. Now we’ll all have to do some sort of word play or poem or linguistic puzzle or such. But you did it smashingly well and I learned a lot while having fun. Which I believe we call edutaining here at BoFN. Woot woot for Fannie! And also for Night, though I like Kerbey’s suggestion re: Light. Yes to that.

• Wow, Liz, thank you. I didn’t realize I raised any bar. Just enjoyed the word play for this post.

Linguistic puzzles sound like fun. Have to keep that in the back of my mind for next month. 🙂

8. reocochran says:

I am a big fan of his movies, such depth and character development. The mysteries are sometimes more spiritual and psychological than scary and horrific. I like when a movie makes one think! Great post and you were good at summing up the movies in sentences like mini-blurbs!