Funny Names in the News Vol. 96! Now with Excellence in Sound Editing!

Hello hello, and welcome to the very first Funny Names in the News of 2015!

I think it’s the first, I haven’t quite been paying attention. I’ll probably still be writing 2014 in the date fields of most forms for the next six months. Some of take a moment to adjust to these things.

On to the “news”! Our intrepid wedding reporter Dave uncovered this article from Buzzfeed describing how Shelby Swink‘s fiancee got cold feet and canceled their wedding, and she did something awesome. She decided to go ahead with the wedding photo shoot, but only with herself in the pictures trashing the wedding dress with her friends. Pretty fun looking pictures, considering the unfortunate circumstances. Thanks, Wedding Dave!

In fact, all of today’s articles are uncovered by Intrepid Dave. He tells us that little league starlet Mo’ne Ikea Davis was named AP’s female athlete of the year. Presumably the male athlete of the year was Ha-Ha Clinton Dix. One can hope.

A tip of the hat to Academy Award nominated actor Benedict Cumberbatch...uh, from himself.

The rapper Ludacris has married his long term girlfriend Eudoxie Mbouguiengue after a long-term two week engagement. Our congratulations to the happy couple.

Congratulations also are in order for ageless boxer Bernard “The Alien” Hopkins, who turned 50 yesterday! Well, actually I suppose that means he’s not really ageless. His age is 50. But you catch my drift.

This year’s Oscar nominations were announced today. Among all the reading of names in the announcement ceremony was the delightful mistake where Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs accidentally referred to cinematographer Dick Pope as “Dick Poop”. Mr. Pope’s response : “I’ve been called a lot worse.” And presumably in less happy circumstances, he was after all nominated for an Oscar today.

Other well named nominees include our very own Benedict Cumberbatch – yes, the Blog of Funny Names is now claiming ownership for the massively popular actor – editor Barney Pilling of the Grand Budapest Hotel, and the delightfully repetitive composer Jóhann Jóhannson.

Our favorite film in the Animated Short Film category is definitely The Dam Keeper, mostly because it is directed by Robert Kondo and Dice Tsutsumi. As usual, the popular audience is mostly tuned into the Sound Editing category, where many of the best names reside. This year, these include American Sniper‘s Bud AsmanBirdman‘s Aaron Glasscock, and The Hobbit‘s Brent Burge. Good luck to all of the above.

Happy Weekend all, that about wraps it up.

About Arto

Co-founder of the Funny Names Blog, Hawaiian shirt enthusiast, and holder of a funny name himself with too many vowels for any sensible person. Currently residing in San Diego, California, scouring through obscure documents on a hunt for more funny names. www.funnynamesblog.wordpress.com

17 Responses to Funny Names in the News Vol. 96! Now with Excellence in Sound Editing!

1. Rio says:

I am so glad you have taken ownership of the actor Benedict Cumberbatch. I think it’s time to narrow his fan base to a point where I might actually get to have a conversation with him.

2. I had to tell my dad Benedict Cumberbatch’s name about five times, and he still doesn’t get it! lol Also, did you know his fans call themselves “Cumberbitches”?? I’d be a fan just to be called that!

Haha, it’s so good… it’s like his name’s sole purpose is to belong in this blog. When we talk to our friends about this blog, so often they ask “Have you covered Benedict Cumberbatch?” I’d like to be a Cumberbitch too. Maybe I am?!?!

Also, as a food blogger, you might appreciate the existence of Cumbercupcakes! You know you’ve made it as an actor when people are naming confections after you! https://funnynamesblog.com/2013/09/27/fnitn-55-draft/

• Arto says:

I think all of us here probably need to be called Cumberbitches at this point. He’s all over the place! What a name it is.

• markbialczak says:

If he puts a stinker or two under his belt, will they change their name to the “Cumbersomes,” do you think, Liz?

I saw a cartoon yesterday of a pregnant woman getting an ultrasound, and on the screen was Benedict’s face, and the ultrasound tech said, “Don’t worry; he’s in everything these days.” Or some such comment.

I propose there be a “white flag” category for names like Eudoxie Mbouguiengue. That is to say, names that my lips begin to conquer, but by the midway point, throw up the flag of surrender and give up. Brent Burge, on the other hand, is easy to say. It’s like an exercise in lip puffing.

Now this one: Dice Tsutsumi. Dice in Spanish means, “He said.” So quickly reading that, it looks like, “He said tsunami.” Why? Why did he say tsunami? I don’t get it.

Once I get the pronunciation down, I think names like Eudoxie Mbouguiengue and Dice Tsutsumi are going to be super fun to say. Actually, that’s a giant “if”…. IF I get the pronunciation down!

• Arto says:

He said tsunami, she said tsunami, all that matters is that there’s a tsunami, right? Wait, is there?

I’m frankly not surprised at Benny turning up at strange women’s ultrasounds. He seems to be doing quite well. I might vote for him for president next year. Of Algeria.

Such goodness! I love waking up to FNITN!

I think I’ll refer to Dick Pope as “Dick Poop” from now until forever. Not that I refer to Dick Pope much.

Cheryl Boone Isaacs is kind of a funny name in its own right.

It’s fun when you write about movies because it’s one of the trivia categories where you know a TON more than me (the others are soccer and hockey and…???? probably a lot more). One of these days, the funny names are going to get me hooked, and I’ll start to learn a lot more about Hollywoodland!

• Arto says:

Poor Dick Poop. Well, maybe not. It’s probably his choice to go by “Dick”. At least he got his name out there today! He also shot Bernie, which you should watch, because it’s a great piece of Texacana (Americana but Texas? Sure) and a wonderful accent movie.

And I had forgotten about that Shelby Swink story. So awesome! What a Supah Lady!!! (Said in Mike Yamagita voice!)

Nice one, I’ve been missing the FNitNs.

Or I should say rather,

“. . . Arto serves up a spectacular launch for a new year of funny namedness, and brings to an end a too long lacuna of funny name news coverage . . .”

Very cool wedding dress story, but the cynic I try to keep hidden is saying that the wedding photographer did what he could to keep that project on the calendar. Bad me for even thinking that. For real though, she’s an amazing lady that Ms. Swink and absolutely an inspiration.

You’re a busy guy, Arto. Thanks for carrying the Fri-Mon load. Hope you had a fantastico weekend between posts. Oh, and maybe you’d like to know that my oldest and I did a half-blocks worth of prancersice on our jog this morning. Busted a gut laughing, so couldn’t keep it up too long. No kidding that those moves get the heart rate up.