A Name for the Ages: Oliphant Chuckerbutty

“Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.”–Winston Churchill

In the beginning, there was Outerbridge Horsey.  And Outerbridge Horsey begat Outerbridge Horsey, Jr., who begat Outerbridge Horsey III, who begat Outerbridge Horsey IV and so on through Outerbridge Horsey VII, who still lives today.   And collectively, The Horseys begat the blog of Funny Names which became the bible of funny names.

Now, unto us a king is given.  Behold a new dawn and a New Testament of funny names.

I give you, Oliphant Chuckerbutty.  Or in full, Soorjo Alexander William Langobard Oliphant Chuckerbutty.   (note: he apparently also was known at times as Wilson Oliphant, but why he would ever go by anything other than Oliphant Chuckerbutty is beyond me.).

No, not that Oliphant.

No, not that Oliphant.

The esteemed Mr. Chuckerbutty (1884-1960) was a church and cinema organist, as well as composer of organ music.  He was best known for, well, not much other than an awesome name.  He did write a brief treatise for young aspiring cinema organists and a single one of his compositions has survived in the classical organist repertory.   Unfortunately for his legacy, there has been no call for cinema organists since the invention of talkies in the late 1920’s.  And here’s an interesting puzzle:  if the World Wide Web has only existed since the 1980’s,  how is it that his ancient document entitled To be or not to be–A Cinema Organist is available on line (here)?  Would anyone in his right mind actually publish this relic today?  No.  Aliens definitely walk among us; they built the internet hundreds of years ago and hid it from us until this exposee on The Blog of Funny Names.

There’s not much else to tell about Mr. Chuckerbutty.  His grandfather was a journalist named William Oliphant–which might lead one to speculate that he was a relative of the political cartoonist Pat Oliphant.   It might; I have no idea.  Or maybe he was the inspiration for Tolkien’s oliphants.  I suspect that would actually be the organist in  the You Tube video below.

More of my silliness can always be found in The Millennium Conjectures.  Through the alien miracle of the internet, you don’t have to endure me in person.

Signature

About Mark Sackler

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it."-Alan Kay; let's invent a better future, together.
This entry was posted in funny names in music and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to A Name for the Ages: Oliphant Chuckerbutty

this is one of my all time favorite names. bravo.

2. marksackler says:

This one is up there, all right. Thank you!

Soorjo? Langoboard? I don’t see how any other name will ever compete with this. The pic of him online, adjusting his bow tie makes him look like the Cowardly Lion out of make-up. Not that that makes any sense. BTW, listening to this video makes me so glad we use drums and electric guitar in our church. Just hearing that organ start in makes me think, “How long until lunch?” And that link for his document is in that dreadful old-school format. It almost makes me think websites should get license and registration yearly, so as to phase out old ones like this. It has lovely innuendo-laced lines like “Can he revolutionize all his preconceived notions about organ technique?” That sounds more 50 Shades of Sad Housewives than music. Don’t be surprised if someone makes a joke about the man playing the organ being a Chuckerbutty. It sounds so close to Nutter Butter. I’m so glad I don’t have peanut allergies.

4. Rio says:

Reblogged this on Seriously Clowning Around and commented:
    Soorjo Alexander William Langobard Oliphant Chuckerbutty is a name for all ages!

5. Good find, Mark! It may take a few days for my tongue to recover after trying to say his full name out loud.

Just wow. Where did you find this guy, El Marko?

Yes! Yes! Yes! You’re making me feel like the lady in the Herbal Essences commercials! Yes! Ohhh, yes!

This name is so fantastic, I don’t know what to say! It is sooooooooo amazing!!!!

8. marksackler says:

We may need to rename the entertainment/music Horsey award, the Oliphant Chuckerbutty Award. 😀

9. marksackler says:

And by the way, how do you like that Winston Churchill quote?

I always love a great Churchill quote! Among my favorite quotes ever: “We are all worms, but I do believe I am a glow-worm.” – Winston Churchill

I have to confess, though, I didn’t know exactly what an organ grinder was until I googled “Organ grinder monkey.” It all makes sense to me now!

Oliphant Chuckerbutty. With a middle name of Langobard. You can tell they were just trying to get their kid on the Blog of Funny Names with this one. And what a great success!

This is one of those names you have to do a double take for, and then another. Is that a triple take? Whatever it is, it’s an impressive moniker. I would vote for this person for anything.

11. markbialczak says:

Boom shaka laka. Ride Sally Ride. Ah, different kind of organ playing. But still. Nice naming rights for this one, Mark. Not a pipe dream.

Wow, I’m a Lou Reed fan but hadn’t heard Ride Sally Ride before. Thanks for cluing me into that!

• markbialczak says:

It’s a line from Sly and the Family Stone’s classic song “Dance to the Music. “I’d like you to play on my organ, she said Ride, sally ride.” Come on Diddy, help me out here. This is all from my (faulty) memory …