A breaking news update that has just reached BoFN Headquarters! Canadians are “Spocking” their $5 bills by drawing Leonard Nimoy‘s facial features over those of Wilfrid Laurier!Spocking bills

This is magnificent! Perhaps inspired by yesterday’s touching tribute to the pointy-eared one, there have been widespread reports of the polite-minded folks up north doing this.

Initially, these folks were buoyed by an announcement by the Canadian government that “Spocking” $5 bills was not illegal. Woohoo!Spocking 2

The trend has caught on so much that now the Bank of Canada has told Trekkies cool your jets!, please, and let’s stop doing this as much, please, because it’s a symbol of our country and national pride! (Most likely adding a very polite “sorry” at the end) Apparently drawing Spock on your bills also shortens the time that the bill is in circulation. But it’s still pretty awesome!

Fun fact: The BOFN’s Dave is a descendant of Canadian Prime Minister John A MacDonald… whose face is featured on the $10 bill, but doesn’t look Spocky enough.

You go, Canada!

Update: 3PM PST

They’re even doing it on the old-school 5’s, which were phased out years ago!

vintage spocking

About Dave

Based out of San Diego, California. Co-founder of the Blog of Funny Names. funnynamesblog.wordpress.com

15 Responses to Canadians are “Spocking” $5 Bills, drawing Leonard Nimoy’s Face over Wilfrid Laurier’s

crazy stuff reported here–thanks for keeping us up on current Canadian events, Dave! Just saw Spock on a billboard with the Vulcan hand signal thing and the only copy was “He Did.” What could he have been advertising? Very spocky, all of this.

Well, well, you have PM blood in your veins, old boy? Who knew? I saw this money yesterday and forwarded it to my trekkie sister in law, who declared it “epic.” Very creative for an allegedly well-mannered people, defacing public property in the name of a dead Vulcan. The picture rather demands it, though.

It really does. But I appreciate the creativity in seeing Spock directly from a Laurier portrait. It’s a link I never made, that’s for sure!

3. Love this late breaking news.

4. Lucky Wreck says:

Wow! That first one looks remarkably similar to the actual Spock! And I loved seeing that fun fact about your famed ancestor! And, think it’s a good thing he wasn’t spooky enough! 🙂

Isn’t that cool?!? My favorite anecdote about John A. MacDonald is that he was once drunk in the house of comments, and during a debate, vomited into a trash can. His next words: “I vomit not because of drink, but because I’m forced to listen to the rantings of my honorable opponent.”

• Lucky Wreck says:

Hahaaaa!! That is awesome! I would be very proud to be a descendent of anyone with that kind of wit!

I know, I love it! Too bad the substance abuse also seems to have shown up a bit on that side of the family, but my immediate relatives are doing fine, so hopefully we got the good part of those genes! 🙂