Breaking, breaking!

America has spoken, and as part of the Women on 20’s campaign, has voted that they’d like to see Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill.

I'd gladly carry these in my wallet. Anyone who doesn't want them, feel free to give your Tubmans to me!

I’d gladly carry these in my wallet. Anyone who doesn’t want them, feel free to give your Tubmans to me! Preferably when/if they become the official currency!

How frickin’ cool would that be? I personally think it’d be awesome! Having one of the greatest abolitionists and humanitarians in American history on the $20. Fun fact: Harriet Tubman worked as a Union Spy during the Civil War! Not too shabby! She was also famous for being a conductor on the “underground railroad”, which helped bring slaves to freedom during the slavery era.

Now this comes as slightly bad news to Andrew Jackson, the less-funny-named fella who currently occupies the $20, but I think all in all, it’s a positive development.

I’m a fan of Old Hickory – he was a gritty, competitive guy, who had a scar on his face that was inflicted by the saber of a British officer. The reason he was sabered: young Jackson refused to polish the shoes of a British officer during the Revolutionary War. Another tough-guy thing he did – his opponents started calling him “Jackass”, and he liked it so much he made it his mascot, and the Donkey became the mascot of the Democratic Party.

Now that’s some serious badassery, and Jackson will always hold a special place in American history. But his presidency was hardly a stellar one – overseeing the Trail of Tears and Indian removal act – and some of his conduct was racially insensitive and less-than-humanitarian, even for the time.

In any case, Jackson stays on the bill for now, but the Women on 20’s campaign wants to do something about it. I’m all in favor of more funny-named people on currency, so let’s do it, folks!

About Dave

Based out of San Diego, California. Co-founder of the Blog of Funny Names. funnynamesblog.wordpress.com

15 Responses to Breaking: Harriet Tubman selected to possibly replace Andrew Jackson on $20 bill

1. markbialczak says:

Harriet Tubman is very popular around Syracuse, still, King Dave. She passed away in Auburn, N.Y., some 30 miles up the road from here, and the Harriet Tubman House is a famous museum to celebrate not only her life, but the establishment in these parts of the famed Underground Railroad for the freeing of slaves. I say All the Way for Harriet’s face on our Twenty.

i would love funny- named people on currency, i think it would make the world a happier place.

I say full on yes to this and also vote to bring back the $10,000 bill with Salmon P. Chase on it. That would be lovely.

Not that I’d ever see one of those.

I’d show you one, when I’m super rich!!

Can you imagine how much the $10,000 bill must have been worth back when it was in circulation. Such a bill seems unfathomable now, let alone back in the day!

• Arto says:

That’s a good point! They were last printed in 1934, which according to my thorough research would be about $177k and change in today’s money. That’s a lot to carry around. Imagine buying a doughnut with that bill, the change would kill the cashier.

4. I think it’d be great t have the Three Stooges on the $5, $10 and $20 and would probably also vote for Shemp on the $1. It would be fun and probably a worth commentary on the value of the dollar.

I don’t know; I’m a traditionalist. I don’t want to have to relearn things, like Pluto not being a planet, etc. Can’t we just make a $15 bill and put her on that? It would be just enough for one person’s lunch, drink, and tip, so you wouldn’t have to wait around for your learning-impaired waitress to shake her tailfeather and bring your credit card back to sign. Just throw a Tubman on the table and jet.

Let us also recall that her birth name was Araminta Ross. You’d want to keep those bills in Araminta Condition. Ha, I kill myself, just like in the Catskills. And Harriet also earned the nickname “Moses” after the prophet Moses who led his people to freedom. And I’m sure rappers could somehow include that in their money-centric ditties all about the Benjamins, the Tubmans, or the Moseses. Is that a word? Certainly enough $15 bills could lead you into financial freedom.

$15 bills seem scary. That’s a lot more math than most people are accustomed to. How do you make change for $6.84 from a $15 bill. Seems like a recipe for disaster. I’d rather change the face on the bill, than start changing the denominations!

• kerbey says:

I forgot how stupid people are. That said, I’d say 90% of the time, our tickets at restaurants are rung up incorrectly, and we have to do math to call them out on it, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to explain addition. “You see, you charged us $1.50 for cheese, and that’s highway robbery, so go take it off the bill, and take the soda off, since it comes with a kid’s meal, and stop screwing us around…”