Milana Vayntrub–who?

“Apparently, we love our cell phones but hate everyone else’s”-Joe Bob Briggs

Milana Vayntrub, AKA Lily Adams

Milana Vayntrub, AKA Lily Adams

Milana Aleksandrovna Vayntrub (b. March 8, 1987,  Tashkent, Uzbekistan) is an American actress whom you may not have heard of,  but you have probably seen.   She plays the somewhat smug and condescending sales person, Lily Adams, in those maddeningly ubiquitous AT&T Wireless commercials.  She’s cute as a button, but there is something about the character’s attitude that just makes you want to reach into the screen and smack her.   If you live under a rock and don’t have a TV, here is an example featuring Vayntrub with media mogul and NBA Dallas Mavericks owner, Mark Cuban.

An even better example is the one linked here, with ex-NBA player Grant Hill.  Somebody high up in AT&T marketing must be getting great seats to the NBA finals.

Anyway,  she may be a funny named actress, from a funny named place,  but her acting career is certainly more mainstream when it comes to television monikers, and Lily Adams isn’t the only example.   Her family emigrated to the U.S. from Uzbekistan when she was three years old.  By the age of five she made her professional debut in a Barbie commercial.  It seemed her parents put her up to it because they needed the money.  It’s true American success story.   And Barbie and Lily make perfect sense for somebody whose middle name is Aleksandrovna.

The rest of her acting career has been mostly in short comedy films (they still make those?) and online-only releases.  But with obvious talent, and this kind of exposure, a breakout TV or movie roll can’t be far behind.    Is there a Horsey Awards nomination in her future for funny-named entertainer of the year?   I can’t yet say, but don’t ask Lily Adams unless you’re OK with a smug response.

About Mark Sackler

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it."-Alan Kay; let's invent a better future, together.
This entry was posted in funny names in sports, funny names in tv and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Milana Vayntrub–who?

She is surely cute as a button. I don’t find her smug at all. She’s just professional. My favorite commercial is the new one with the bejeweled “Beth” unicorn sweatshirt. The little girl tries to shame her for being into bedazzling, and then she turns, humiliated, wearing a bedazzled AT&T (aka the Great Satan) logo. So really she is not smug at all. Hmph! So there. Oh, wait, that sounds smug.

I wonder how they got Lily Adams from that huge name? That’s not even a condensed version. Is there an everywoman term? Like Tom Hanks is the everyman. She could be the new girl next door. Likable for ladies bc she doesn’t have bleached tramp hair and Giada cleavage and sexy enough for guys to imagine her taking the clip out of her hair and letting it down. Vayntrub is not quite that sexy.

Am I more likely to have my man card revoked because I didn’t know what Giada cleavage meant? I had to Google it.

• kerbey says:

No, you have a life and medical school. I have way too much time to watch Food Network DAILY and be inundated by chefs and particularly, Giada Delorentis’s constant decolletage.

Does that mean your man card is revoked? Or were you never issued one? I’m so confused and have no idea how the man card works… perhaps you need to get it reissued every 10 years like a passport?

I honestly have no idea how this works. You should ask Arto about the time he gave me “+1 man points.”

• kerbey says:

I think you have to know how to use power tools (like when a bird got stuck in our wall last week and my husband had to cut a hole beneath the staircase to yank it out), how to change your own oil (but you wouldn’t dare choose to), how to change tires, do basic renovation. Then you get more points for woodworking skills, dressing deer, opening an import beer with the soft part of your forearm, making trick shots in billiards, and chest hair. 🙂

I think I can do all the mandatory things, and I’m “opening an import beer with the soft part of your forearm”, and “dressing deer” short of the optional ones. Fun fact: Arto’s wife can open beer cans with her teeth, or with just about anything really – a folded up piece of paper, for example. Darned engineers!

• kerbey says:

Shut. Up. Awesome. She is Ron Swanson.

OK, now I really must go. Talk to you later and hopefully I’ll still have my man card by then!

Alas, Kerbey, I have to go to an anatomy practical. We shall continue this discussion later!

That bedazzling ad “Hand Me Down” was fun! I don’t watch TV these days, but it’s good to know about some of the interesting ads out there.

I have to admit, that was super cute when she said “I don’t think I have any angles.” Maybe she is the next everywoman? Is Jennifer Lawrence out as the current “cool chick”?

• kerbey says:

Jen is still cool and has movie cred. Lily can be the commercial everywoman. Flo from Progressive can be the alter-woman. The alternative.

Yes, that makes sense! While you ask Arto about my +1 man points, you can also ask him about my family’s fanaticism about Flo.

i like her in those ads, and now i want a beth bedazzled unicorn sweatshirt )she kind of the girl next door with an edge )

I always give a thumbs up to bedazzling, and if it’s an Uzbeki Bedazzling, that’s just icing on the cake.

Uzbeki Bedazzling is also the name of my new band.

This is likely the first mention of Uzbekistan on this blog, and a worthy one at that. Nice find!

I wonder if it’s part of Mark Cuban’s negotiating skills to always seem like he’s looking past the person he’s talking to…

5. marksackler says:

Wait, what were we all talking about?

6. Mike says:

Milana is not only a cutie, she absolutely IS sexy. Google her name, click on images and start scrolling. If you don’t feel a stirring by 1/4 down the page you’re either blind or gay. Nothing against gay people. Just sayin’.

Also, the smugness you describe is called dry humor, and it’s on purpose. According to the ad agency much in those commercials is improvised by Milana. They describe her as “An incredible improv actress”.

And, she has in fact, appeared on TV several times; The League, Key & Peele, Californication, House of Lies, and currently in the Yahoo Screen comedy series Other Space.