So You’re Interested in Blogs with Funny Names, Right?

I come here today to write on The Blog of Funny Names about blogs with funny names.

Somebody had to do it.

Of course, the invitation always goes out to the whole World Wide Web to read every expertly crafted word, sentence, paragraph.

In reality, though, because we’re hosted on this behemoth platform WordPress, most of you who visit and comment also are attached in some way, shape or form to said MashUp. Therefore, when I mention your name I’ve deemed funny to me here on in, I’ll include the link. You’ll be pinged. I hope you’ve come by to visit with a smile and a good sense of humor. Feel free to go back in the archives to check out our past work. Click follow and enjoy our cast of writers from here on out, please and thank you. Our net is wide, and it’s all done with at most raised eyebrows but never evil intentions.

(From mattnotonwp.com)

(From matt.wp.com)

I am going to start at the top. And on WordPress, that would be the blog titled Matt Not-On-WordPress. Huh, you say? This would be the work of Matt Mullenweg. The name should be familiar to all who blog here. Think back to when you first signed up and were quite clueless to how and what and why and did I mention how? And the prompters pointed out one blogger right off the bat so you wouldn’t feel lonely? A polite person who would follow you back so you’d have a start on a circle of friends? That one-click-away blogger was Mullenweg. He’s the founder of WordPress. Which makes the name of his blog quite funny, you know? It is because so much to do with the organization goes by the name Automattic, yes, with two Ts? In any case, Matt travels around our great big world and takes a lot of nice photographs. I still follow him. When I click like on his pictures, I mean it. I’ve even left genuine comments of affection. Still when I replied to an Automattic careers-page job listing for Happiness Engineer — funny job title, that — with a resume and cover letter addressed to Matt, another Happiness Engineer sent me a polite no thank you with Automattic suggestions.

But I digress.

Have you ever had the inkling to change the look of your blog? OK, some of you may change themes as often as you change tablecloths (Kerbey) while others may put thoughts of your theme in the closet with that one old red plaid spread Aunt Maria thought looked good at the corner pizza place.

WordPress has many, many choices if the mood strikes you.

What names!

We have zeeNoble. WooDizian. SuevaFree. Those may be named for the designers, I guess.

RubberSoul for Beatles fans. Baskerville for hounds. ZeroGravity for space cadets.

Me? I’ve been tinkering with Expound for a good while now on markbialczak.com. And that I do, every dang day.

Let’s get to blog names. I know you’ve worked hard to pick yours, deliberated long hours, agonized over the perfect title to draw readers into what you’ve got to share with the world. Clever. Appropriate. Catchy.

Interesting.

I offer, from those I follow:

Everybody deserves to let off a little steam.

(From littlerant.com)

(From littlerant.com)

LR, as I’ve come to call her, decided to name her blog Lilrant. The fact that she’s 5-foot-2 and ready to opine about everything about her life in India made it a wise choice. When LR wants to be funny, she’s very. But when she takes on serious issues, she carries an edge and insight that both stand tall.

There is segment of folks floating around WordPress who like to write but have no blogs for some reason or another. (Hello, Paul Curran!)

Many of them hang out at Gibber Jabberin. That’s the finely named blog where Gibber throws up a question volunteered by her readership for a lively give-and-take of comments, a conversation of pith, if you will.

Frequent contributors are Julie No Blog, Dana No Blog and the aforementioned King of No Blogs, Paul.

(From julienoblog.com)

(From julienoblog.wordpress.com)

So List of X decided to do something about that. He started Julie No Blog Has a Blog so Julie No Blog would have a place to blog. Genius, I think. Gibber is a co-host, and she said all No Blogs are welcome to write on this new blog. List of X replied that some 7 million people don’t have blogs. Great stat, List of X! I hoped that all of them would someday blog on Julie No Blog.

So far, Paul Curran has written a terrific three-parter. There’s nothing posted by Julie, though.

Marissa Bergen started her own blog to showcase her poetry. She calls it Glorious Results of a Misspent Youth, and the sub-kick is Rock and Roll Supermom.

This is not run-of-the-mill verse, people, as this LA woman combines what she learned playing hard rock in a band with her sister while growing up in the Big Apple with knowledge gained raising kids who play in heavy metal bands now to create poems that’ll make you bang your head. OK, some can be sweet, too, because I think my friend Marissa indeed is a supermom.

(From evilsquirrelsnest.com)

(From evilsquirrelsnest.com)

On Evil Squirrel’s Nest, Bill draws a cartoon with many furry animals as his heroes and villains. He posts Saturday squirrel-of-the-week photos. So the name is quite appropriate. But the blog is much more than that.

His current Monday series rates his all-time favorite cover songs, picked with an ironic eye.

It will stretch through the summer. But that pales in comparison to the yearlong — OK, not quite, but almost — epic that chronicled his appearance a decade ago on the network game show “So You Want to Be a Millionaire.” It was a weekly classic that had me clicking in faithfully.

(From Snoozinonthesofa.com)

(From Snoozinonthesofa.com)

Scott is one hell of a dad. He proves it time and again on Snoozing on the Sofa. Hey, the tagline Fatherhood’s Finest Hour ain’t too shabby either.

Life’s quite interesting as this guy in his 40s and his lovely wife raise their three sons, from a little one to an elementary-school kid. His sense of humor never flags as he tackles their youthful enthusiasm the only ways he knows how … with pointers and plenty of support from his wise wife, that is.

You know I expect you to add links to more blogs with funny names, right?

About markbialczak

Mark Bialczak is a veteran journalist. He started his blog, markbialczak.com, in February, 2013, to write about music, entertainment, sports and life.
This entry was posted in Funny names in blogging and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to So You’re Interested in Blogs with Funny Names, Right?

1. Pingback: A blog about blogs with funny names at the Blog of Funny Names | Mark Bialczak

2. Paul says:

Well, well imagine my surprise as i was drinking my morning coffee to find my name up in lights here at Blogs with Funny Names.Thanks so much for the shout out Mark – you are a gentleman, a scholar, and a fine judge of women (Hi Karen!) oh and of cherry trees (Hi Cherry Cherry!).

3. Well thank you so much for the mention and explanations of some of these other fantastic and clever blogging names. There are so many other great blogging names out there. Reading my blogs as I rush off to work might not be a great time to start searching for their links but perhaps a revisit is called for? Back soon!

• markbialczak says:

Thank you for dropping in pre-work, clever Marissa. I love your blog name. I look forward to seeing if you can point us toward other interesting titles. πŸ™‚

• Okay, yeah, I’m back… long holiday weekend you know! Anyway, okay so two that spring to mind immediately is my dear friend Stephanie over at Once Upon Your Prime, although her blogging name is Little Miss Menopause. (Both clever I think). You must have heard me speak about her or maybe you even follow her? She’s quite popular. Funny word play and sarcasm focused on middle aged women but clever enough to amuse all audiences. http://onceuponyourprime.com/
        The next will be a fellow cynical poet named Tom Balistreri whose calls his blog From Balderdash to Epiphany. https://tombalistreri.wordpress.com/
        Er… I see know that’s not actually in the URL. Does it still count?

• markbialczak says:

They both count in my book, Marissa. I met Stephanie through your two posts about meeting her in LA, and then her post about it, too! And I followed her because of that great double-team of the blogger mash-up. πŸ™‚ I’ll have to go visit Tom now on your recommendation, also. Thanks, my friend.

4. Great list, lots of fun!

5. Gibber says:

This is a very clever idea Mark! Thank you so very much for the shout out on both blogs!! Paul “NoBlog” will have a couple more posts coming out at some point next week. If you ever feel like it, we need a rebel with a blog to blog on the NoBlog site. πŸ˜‰

6. For some reason, I really like this post. Can’t put my finger on it exactly, but there’s something about it that hits me where I live.
    I see great blog titles all the time, but like great jokes, I can never remember the ones that tickled me the most when someone asks if I’ve got one.

i can never remember the funny ones either, but am always amused each time i see them. i love the names blog about the blog names.

8. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

9. Well done, Mark! Love to see the shout out to so many great blogs. I’ll have to take a stroll later this week to check them all out!

10. NotAPunkRocker says:

How did I not realize Julie No Blog has a blog? Must have happened during my break or something πŸ™‚

I am toying with the idea of either starting a new blog or changing my blog name, not that any ideas I come up with make any more sense than the current one πŸ˜€

Mmm, these are great. I find myself wanting to snooze on the sofa, and look around for evil squirrels. Evocative stuff.

I wonder if the good doctor from last week’s academic works would be able to analyze all these blog names for some important research…

12. I’m here because markbialczak made me.
    I’m impatient and like to cut to the chase. Maybe people are turned off but they shouldn’t be. You need to watch the ticker on your taxi ride–know what I mean–and not waste time, especially mine. How does this sound:
    πŸ‘Ώ o_O πŸ˜€

Wow, this is so meta, Mark! I love it!!!! We get so many “Funny name for a blog” search queries, and yet we’ve never tackled this before! So awesome! You get my “Blogger of the Month” award for this one – although Diddy’s post last week was pretty darn awesome too!

• markbialczak says:

Thank you, King Dave. This was loads of fun. My hope is that it has a long shelf life with readers adding their own choices in the comment section to form a Funny Named Blog glossary on the Blog of Funny Names. πŸ™‚ And by the way, to be even mentioned in the same comment box as Diddy is an honor to me.

Is Matt Mullenweg the same guy from Where the Hell is Matt?

Oohh… a few more:

Nacho Donut
    (They’ve been getting some amazing searches lately!)

Malaphors
    This one’s all about spoonerisms, mixed metaphors, etc. The kind of stuff Arto loves!

The Dumb and Random Shit We’ve Overheard at Work

16. Elyse says:

Mark, this is a great idea — I love weird names, and keep a list of the funniest ones on my desktop (I once went to a luncheon meeting with a panel of lawyers – I’m not making this up — Katz, Mouse and Ratz. I nearly wet my pants but everyone else at the conference was unamused.)

So weird blog names are great. Mine is weird, but stupid. So it doesn’t count.

• markbialczak says:

That lawyer panel was awesomely configured, Elyse, the best since the fictionally famous Dewey, Cheatum and Howe. Too bad you at the annual Wet Blanket Meeting with you the only exception. Hey, your blog name isn’t stupid, just … vintage. As I recall.

Elyse, you have me intrigued! We’ve been collecting funny names of famous people (and occasionally funny city names, funny creature names, etc.) for many years now, and there are so many amazing names out there we may never get around to all of them!

• Elyse says:

I know! There are zillions! Most of mine are doctors, begun when I noticed an article on brain surgery by a Dr. Head. I was also personally operated on by Dr. Herbert Hoover. He did not predict a rapid recovery.

The list goes on and on!

There you go, thinking out of the box. What a great way to jazz up the way we do things ’round here in BoFN–with this same, non-fluctuating theme LOL. Are you sure Lilrant isn’t a rapper? Julie No Blog Has A Blog is genius–and perfect for Paul, who is the walking WordPress encyclopedia–and probably even has interesting stories to tell about encyclopedias. Can’t say I’d ever heard of Matt Mullenweg, but I guess he’s the reason we’re all friends!

• markbialczak says:

One of these months I’ll come up with one funny name again, Kerbey, and won’t you be dazed and confused! Oh, can’t be Richard Linklater, can it?

Yeah, without Matt Mullenweg, there is no us. And how sad that would be, from Lilrant to Paul Encyclopedia Brown to Julie No Blog to Scott the Snoozer to SuperMom Marissa to you and I.