Issur Danielovitch Demsky and other famous stage names

Howdy folks,

over this weekend, while taking a study break, I came across an amazing quiz about the real names of actors and actresses.

Issur Danielovitch Demsky... no seriously, that's his name!

Issur Danielovitch Demsky… no seriously, that’s his name!

Jennifer Anastassakkis isn’t too far from the name we know her by… except that last name is longer and far more letter-y.  (Hint: just stop paying attention after the first syllable of her last name).

Frances Ethel Gumm is so far from the stage name, there’s no resemblance whatsoever.

Everyone’s favorite Walker, Texas Ranger has a more Spanish-sounding first name than first realized, and there are some others that you can hope to guess…

but it’s super fun.

Issur Danielovitch Demsky… I’ll give you a huge hint… think about a famous TV captain, and and General MacArthur.

To get in on the action, try out…

this super fun “Stage Names” Sporcle quiz

About Dave

Based out of San Diego, California. Co-founder of the Blog of Funny Names. funnynamesblog.wordpress.com

20 Responses to Issur Danielovitch Demsky and other famous stage names

interesting fact: i teach a whole family with the ‘danielovitch’ name. i am always butchering it when i try to pronounce it.

2. Lucky Wreck says:

What an awesome post! Two of my favorite things…funny names, and mystery names! Loved this one! I didn’t do very well on the quiz, though… 😀

Well, this is what I spent my childhood doing, reading almanacs that gave me celebs real names. I got 16/24 on the quiz and then gave up, but I challenge anyone else to get that many (no googling allowed). Reading celeb biographies (including Kirk’s–how is he still alive?) prepared me for this post. That Ciminella one was giving me heck, but I read a Judds biography years ago and remember that Naomi told both her daughters that Ciminella was their dad, when in fact, he was only Ashley’s dad. And that’s why Wynonna has hated her mom for 25 years. J/K. Sort of. I also used to devour Judy Garland biographies, so that one was a shoo-in.

Hearing Elton John sing “Hold me closer, Anthony Iadanza” doesn’t have the ring to it that Tony Danza has. And of course, Elton isn’t real either; he’s Reginald Kenneth Dwight.

Maybe I should develop a Funny Names stage name. Hmmm????

• wdydfae says:

I couldn’t play because I wasn’t logged in (and didn’t want to join anything).

But other than that, I’m sure I would have done very well on it!

• wdydfae says:

Aw, heck! I’ll just do it here

Timothy Alan Dick Timothy Hutton
        Jennifer Anastassakis Jennifer Anniston (I got it from BoFN already)
        Benjamin Kubelsky Leonard Nimoy
        Christie Lee Hudson Kate Hudson
        Nathan Birnbaum Gene WIlder
        Lucille Fay LeSueur Lucille Ball
        Destiny Hope Cyrus Miley Cyrus
        Jacob Cohen Ethan Hawke
        Anthony Iadanza Anthony Quinn
        Issur Danielovitch Demsky Kirk Douglas (I got it from the post)
        Tara Leigh Patrick Vivian Leigh?
        Patsy Ann McClenny Dolly Parton
        Frances Ethel Gumm Debra Kerr
        Audrey Kathleen Ruston Audrey Hepburn
        John Charles Carter Johnny Depp
        Ashley Tyler Ciminella Angelica Huston
        Lee Jun-fan Bruce Lee
        Sofia Scicolone Madonna
        Demetria Gene Guynes Doris Day
        Carlos Ray Norris Chuck Norris
        Louis Upchurch Gary Cooper
        Natalie Hershlag Natalie Portman
        Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz John Stewart
        Marion Robert Morrison Marlon Brando

OK, most of these I just threw up my hands and was more or less random.

How’d I do?

4. I bow to Kerbey’s prowess for quizzes. I only new a few.

I thought you meant Chuck Norris’ real name was Frances Gumm, and got so very excited for just a moment. Oh well, it’s all good. I won’t hold it against you.

6. Rio says:

I haven’t a hope. I can’t remember anyone’s name, ever. I saw a famous person get out of a car right in front of me on the side walk and he’s someone whose music I have enjoyed and all I could think was “Alice Cooper” but I knew that was wrong. I am pretty sure it was Frank Zappa, should have been an easy name to remember right, and this was in the late ’70’s so I didn’t have senility as an excuse. So how could I even try to guess? Unless there were hints like “You know, she was the short woman in that movie, it was funny, with that guy you like…”

I didn’t even know this post was up! I just went to BoFN and saw Mark’s hockey post, and didn’t think to scroll down . . . Oh . . .

Wait! What I meant to say was

“. . . Dave takes us on a dazzling tour of the unexpected names behind the legends of stage and screen . . .”

“. . . you’re not likely to forget this revelatory romp through Hollywood’s best hidden treasures: real names! . . .”

“. . . be prepared for shock and awe as Dave revs up the engine for a triple flip through the goal post . . .”

What? Wait! Dang generator’s still stuck on sports . . . I’ll get this thing working in a minute.

8. Pingback: Lorne Greene | The Blog of Funny Names