(apologies to David and all Bowie fans)

Ziggy

Ziggy

I am the very model of a glam rock extraterrestrial
I shed my velvet scarf and coat and drop them in the vestibule
When I take off the rest you’ll find my gender is ambiguous
I gaze upon humanity and find your ways ridiculous
Like Iggy Pop, that poor old sop, who he thinks he’s so original
Just copying Jim Morrison–his brain got quite vertiginal
I won’t blame him for trying, though: he really did his best and all
But I’m the very model of a glam rock extra-tress-treeh-ahll!
**********************************************************************
We won’t blame him for trying for he really did his best and all
But you’re the very model of a glam rock extra-tress-treeh-ahll!

**********************************************************************

Iggy

Iggy

Well, yeah, you are the model of a glammy pop space alien
I’ll give you that. I wonder why this diss of yours is failing, then
You got the hair, the emo eyes, the sparkles and the glitter, yes?
So what went wrong? Do I detect a little whiff of bitterness?
Original? You even got your name from me. Sensational!
You’re nothing but a figment of D.B.’s imagination. Lol!
Just pack up all your spiders and go back to Mars right now, my friend
But yeah, you are the very model of a glammy pop space alien!
*********************************************************************
Just pack up all your spiders and go back to Mars right now, my friend
But yes you are the model of a glammy pop space alien!

**********************************************************************

Ziggy

Ziggy

Well, yes, I am the leader of arachnid Mars attacks and so
I find it very wearisome to bear such third rate hacks, you know
I launched entire genres, drew vast throngs to hear me live. And you?
You played to shabby venues and invented the crowd dive. Boo hoo!
Oh, don’t blame me for jealousy, for if you could you would be me
I’m sorry but you can’t, and so you shan’t. That’s why you rant, you see?
Give up, chap. I’m a legend, you’re a footnote, so the facts are clear
And yes, I amthe leader of arachnid Mars attacks, my dear!
*********************************************************************
Give up! Ziggy’s a legend, you’re a footnote and the facts are clear
And he’s the very leader of arachnid Mars attacks, my dear!

**********************************************************************

Iggy

Iggy

Well, yeah, you are the model of a has been, that much I can see
But now that David’s gone from us I thought you’d have some decency
Wow. I mean, are you still here? It’s over man. The curtain’s down
Aladdin’s slain. Get on the plane! The lights are out for certain, clown
But wait, that’s right, you got me pegged. You read my mind! How did you know?
I’m jealous David got to do that cute Zoolander cameo!
Don’t make me laugh. Oh look, ET! Your mother ship’s a hailing and
You really are the model of a glammy pop space alien!
*********************************************************************
Don’t make me laugh. Oh look, ET, Your mother ship’ a hailing and
You are the very model of a glammy pop space alien!

**********************************************************************

Gilbert & Sullivan Reference

19 Responses to Ziggy Stardust vs. Iggy Pop: Epic Gilbert and Sullivan Style Rap Battles (R.I.P. David Bowie)

I had been working on this for about half a year, but was letting it sit because I couldn’t get the last verse to work.

Reading about Bowie’s passing I thought, now or never. I hope it doesn’t come off as disrespectful.

I was not a giant fan but did appreciate Bowie’s talent and poetic gifts, and the Bowie phenomenon was a pretty big part of my teenage years, especially my time in England in the 70s.

2. Pingback: & RIP David Bowie & | What Do You Do for an Encore?

3. Rio says:

no disrespect at all perceived. d.b. was nothing if not an artist able to lampoon ego. I did love him.

hey, iggy is from ann arbor. we share a town and a love of music.

• wdydfae says:

Iggy’s a character! I heard him on a documentary saying he got some of his inspiration from the auto industry and the sound of a big metal presser slamming down on sheet metal.

My mind is boggled as to how you even come up with this. Amazing!

Wow I love it! Superb!!!!!

Diddy, have I told you that you remind me of The Babe

• wdydfae says:

You mean that cute little guy that was Charlotte’s friend? I’m flattered! Some pig!

I was thinking more of the babe with the power (what power?) the power of voodoo (who do) you do (do what?) remind me of the babe. But yes, you are Some Pig!

• wdydfae says:

Here I am, doing a Bowie post, and I don’t even get that reference. Had to look it up!

I also went back up there and edited the post–it was in a pretty raw, unfinished state when I first put it up.

David Bowie deserves better than this!

That’s OK. I think Labyrinth was a film that a very particular subset of people watched… I didn’t even know about it growing up.

Then I started to develop a thing for Jennifer Connelly in my undergrad years and so had to go watch it. I’m sure I’m the only guy who’s ever had that motivation, haha! It was a very enjoyable film though, and I love that “You remind me of the babe” bit.

Well, I wasn’t here all week and missed all this fantasticity.

Iggy v. Bowie, that’s a battle for the ages. Love it!

I suppose we’ve already seen Iggy vs. Waits, so this was a logical development.

• wdydfae says:

Praise from Arto is high praise indeed!

That’s a great sketch! I got a Jim Jarmusch vibe and sure enough, I looked it up and it is a Jim Jarmush production.

• Arto says:

Yep, that’s one of my favorite Jim bits. I love everything he does though. Felt it fit here!

I thought your battle was a beautiful tribute. And not just to Bowie, but Iggy as well, and heck, to the whole concept of lyrics.

Now that’s high praise.

9. Pingback: Funny Names in the News 115, With Laphroaig Scotch, Cookie Roof, Vontaze Burfict, and Ivo van Hove | The Blog of Funny Names