Sean Bean

Welcome back from your long weekend everyone, I hope you enjoyed yourselves. If you didn’t see yesterday’s FNiTN, it’s worth taking a look. I’ll wait . . . .

We started this month with my whispering rant for the Arthur Lee Samuel Consequence, which Dave graciously added to the Funny Names Theory page, and here we are for the end of month wrap up. (Pardon the noise makers, I’m still celebrating. Whoops, I got some confetti on you.)

Today’s guest is Sean Bean, the British actor who has wowed us with his characters from Alec Trevelyan in Golden Eye to Boromir in Lord of the Rings to Mitch Henderson in The Martian. Who could forget the “Project Elrond” scene? He even pulled a stint on Game of Thrones.

Photo courtesy of NASA. Now how many actors can say that?

Photo courtesy of NASA. How many actors can say that?

Born Shaun Mark Bean in Handsworth (Sheffield), West Riding of Yorkshire, England, to Rita and Brian Bean, he is better known by his stage name Sean Bean—adopting the Irish spelling of his first name. Let’s face it folks, it’s all about the spelling.

His first major roles on British television, especially Lady Chatterley, made him a British sex symbol. In 1992 he made his first memorable appearance in American film playing an Irish Republican Terrorist in Patriot Games with Harrison Ford. While filming the death scene, Ford struck Bean with a boat hook leaving him with a permanent scar. Epitomizing suffering for your work. Ouch.

Cast as a villain for many of his roles, his villains usually die a gruesome death. For one of his latest projects, Legends, where he plays an undercover FBI agent, Mr. Bean participated in the “#Don’tKillSeanBean” marketing campaign, which culminated in a spot on Will Ferrell’s Funny or Die website. I thought the piranhas were a great touch.

From horror films to outer space, he’s Bean there, done that.

On a side note, he’s got the whole Bruce Springsteen/Rick Springfield confusion factor working for him. Sean gets plenty of fan mail addressed to Mr. Bean, only it’s Rowin Atkinson’s Mr. Bean.

Tracy – Fannie Cranium’s Guide to Irreverent Wisdom

About Fannie Cranium

Writing since she could first hold a pen, Tracy Perkins formed her alter ego, "Fannie Cranium" at the suggestion of her husband. Tracy understands smiling makes people wonder what she’s been up to.
This entry was posted in funny names in music, funny names in tv and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Sean Bean

this is a bean of another sort –

2. Reblogged this on Fannie Cranium's and commented:

This month’s contribution to the Blog of Funny Names, Sean Bean.

As one who rarely sees sci-fi or violent movies, I don’t recognize this actor. In that sense, I’ve never seen Sean Bean. He is easy on the eyes, though. I would like to know where this scar is? On the face? He surely looks more rugged than the other Mr. Bean. And I bet he could beat him up, too.

• I don’t know where the scar is, but I do know he received a scar on his leg from broken glass which ended his chances as a professional soccer player. Although he did do promotional work for FIFA (the world premier soccer league organization) and was on their board for a few years.

“. . . Fannie opens new vistas in funny nameology, those too often neglected monosyllabic wonders . . .”

“. . . all of our ‘beans’ are enlightened now for having read Fannie’s latest . . .”

“. . . many of us thought Mr. Bean could only mean one thing. We were wrong . . .”

There are so many fascinating things about Sean Bean. The first one is that his name doesn’t rhyme, despite nearly identical word endings.

Bean there, done that. Maybe it’s the 14-hour shift I just did. Maybe it’s some nitrous oxide I accidentally inhaled. In any case, that made me laugh way too loud for 10:22pm in a house full of med students. I just hope my roommates are snoozing so they don’t hate me!

• I agree, the not rhyming factor plays a big role in his name.

The temptation to role out lines like the roles he plays makes Bean magic nearly filled the page, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it this time around. 🙂

I hope your roommates forgive me for making you laugh out loud that late at night. There must be a bean for that. 😉

6. fintaann says: