Dave Update

Greetings Fellow Funny Names Fans!

In 2013 Dave asked me to join his group blog, the Blog of Funny Names. He was finishing up his undergraduate degree at the time aiming toward Med School, teaching others how to prepare for the MCAT, and running our fun little blog.

Because of his special medical knowledge and his outstanding sense of humor, he helped resolve a burning, thirty-plus-year-old question—what is the name for the artificial fart under the arm? I’m sure you were wondering too. Right?

We arrived at the Palm-Axilla Fricative, P.A.F. for short because it sounds like the the noise it makes. Who knew? Clearly, it will be listed in an obscure medical journal printed on a napkin in a diner near Cincinnati, Ohio.

Now he’s in his third year of med school studying to become a neurologist, and is battling a brain tumor—the very thing he is studying to cure.

Because of the tumor, he’s lost part of his peripheral vision and can no longer drive. He’s had two surgeries removing most of the tumor and showing progress from the treatment. Despite 5-days a month of chemo, he still going to school part time to complete his medical degree.

Our fearless leader and blog co-founder. Click the photo to read the rest of his story on GoFundMe.

His sister, Vanessa, set up a GoFundMe page. The local NBC affiliate in San Diego, California, picked up the story and he is over halfway to his fund raising goal for his medical expenses.

I promised him we’d keep the fires burning here until his return.

If you can do nothing else, please include him in your thoughts and prayers.

Fannie

About Fannie Cranium

Writing since she could first hold a pen, Tracy Perkins formed her alter ego, "Fannie Cranium" at the suggestion of her husband. Tracy understands smiling makes people wonder what she’s been up to.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Dave Update

thank you so much for this update, i’ve been wondering how he’s doing in school and had no idea he was ill. he was such a good blog leader, and i’m sure, med student, and he’ll lead the way in his own recovery, i’m sure of that. i’ll be donating for sure, and i’ll do it under a funny name pseudonym, in his honor.

We’ll continue to pray for Dave and donate. Thanks, Fannie.

3. Reblogged this on Fannie Cranium's and commented:

For those of you who know Dave from the Blog of Funny Names and were wondering where he went.

Many, many prayers are with Dave.

King Dave’s been my blog hero since . . . . 2012 or something like that. Now he’s my real life hero.

My best posting efforts–for whatever they were worth–were always for BoFN, much more than for my own obscure blog. My thinking was, well, this one’s for Dave’s blog, after all–I better give it my best shot.

Dave is the man.

Love that you’re putting this up here, Fannie. Who woulda thunk it, when we all came together five or so years ago. Am glad the party is not yet over and we can still rally. There has to be something we could all do – maybe a paragraph or so each – some sort of tribute, “in honor of” thing for/to King Dave? Let’s pow-wow here or over at fb. Diddy, you do not do the fb thing, but want you in on this, too. Ideas?

6. Pingback: Sunday Offering Prayers for Dave | What Do You Do for an Encore?

7. Rio says:

So sorry to hear that Dave is going through this. I am going to recite the Heart Sutra today and think of him during my practice. When the sangha returns in September, I will ask the students to dedicate their practice to his well-being. He has made me snort on many occasions. ❤