So Dave, then. The reason we’re all here. Whether this is your first visit to The Blog of Funny Names or your 363rd, you owe this corner’s existence to one Mr. King Dave. And today’s post is the fourth in its latest series, dedicated to Dave and his amazing fight.
- Dave Carlson is an amazing young man.
- Among many other entrepreneurial ventures, Dave decided to go to medical school to study neurology.
- Dave works hard and goes far.
- Dave was diagnosed with a brain tumor last November.
- Dave is enduring lots and lots of treatment, much of it successful (yay!).
- Dave insists on returning to med school (part-time) so he can keep on keeping on with his degree.
- Dave has lots of support and is upbeat and still amazing, but it’s a tough road because he has been handed the most ironic of struggles – fighting an illness he was going to school to cure. Sheesh.
Should you want a better explained story, Dave’s sister, Vanessa, tells it well on the GoFundMe page she opened to help him pay for his crazy-a$$ medical expenses.
And there is also this coverage on San Diego television news.
My job here is to join my comrades in honoring a really cool guy who got played an awful hand in this round of his young life. Along with Fannie, Kerbey, Arto and who knows who else pops up in coming days, let’s consider why even those who have wandered from the blog world (me) have returned to raise a glass to Dave.
Back in the day, I started a food blog. As do most bloggers, I hopped around the blogosphere, checking out other folks’ places as well. And somehow I came upon Dave and his brother Rob’s and buddy Arto’s Blog of Funny Names. At some point, Dave reached out to me along with a handful of bloggers, asking us to come on board to help keep his blog afloat as he got busier with his already-busy life. He made convincing arguments and I was soon posting monthly in his space.
Along the way, I connected with the others he’d asked to help and we quickly bonded. None of us had much in common outside of our love of the written word, but we connected and we commented and we bantered (wittily, I might add) and we became friends.
It is because of Dave, then, that I befriended these folks (along with him, Arto and Rob, of course). Since then, I’ve learned that this is not uncommon if you know Dave. He’s a connecter, a bit of a matchmaker. Dave is a people person and he knows people and likes people and cares for people. He will make a phenomenal doctor because he can combine his big-time smarts with that people-liking thing.
To the man from whom I learned that Pussy Riot (one of many favorite Dave posts) is really a band, I wish only good things. Keep being awesome. We’re all in your corner for sure.