Rayve 4 Dayve

d796f88a208cb7995a36f68712058e53

So Dave, then. The reason we’re all here. Whether this is your first visit to The Blog of Funny Names or your 363rd, you owe this corner’s existence to one Mr. King Dave. And today’s post is the fourth in its latest series, dedicated to Dave and his amazing fight.

Fannie, Kerbey and Arto have covered details in earlier posts, so I won’t repeat what they’ve shared. What you need to know is this:

1. Dave Carlson is an amazing young man.
  2. Among many other entrepreneurial ventures, Dave decided to go to medical school to study neurology.
  3. Dave works hard and goes far.
  4. Dave was diagnosed with a brain tumor last November.
  5. Dave is enduring lots and lots of treatment, much of it successful (yay!).
  6. Dave insists on returning to med school (part-time) so he can keep on keeping on with his degree.
  7. Dave has lots of support and is upbeat and still amazing, but it’s a tough road because he has been handed the most ironic of struggles – fighting an illness he was going to school to cure. Sheesh.

Should you want a better explained story, Dave’s sister, Vanessa, tells it well on the GoFundMe page she opened to help him pay for his crazy-a$$ medical expenses.

IMG_7561

And there is also this coverage on San Diego television news.

My job here is to join my comrades in honoring a really cool guy who got played an awful hand in this round of his young life. Along with Fannie, Kerbey, Arto and who knows who else pops up in coming days, let’s consider why even those who have wandered from the blog world (me) have returned to raise a glass to Dave.

Back in the day, I started a food blog. As do most bloggers, I hopped around the blogosphere, checking out other folks’ places as well. And somehow I came upon Dave and his brother Rob’s and buddy Arto’s Blog of Funny Names. At some point, Dave reached out to me along with a handful of bloggers, asking us to come on board to help keep his blog afloat as he got busier with his already-busy life. He made convincing arguments and I was soon posting monthly in his space.

Along the way, I connected with the others he’d asked to help and we quickly bonded. None of us had much in common outside of our love of the written word, but we connected and we commented and we bantered (wittily, I might add) and we became friends.

It is because of Dave, then, that I befriended these folks (along with him, Arto and Rob, of course). Since then, I’ve learned that this is not uncommon if you know Dave. He’s a connecter, a bit of a matchmaker. Dave is a people person and he knows people and likes people and cares for people. He will make a phenomenal doctor because he can combine his big-time smarts with that people-liking thing.

To the man from whom I learned that Pussy Riot (one of many favorite Dave posts) is really a band, I wish only good things. Keep being awesome. We’re all in your corner for sure.

Pussy Riot

There’s always Pussy Riot!

About Liz

Owner of deLizious Food Communications. Projects include recipe development, editing, and formatting; food writing and editing; nutrition analysis; public speaking and cooking instruction. Past and present clients: General Mills, Green Giant Fresh, Hormel, Minnesota Beef Council, Minnesota Soybean, Minnesota Pork Producers, Norwood Promotional Products, Pillsbury, Tad Ware, and Weight Watchers Publishing. Mother of two young girls.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Rayve 4 Dayve

Bravo, Liz! Good summary of the BoFN connections. And so true about the irony of the struggle–but wouldn’t you want your doctor to know exactly what you’re going through? How comforting is it for them to say, “Oh, I feel you. I’ve been there. And this is how I got through it.”

• Liz says:

You’re right on, Kerbey. It’s spooky-strange, really, but life is also spooky-strange as is that photo of Pussy Riot so there you have it. It’s fun to be back here again with all of you πŸ™‚

Yes! I want to be one of the few doctors who can genuinely speak through experience – and hey, perhaps I could just do some consults in the hospital meeting with their brain tumor patients. Most importantly, I’m gonna get through this, with a little help from my friends!

“. . . Liz is back, an oven glove in one hand, an original cocktail in the other, and a wonderful weave of words paying big respect to the man that brought the BoFN crew together . . .”

“. . . the Dave Rave reunion is turning into a Field of Dreams as BoFN’s heavy hitters emerge one by one from the cornfield to play the greatest game of all time . . .”

“. . . like alien abductees, the BoFN crew tells an eerily similar story: a mysterious encounter, an irresistible force, and unlikely bonds friendship for which geography is no obstacle . . .”

• Liz says:

OK, so your blurbs are better than my post! The second one almost had me in tears, lol. But then I saw we were being compared to alien abductees which is maybe not all that far from the truth. Why else would I post a picture of that scary-looking band? Amazed at how you come up with your lines so quickly. Am sure I’ve said this before, diddy, but you have a gift. Thank you for your words πŸ™‚ Am off to look for that original cocktail now. Sounds lovely!

Reblogged this on food for fun and commented:

Departing from regularly scheduled program (which happens to be off the air on Summer Break). Please read. This is important and you might even find it entertaining πŸ™‚

4. Reblogged this on Fannie Cranium's and commented:

Rave For Dave Day 4 at the BoFN. #RaveForDave

5. Cheers, Liz. The clinking you here in the background is from my raised cocktail glass, or maybe is iced coffee with a twist.

And Wdydfae has outdone himself on the blurbs! Wow.

• Liz says:

He floors me, he really does. Did you not tear up at that Field of Dreams imagery? Though I think being abducted by aliens is more likely in our case, haha. Cheers right back at ya’. Iced coffee with a twist sounds dandy.

Thank you Liz! Another lovely tribute from the incredible BoFN team. Every one of these buoys my spirit and keeps me going strongly in my attempts to recover!

• Liz says:

You’re most welcome, my friend. How cool has this been, reuniting everyone. Once again, you da’ matchmaking man. We are all so good together. You keep getting stronger etc. and let us continue to “entertain” you. Ha.

i loved all of these tributes and blurbs from this great blog. you are right about dave being a connector, i think this may be where we met, liz?

• Liz says:

Quite possibly, Beth, unless you stumbled upon food for fun first. So I have him to thank for having met the best kinders teach ever πŸ™‚ Where do you live in Michigan? We might just be happening to leave for that state this Sunday morning. ?? We will go to Mackinac, then Dearborn, then Chicago. ??

• ksbeth says:

that could be, too – aw, thanks, liz. i live in ann arbor, in southeast michigan. have a great trip and let me know if you have an opening in your time – you’ll love mackinac!

• Liz says:

I would do anything to run into you!!! We are spending 2 nights outside of Macinak (14, 15), then 2 in Dearborn (16, 17), then hoping to head to the Indiana Dunes but still looking at possible campsites. We have a hotel in Chicago on the 20th. If there could be any intersection with us, let me know!

Such a lovely write-up, Liz! I never thought I’d say that for something containing the words “pussy riot”, but there it is!

9. amb says:

Such a great post Liz! So evocative of all the threads of the interwebs that our Dave has brought together through the goodness of funny names! Thanks for sharing.

• Liz says:

Happy to have done my part, you know. Fun to read yours, too. Returned from a few weeks traveling with the family so just now catching up. So many great posts rayving for King Dave πŸ˜€