Watty Piper

“I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.” The words of the Little Engine That Could have inspired young children to reach beyond themselves since the beginning of the last century. The story was originally named The Pony Engine.  The story became famous when renamed and retold by Watty Piper and published by Platt & Munk. Turns out Watty Piper is the pen name of Arnold Munk, one of the owners of Platt & Munk.

Arnold Munk a.k.a. Watty Piper. Photo copyright of Janet Fenton, Mr. Munk’s daughter.

Under the energized name of Watty, Mr. Munk authored many children’s books and edited many of the books published by Platt & Munk during his time with the publishing house. Mr. Munk passed in 1957, but his story lives on inspiring many generations of youngsters to think they can.

Tracy – Fannie Cranium’s Guide to Irreverent Wisdom

***

Please consider donating to our founder, Dave, and his fight against a cancerous brain tumor, all while he doing his residency to learn to fight the very thing he is battling.

About Fannie Cranium

Writing since she could first hold a pen, Tracy Perkins formed her alter ego, "Fannie Cranium" at the suggestion of her husband. Tracy understands smiling makes people wonder what she’s been up to.
This entry was posted in Funny Author Names and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Watty Piper

1. Reblogged this on Fannie Cranium's and commented:

Need motivation, or just a reason to smile, meet Watty Piper, editor of “The Little Engine That Could” over at the BoFN.

2. Bumba says:

All my best wishes to Dave. Didn’t know for sure that he was sick. I used to enjoy the Funny Names Blog more often than a normal person would. Dave has a great spirit. I wish him my best, and I’ll look into contributing something.

“. . . Fannie wades into some wild waters with her wonderful Watty Piper post . . .”

“. . . Whatta Pity Fannie doesn’t post every day! . . .”

“. . . It’s a scream doing letter scrambles with Fannie’s latest: Watty Piper, Patty Wiper, Tatty Wipper, Papery Twit, Witty Paper, Pattery Wip . . . The fun never stops . . .”

Peter pauper picked a patty whipper. if patty whipper packed a puck of pickled pups, then pesky pastries parked a Watty Piper. now everyone is happy.

(A parenthetical pronouncement: ksbeth needs posting privileges pronto!)

When Watty Piper felt sorry for himself, it would have been a . . . (wait for it) . . .

Watty Piper pity party.