Top Posts & Pages
- Majestic Mapp and Scientific Mapp: A March Madness Basketball Legacy
- Joe Btfsplk: Oh Vowels, Where Art Thou?
- What's your favorite Santa Claus Name?
- Milana Vayntrub--who?
- Nipsey Russell
- Guppy Troup
- Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso
- Clopton Havers, Bone Master
- Verlin E. "Lew" Jenkins, "The Sweet Swatter from Sweetwater, Texas"
Most Popular Names
Category Archives: funny names in baseball
“Friendship at first sight, like love at first sight, is said to be the only truth.”–Herman Melville Call me Doofus. Some years ago–never mind how long precisely–having little or no life, and nothing in particular to interest me in … Continue reading
If ever a man was born to play on a certain sports team, it is Steven Jakob Matz. When the New York Mets take the field tonight in Queens, N.Y., hosting game four of the National League Division Series against … Continue reading
At the end of last month, my New York Mets traded for an outfielder by the name of Yoenis Céspedes. Yoenis Céspedes Milanés to be exact. This good baseball guy is a 29-year-old native of Cuba, which means that for … Continue reading
“Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often have you seen a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?”–Jim Boutan I don’t know if baseball players are smarter than football players. But I do know that, in … Continue reading
Watching the New York Mets on a bulky console black-and-white TV and hearing a curious old guy make men thrusting microphones into his face laugh by the way he mangled our language is one of my earliest and fondest little-kid … Continue reading