Top Posts & Pages
- Majestic Mapp and Scientific Mapp: A March Madness Basketball Legacy
- Goodbye Stephen Colbert & Munchma Quchi, and Hello Brandybuck Cumberbund! It's Funny Names in the News 95!
- Milana Vayntrub--who?
- The Eephus Pitch
- Moira Quirk
- Mr. Bojangles
- Gump Worsley Had the Name and Face for Hockey
- Without Akeeba and Rose, We Wouldn't Have Neil Leslie Diamond's Touching Story
- Joe Btfsplk: Oh Vowels, Where Art Thou?
- Funny Names in the Olympics Continued : Funniest Olympic Medalist Names Of All Time
Most Popular Names
Tag Archives: Frank Zappa
Waka/Jawaka, Zoot Allures! and Sheik Yerbouti: Toward a Neo Pre Post-Critical Para(dig)m in Named “Humoro(us)ness”
Guest contribution by Wendelyn Dufeaux (PhD), Professor of Arts and Humanities at DaveArto Institute for Advanced Cultural Studies, Boffen University To interrogate Funny Name “Theory”, as Camarilla Brilo has in Named Funniness: De-Colonizing Humoric Nominalism, is to disclose its underlying … Continue reading
As chronicled in the liner notes of Frank Zappa‘s The Grand Wazoo (1972), a mad genius named Uncle Meat creates a “a life-size, minutely detailed, historically inaccurate, somewhat perverted illusionary replica of ANCIENT ROME or something.” The ruler of this … Continue reading
Vocalist, poet, instrumentalist, songwriter, bandleader, sometime collaborator with his hometown pal and rival Frank Zappa, and (in his last decades) a critically acclaimed painter, Don Van Vliet, born with the name Don Glen Vliet, is known to most as Captain … Continue reading